Titans Chris Johson Not Happy About 2008 Offensive Rookie Of The Year Award

Mike

Administrator
NOT HAPPY: Titans running back Chris Johnson said Wednesday that if players voted for Offensive Rookie of the Year, he believes that he, not Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, would have won the award.

The award is voted upon by a panel of 50 media members from across the nation and is overseen by the Associated Press. Ryan received 44 votes, while Johnson, the runner-up, received just three votes.

“Of course, it would have been different,” Johnson said. “I had the most votes of any rookie [for the Pro Bowl], more than Matt Ryan. I’m the only one that made it to the Pro Bowl out of all the rookies.”

Pro Bowl balloting is done in thirds, with fan vote, player vote and coaches votes each counting one-third in the process.

“He’s a good player, and he played quarterback and did a good job this year,” Johnson said of Ryan, who guided the Falcons to an 11-5 record and a playoff berth. “But the whole thing is bogus, because people are voting for it that are not on the same field as the people who are playing.

“I’m disappointed. I did all I could to win it. I feel I did the best. I feel I did all I could do to win it; it just didn’t come my way.”

Ryan threw for 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, posting 3,440 yards and an 87.7 passer rating.

Johnson rushed for 1,228 yards and nine touchdowns for the Titans.

Full Story

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
hes a fool. he had the most votes of rookies because the AFC rb class blows this year. if he had been in the nfc instead, he wouldve been lucky to get a few votes.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
I've seen this guy in previous interviews and always thought he was a punk, this just confirms my suspicions. As far as RB's go, Forte is more deserving than Chris Johnson IMO.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Chris Johnson is the man - that's why he's my avatar.

I can fully understand people voting for Matt Ryan and Matt Forte instead, but Chris Johnson probably did do more with the opportunities he was given than either of those players. If Lendale "Doughnuts" White didn't steal all the goal line TDs people would have recognized just how good CJ was.

Unfortunately for him, Lendale is the biggest TD vulture there is and many people didn't know who Chris Johnson was - even after the draft.

Runnik's Hambones

I freaking love Chris Johnson, and I agree that he deserved the rookie MVP. Like Birdman said, Lendale had the TD value on that team and that held Chris from having a career year in his rookie season alone. Chris Johnson is awesome.

Mike

Administrator
Chris Johnson needs to get smart, real quick, and learn to now worry about popularity crap like this. Concentrate on getting the ball in the endzone during the playoffs, win a Super Bowl, and you can tell all the other rookies to stick their meaningless rewards up their rear without ever saying a word.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Quite honestly, I think any of the rookie Rbs could have earned this award. Slaton is the only question mark since he did not start right away.....

But it is very, very difficult to start and be successful at Qb as a rookie. Very, very few have done it. So I guess I can't be too disappointed Ryan won it.

Heck, look at how well Atlanta did. And most of you had them the worst team this year.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Slaton meant more to the Texans than some of the other guys did to their teams. Definately worthy of consideration.

gmrcharity

If anyone watched the ECU/Kentucky game last night you would see why Johnson speaks the way that he does. I cannot believe that they allowed this guy to speak on National Television as he just made his Alma Mater look illiterate. I want to know if this guy actually went to class because he speaks like a 15 year old kid from the streets who didnt graduate from the 5th grade.

Its a shame these guys get scholarships.

dukdown

Banned
I personally had him downgraded in last year's draft after hearing his interviews. But the guy can ball, pure and simple. He's why NFL personel guys time players. You just can't teach 4.2 speed.

gmrcharity

I agree Duk the guy is a player but how can people actually take the academics at this School seriously after hearing this guy.

Reminded me of the old Uconn Basketball teams of the late 80's and early 90's. I think the only one that could speak was Donyell Marshall, the rest of them were completely illiterate and it was quite talked about.

Mike

Administrator
So how a person speaks is how you gauge their intelligence and whether they went to class or not?

gmrcharity

Mike dont start a war and just watch the interview. The guy sounded like he was 15 and living on the streets. I am sorry but you shouldnt talk like that if you have a scholarship to a school and graduate from that school.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
maybe dont start with the rascist comments. how about that?

the guy doesnt sound like someone youd have a dinner conversation with. on with life.