RRod given the boot by Brandon, Wolverines

maverick824

UM ended the tenure of RRod this morning, a firing that should have came after the OSU game. Well, it should have came 2 years earlier, after the 3-9 year and the NCAA probs, but ehh......now, who do we land???? Here's the wish list......

1 Jim Harbaugh - Likelyhood - 18% - This is the Les Miles of 3 years ago with frosting, cherries, and all that extra gooey goodness. Pros - UM alum, strong ties to the program, understands the fan base/culture. Cons - Martin (former AD) pissed him off by basically saying he'd never be a candidate at UM, #1 coach on the market, will cost a small fortune, something UM never does.

2 Les Miles - Likelyhood - 2% - The Les Miles of now is coming off a great year, is happy at LSU, and if they're not willing to pay the moon for Harbaugh, no way they buy out Miles' deal, which would cost more.

3 Brady Hoke - Likelyhood - 75% - SDSU coach, built a strong program at 2 diff stops, asst to Carr from 95 to 02. He's likely to be tabbed the guy if Harbaugh says no, but he's pretty unknown on a big school level. Nice safety net, though, he runs a pro style O and has some potential. Not the worst hire in the world at all.

Outsiders - Likelyhood 5% - After the RRod shenanigans, the boosters will be very wary of Mr. Outside Hire without major name recognition. The short list of unlikelys? Jon Gruden (on record as UM being his dream job), Chris Peterson, Mike Stoops, and Kyle Whittingham.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I really want Harbough. I don't know about Hoke. Rich Rod really blew all his chances in that bowl game, losing by that much. Michigan football is a mess right now. It's a very sad time.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Reports I heard an hour ago was this is noit official yet, but e1 assumes it is just a formality.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I'd put the chance of Les coming on board there a bit higher than 2% though I hope it doesn't happen. Les could get sick of the fickle, so called Tiger fans calling for his head everytime we don't end up in the title game. It would serve the many that aren't really fans at all right. I do not expect him to leave though. I'm just venting a tad about the stupidity of so many jerks with big mouths.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
No way Les leaves for UM. UM is a job for some coach trying to make a comeback not to continue the greatness. Its a mess at UM and will take years to fix and losing to OSU each yar til the turn around wont help any coach.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Miles has a team coming back that will be a preseason top 5.....

Michigan has a mess that will take 3 years to fix.....

Les is not going to michigan.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Les knows he is one more 4-5 loss year from being shown the door. He'd take the job if they offered it.

maverick824

Basically, the Detroit "media" had sources RRod had been let go. Since Detroit (more specifically the Free Press) is wrong more than any other major news market, I'm taking the Harbaugh "source" as garbage as well. This is the exact reason Martin "retired" as Michigan AD, and Brandon was hired. UM's boosters want Harbaugh, period. I guarantee the discussions between Harbaugh and UM are happening now, and have been since Stanford's bowl win. I'd guess that he either turned them down outright, or is still on the fence about it, and that left RRod still hanging. There's a real possibility, however remote, that Brandon is waiting on Harbaugh's answer before deciding on RRod. Would make perfect sense too. As much as I detest the man, his offense can score points. Instead of settling for our 3rd option like we did with RRod in the 1st place, if Harbaugh does say no, it's quite possible they keep RRod for 1 more year with the condition that Greg Robinson is let go and the 3-3-5 is thrown in a trash barrel and set ablaze. This gives them another year to let Brady Hoke show them he's their future coach.

Les Miles to UM this year is just not happening. When Herbstreit focked UM out of Miles the 1st time, his shiny new LSU contract came equipped with a big-time buyout if UM came calling again. If Michigan were truly willing to both pay Miles what he's making now (top 5 contract in CFB) AND pay his buyout to LSU, they'd simply offer Harbaugh about 6-7 mil a year to coach UM. As far as bringing UM "back," I think Miller's right, depending on the coach. Harbaugh might have em there contending for B10 in 2 years, anyone else, 3+ is a safer bet.

No thoughts on Gruden? I thought I'd get eaten alive for that one LOL.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I think Harbaugh will take 3 years. You have to keep in mind that if they hire Harbaugh now, they do not have many players that fit his pro style offense. He is starting over. He will need the first 2 seasons to simply get his players in place and year 3 he will take a HUGE step forward IMO.

Michigan fans will need to learn what the word patience means.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
RichRod and David Brandon are having another meeting today. f@ckin media yesterday was crazy with all the stories, RR fired, RR staying. It was all over the radio all day. I listen to sports radio all day at work, in Michigan, and it was a circuss. One "source" calls in and says he's fired, then another "source" calls in and says he's not fired.

Right now, if Harbough isn't coming, I'd probably keep Rich Rod and fire the defensive coordinator. get rid of that retarded 3-3-5 scheme and get a real football defense in there. You need a 3-4 or 4-3 in the Big Ten. These kids are still raw and young. They should be able to transition into a 3-4 or 4-3 and be much better.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Michigan fans will need to learn what the word patience means.

I've had to learn patience this year with football. But I just can't stand that putrid defensive scheme. I have been patient with the Lions for so long, and now they are looking good.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Rich Rod officially out as Michigan head coach. Now there is a vacancy. We'll see what David Brandon does now. He's getting killed with Harbough questions right now in his presser.