Rams set to play in London for next three seasons

Coachnorm

It is an interesting move as The Rams become the Home team for the Game every year. Maybe the crowds in England will develop more of a rapport with a home team that actually plays there every year.

xqj47alpha

Banned
It is an interesting move as The Rams become the Home team for the Game every year. Maybe the crowds in England will develop more of a rapport with a home team that actually plays there every year.
Isn't that a cruel thing to do, even to the English, Coach?
although your reason makes perfect sense.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust

Supposidly from what i heard on 1010 sports radio yesterday is that is exactly the idea of them being the home team for more of a following there. Seems like a good idea, but couldn't they have at least optioned with a better team?

TurfPro

Outlaw Gopher Slayer
Is it coincidence that the Rams' present lease expires after 3 more seasons? Could Rams owner Kroenke be planning a BIG move then? He owns a London soccer team, BTW.....

Coachnorm

That is some interesting intel, Turfpro!!

I wonder if they asked Fisher if he would mind living in England before the hire?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Would have made more sence if they had sent them to France. Sure hope they don't make the Seahawks fly out there to play

Now that would be some jetlag....it would make for an entertaining rant from you after it is announced though ;)

Arctic Dawgs

LOL, Apparently noone in the Ewes organization bothered to read their lease
found this on a "Seahawks" board

St. Louis says Rams can’t play in London
Posted by Mike Florio on January 27, 2012, 5:28 PM EST

The Rams plan to play a home game in each of the next three seasons in London. The powers-that-be in St. Louis apparently plan to prevent that.

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission believes that the team’s lease at the Edward Jones Dome requires all home games to be played there. The CVC manages the stadium.

“We immediately brought this to the Rams’ attention and are awaiting their response,” the CVC said in a statement. “Our lease with the Rams requires that the Rams play all their home games in the Edward Jones Dome.”

Per the Post-Dispatch, the Rams’ lease requires the team “to play all its home NFL Games (other than pre-season NFL Games) at the Facilities.” The Rams can avoid that obligation if, per the Post-Dispatch, the stadium “is not in useable condition or if the lease is terminated.”

The Rams have not yet stated their position on this issue. If it lands in litigation in a Missouri state court, look for the court system to lean toward the CVC’s interests. Elected judges tend to keep an eye on the electorate, and the local electorate will be ecstatic if the Rams can’t take the upcoming game against the Patriots to London.

xqj47alpha

Banned
I have to believe this type of wording has been defeated simply because it's boiler-plate.

Other teams have played 'home' games in London.

If the contract went further and said, "Eight games shall be played here without exception unless exigent circumstance shall exist."

or something like that.

All the current K with the stadium says is the Rams can't play home games at home any where else.

I guess the key will be in the contract definitions.
What is the definition of a home game in the contract?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Saints had to play every home game away from the Superdome following Katrina which was understandable but then the NFL sent them overseas right after the Dome was reopened, talking about ****ing off some fans. Every team should be shuffled overseas if they're going to keep doing this.

xqj47alpha

Banned
sounds like precedent to me.

just imagine a stadium dictating to the NFL.

dang, try to imagine anyone (other than Al Davis) dictating to the NFL.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I wish the cities luck here. So many tax dollars go into the infastructure, not to mention outright cash payments supporting these teams that it doesn't seem fair to me to remove a game from the supporting fans.

xqj47alpha

Banned
Perhaps season ticket holders should be given the right of first refusal and discounted air fare for these away-home games.

I wonder what kind of algorithm spit out the Rams for three years as the prime choice to showcase the NFL overseas?

Arctic Dawgs

Apparently the Pats had the 1st kick at the Ewes in London, but due to the Stadium issues ticket sales for the game have been suspended.

Goodell confirms that the NFL will still have a game in London no matter though

When the Rams signed up to play one London home game each season from 2012-2014, team owner Stan Kroenke called it “a tremendous honor for our franchise, the city of St. Louis and our fans throughout the world” and how “this is a great platform to showcase the city of St. Louis to London and the UK.”

Then, we found out that, by playing in London, the Rams could violate their Edward Jones Dome lease with the city of St. Louis. Now, because the status of the game is unknown, the AP reports that ticket sales have been suspended for the Oct. 28 game between the Rams and Patriots.

NFL UK says it expects ticket sales to resume soon and that the Rams are working to "finalize the technical amendments to the lease required under the terms of the Rams' commitment to London."

But if the Rams can’t figure out a way around the lease issue, that won’t stop the NFL from continuing its international series next season at Wembley Stadium.

“Well, we’re going to play the London games, “commissioner Roger Goodell said at his Friday news conference. “We hope it will be with the Rams and the New England Patriots next year. That’s what we planned. I think it’s great for the community of St. Louis to be able to get that global exposure, but there are issues that obviously are going to have to get resolved. We know there are discussions going on. We hope that they will get resolved shortly, and once that’s resolved we’ll make decisions from there, but we will be playing in London next year.”

xqj47alpha

Banned
it's very simple.
the dome contract for home games was a known.

You make the deal and then negotiate your way through.

Every team has the same deal.