Play QB Vince Young Or Else?

Coachnorm

Titans owner Bud Adams told the Nashville Tennessean that he wants to see Vince Young play more going forward. Adams has always been a Young advocate but has left the results orientated Fisher to do it his way. With the way the results are going there could be some use/start Young pressure developing now.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I take it ole Bud desires to see Young in the game as a defensive back becaause without DB's no QB will turn the Titans around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I cant believe the loss of one coach and one non-skill player takes a team from 13-4 to 0-6. Wow.

Mike

Administrator
I cant believe the loss of one coach and one non-skill player takes a team from 13-4 to 0-6. Wow.

It's really not that hard to believe.

When this team switched from Vince Young to Kerry Collins, it was an unexpected change and no team was prepared for it. Add to that, Chris Johnson caught the league by surprise. While everyone ridiculed the Titans for the pick, all he did was perform at an extremely high level.

The team proceeded to go 9-0 with Collins, against what turned out to be a pretty mediocre schedule. Couple tough games mixed in with some struggling teams. I won't give Collins credit for the first win because he entered that game with a lead.

Titans finished the season 3-3, 3-4 counting the playoffs.

If you watched this team during the course of the season, teams were starting to figure out how to pressure this team pretty well, and it carried on to this season.

The loss of Haynesworth and Shwartz only compounded the problem. Teams knew that the defense wouldn't be as strong, and the knew they could hurt this offense by forcing Collins to win these games, which he can't. The failure of Collins at the QB position is forcing a weaker defense to constantly stay out on the field.
The result? This team doesn't stand a chance.

Said pretty much the same thing back in April: http://www.sofantasyfootball.com/nfl/f2/vince-young-says-hell-shut-up-2009-a-27007/#post294138

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
It's really not that hard to believe.

When this team switched from Vince Young to Kerry Collins, it was an unexpected change and no team was prepared for it. Add to that, Chris Johnson caught the league by surprise. While everyone ridiculed the Titans for the pick, all he did was perform at an extremely high level.

The team proceeded to go 9-0 with Collins, against what turned out to be a pretty mediocre schedule. Couple tough games mixed in with some struggling teams. I won't give Collins credit for the first win because he entered that game with a lead.

Titans finished the season 3-3, 3-4 counting the playoffs.

If you watched this team during the course of the season, teams were starting to figure out how to pressure this team pretty well, and it carried on to this season.

The loss of Haynesworth and Shwartz only compounded the problem. Teams knew that the defense wouldn't be as strong, and the knew they could hurt this offense by forcing Collins to win these games, which he can't. The failure of Collins at the QB position is forcing a weaker defense to constantly stay out on the field.
The result? This team doesn't stand a chance.

Said pretty much the same thing back in April: http://www.sofantasyfootball.com/nfl/f2/vince-young-says-hell-shut-up-2009-a-27007/#post294138

I will add more to this. I think the key is the fact that they have gotten away from what made them successful. When Tenn. was great, the defense was stiffling and the running game relied on both parts (White and C.J.) to pound and tire the other defense. You cannot win relying on Collins, he has proven that in his past career.

As for the loss of Schwartz and Haynesworth....those aren't the only losses. They have had secondary issues for two years now, and the LB depth is also an issue.

This team is not set up to be a high scoring offense. It was built to keep the ball, run and control clock and field position. However, when your defense is giving up yards like candy on halloween...you can't do that...and Tenn. will suck because of it. V.Y. is not the answer either.

Mike

Administrator
Your defense is going to give up yards like this, and injuries on defense are going to continue to mount when your offense constantly goes 3 and out or worse.

Opposing defenses are playing the run very strong. In order for the Titans offense to sustain drives, Kerry Collins has to be able to consistently make plays, which he cannot.

This Titans team is looking identical to the Titans team from 2006 with Collins under center. The team was unable to sustain any drives, and the defense was getting hammered.

Now, you have a team that looks like it has quit, or is on the verge of quitting. It is impossible to convince 52 other guys to go out and play 60 minutes at 100% when they begin to realize the game is lost before they ever step foot on the field. Remember the Houston Texans/David Carr? Pretty clear that team had quit on the quarterback as well.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Your defense is going to give up yards like this, and injuries on defense are going to continue to mount when your offense constantly goes 3 and out or worse.

Opposing defenses are playing the run very strong. In order for the Titans offense to sustain drives, Kerry Collins has to be able to consistently make plays, which he cannot.

This Titans team is looking identical to the Titans team from 2006 with Collins under center. The team was unable to sustain any drives, and the defense was getting hammered.

Now, you have a team that looks like it has quit, or is on the verge of quitting. It is impossible to convince 52 other guys to go out and play 60 minutes at 100% when they begin to realize the game is lost before they ever step foot on the field. Remember the Houston Texans/David Carr? Pretty clear that team had quit on the quarterback as well.
Oh, I agree here..but I think they still abandon the run way too early, and have not used white near enough...or Ringer the rookie.

Still, I also agree Collins is not the answer at Qb...I also still don't think Young is either...but I DO think you have to play him now..and see what he really has.

Mike

Administrator
Only response I can have in regards to Young is that the team was a winner when he was on the field. He isn't your typical quarterback right now, and may never be, but it is supposed be about results (wins and losses).

I expect that Young will be in the lineup very soon. Unfortunately, this is now a beaten down team, and anything other than "immediate" success by this team with Vince Young under center is going to draw huge criticism, and very quick announcements of Vince Young as a failed quarterback.

And while it is really the wrong thing to do, part of me would have to smile right now if Vince Young simply did not embrace this as "his team" and just looked to get traded. I personally think he was dealt with very poorly by the organization and not having an open competition for the starting job this season was a huge mistake. As big of a Fisher fan as I have been for years, I would probably fire him for this if I was the owner.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Only response I can have in regards to Young is that the team was a winner when he was on the field. He isn't your typical quarterback right now, and may never be, but it is supposed be about results (wins and losses).

I expect that Young will be in the lineup very soon. Unfortunately, this is now a beaten down team, and anything other than "immediate" success by this team with Vince Young under center is going to draw huge criticism, and very quick announcements of Vince Young as a failed quarterback.

And while it is really the wrong thing to do, part of me would have to smile right now if Vince Young simply did not embrace this as "his team" and just looked to get traded. I personally think he was dealt with very poorly by the organization and not having an open competition for the starting job this season was a huge mistake. As big of a Fisher fan as I have been for years, I would probably fire him for this if I was the owner.
to a point I can agree. However, V.Y. has to own some of the issues here. He was the one who quit on the team first, and that whole debacle of last season. Jeff Fischer is too good a coach to quit on a player if that player deserves to play. I honestly think the ONLY reason V.Y. is still on this team is due to the owner, not Fischer.

I think this was failure on both parts. V.Y. for being too immature in previous years, and the coaches this year for not even giving him a shot to win the job to prove to his team he has matured. Can he go elsewhere and win? Don't know.

I also wonder if it is not the end of Fischer as well. Some times you stay too long and you lose the team or the concept. Change may be needed. I don't think he will be out of coaching long though if they do let him go.

Mike

Administrator
I say "probably" in regards to firing Fisher, mainly because there are too many unknown details. The whole debacle last season simply has too many unknowns and assumptions. I personally think alot of people with pens and paper in their hands ran wild with assumed rumors and expanded on them as much as possible to get attention.

I do know that Vince Young did let his emotions get the better of him on the field, and that was a clear sign of immaturity. I don't think he quit on his team. I do believe he was injured. What happened after that I do not know, nor does anybody here.

What I do know is that a team has reverted back to losing, and showed to me 100% that they are quitting. So what now? for those that do believe Vince Young quit on his team, should Fisher now bench the majority of this team?

Mike

Administrator
Do the Titans use their low draft pick to take a QB this year?

Even if they do give up on Vince Young, I think that would be foolish. There are quarterbacks out there who were good NFL prospects, but quickly buried in the depth chart that they could do some offseason trading for.