The QB Wait game

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Early mocks appear to be in no hurry to take a QB....even the top tier. Highest ADP's on FF Calc at QB in ppr/flex drafts are 4th rd.

Newton 4.1
Rogers 4.3
Luck 5.5

With the top tier falling this far....looks to be the wait game at QB this year, but if you can get a top tier QB in the 4th or 5th....hell IMO that is waiting long enough! If I can get a cope of 3-4 WR/RB's and still grab one of the 3 above or even a Big Ben type....I have no problem going with a premium QB. If we were talking 2nd to early 3rd, nah, I'll wait, but if this value holds (something tells me it won't) I may be a player on this top tier of QB.

Where are you on getting a top 3 WB at these spots?

If you do wait, who are a couple 8+ rd QB's you like as a platoon combo?

Bortles/Dalton/Cousins/Carr - 2 of these would be OK for me.

ExperiencedRookie

I've been pretty hung up on Ben around rounds 6-7. While I do like some guys later on, I don't think any of them has the PPG upside that Ben does.

cctekguy

Staff member
Rivers and Romo @ 9 & 10 respectively are attractive to me.

Both proven performers with some new (or repaired) toys in their toy box.

Carr is in the same area and could make Carr/Cooper household names this year.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
Ben's overrated IMO even more so with no Bryant or Miller... so is Cam. Luck and Rodgers strike me as potential bounce back deals. If they fall to a certain point I'll snag one of them or Brees. If not, I'm waiting and grabbing rivers or eli...I'm even considering just streaming low rent QB's weekly because it was so effective in DFS for me last year.

Last edited:

ExperiencedRookie

Rivers and Romo @ 9 & 10 respectively are attractive to me.

Both proven performers with some new (or repaired) toys in their toy box.

Carr is in the same area and could make Carr/Cooper household names this year.
Carr feels like Dalton to me. Some nice games, a stud WR who performs well, but has a ceiling of being maybe the 8th best overall QB.

ExperiencedRookie

Is the 8th best QB a bad thing in the 9th/10th rd?
Of course not.,.assumimg he hits his ceiling.

Not much risk if you pair him up with a couple other QBs in that range.

I got burned by this strategy many times though. Last year I tried it with Stafford and Matt Ryan, and it was incredibly frustrating. Impossible to pick the right guy every week, and neither one broke out. Stafford took his sweet ass time, not putting up much stats until week 10

efactor

Coming at you
As much as I detest him, Wilson in the 6th is my target for IBL

Rushing yards are an obvious attraction, and their passing offense was excellent when they went to the shorter passing game last year.

hikeNbike

I'd like to pick up Rodgers in the 4th. Think I'd be all over that one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cctekguy

Staff member
I'm gonna take the paper bag off my head for a minute and say this.

Though I probably won't draft him, I'm keeping a keen eye on Brock and those pass happy Texans. :)

Dunno what it is, but a 6'8" pocket passer just seems to have an advantage to me. Maybe one day it will play out that way.

Arctic Dawgs

Never been to those sites. Just use MFL but I filter out mocks and set league size for whatever size league I am researching for

This seems to be the commonly used around here:

Average Draft Position (ADP) - Fantasy Football 2016

I also use this one to compare and it's usually much different:

2016 Fantasy Football Average Draft Position (ADP)

ie: the following is for 12 team, PPR redrafts, Off only, Real Drafts (no mocks), including injured players

Cam 22
Rodgers 33
Luck 34.5
Wilson 37
Brees 60.5
Rothlesburger 61.5
Bortles 71
Brady 72
Palmer 87
Carr 88
Winston 88.5
Manning 95.5
Rivers 96
Mariota 104.5
Cousins 107.5
Stafford 116.5
Taylor 124
Dalton 125.5
Romo 129.5
Ryan 131

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I like to wait at qB, if I can get a Bortles or Carr or Eli later, then I am good, and can focus on Wr and Rb earlier.

I would love to have a Rodgers or Luck...but to me the value is not worth the cost.

Romo or Dalton later also are really good values.

ExperiencedRookie

My problem is that I get into the middle rounds(5-7), I already have a solid group of RBs and WRs and then I see Big Ben out there. I'm not in love with many players in that range, and most of them are probably pretty average anyways

hikeNbike

Man that's 10 th round for Romo. If I could get Romo and pair with Taylor or Cousins

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk