NFC Championship Game Discussion Thread - Saints vs Vikings

Remote Controller

I'm a fan of both teams but I want Brett to win! :thrash:

I find it ironic that there are 3 qb's left with ties to the SuperDome, the City of New Orleans, or the Saints. Favre is from the area. Manning is a native son who's dad was Saints Football, and Bree's has resurrected a franchise and helped motivate a team, and a City!

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I think the Vikings will cause New Orleans alot of trouble. I dont see them matching up too well defensively with Rice, Harvin, Berrian, and Peterson...and then there is that pesky Shiancoe, who counting the playoffs has what, 12 TDs this year?

Remote Controller

I think the Vikings will cause New Orleans alot of trouble. I dont see them matching up too well defensively with Rice, Harvin, Berrian, and Peterson...and then there is that pesky Shiancoe, who counting the playoffs has what, 12 TDs this year?
....and Chester Taylor and Kleinsasser!!

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
I disagree. True, both offenses are like a Swiss Army knife. But these defenses didn't schlep their way to the NFC Championship game.

Darren Sharper lead the NFL in interceptions during the regular season and Farve's arm technique isn't exactly undocumented. Jared Allen is 2nd in sacks, but NOS Will Smith is right behind him. Both teams two-step fairly equally in sacks department as well.

The only question I see is: which team will prepare like this game is their last, and which team will take their success for granted?

At this point, I'm cheerleading for the NFC South. But I'd be just as proudly represented by Nikki's Vikings.

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
I really think the team the makes the least amount of mistakes will win. We know Favre and his INT and if New Orleans can put points on the board when these mistakes are made will win and same with Minnesota if they cause pressure on Brees and he has INT or we get some fumbles then Vikes need to make sure they they also score with those mistakes.

Im not worried when NO scores i think Vikes can march down and score as well. Its going to be those mistakes that are made that is going to be key.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
I'll definitely be rooting for the Vikes in this one, but I won't be betting on them marching into the SuperDome and pulling it off. Should be a shootout, my head says NO wins 38-30, my heart says go Vikes!

cctekguy

Staff member
I kinda like the Vikes, despite Favre and his less than professional antics over the last few years.

I see them as a very tough match-up for the Saints.

It wouldn't kill me to see the Purple and Gold in the SB.

.....But I LOVE the Saints, I LOVE Drew Brees and I LOVE Sean Payton. The Saints are SO due for a SB appearance and I think they match up better against the Colts.

I've picked the Vikes to win but I am SO PRAYING for a miracle on this one.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
What great potential for great story lines to meet.

You have the team that has helped resurrect a city....from devistation.

vs.

The Qb who is back and driven to win one more title.

I just hope this lives up to be the game I think it will. I can say I am totally non-caring who wins...as I am fine with either. But I hope this turns out to be the best game of the year.

eaglechick

I'm back :)
i gotta lotta love in my heart for the saints and mr. brees, and i think they can pull it out. for nikki's sake i'll be happy if the vikes win, but i really don't like brett very much after the past few off-seasons...

Remote Controller

I stumbled upon this, and found it interesting.
----------------------------------------------

Sports are built on rivalries.

And when it comes to rivalries and the New Orleans Saints, a few teams come to mind.

The obvious one is the NFC South rival Atlanta Falcons. The Saints have played no other team more than they've played the Falcons, and the series is pretty evenly matched, with Atlanta leading, 43-38.

There is also former NFC West rival San Francisco. The 49ers were a dynasty throughout the 1980s, right around the time that the Saints were having their best stretch, finishing with records of 12-3, 10-6, 11-5 and 12-4 between 1987 and 1992.

Of course, when the Saints finished 12-3, the 49ers finished 13-2. When they finished 12-4, the 49ers again outdid them, finishing 14-2.

The Saints have a had a few other intense rivalries — the Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Carolina Panthers. And just like most people in this country that aren't Dallas Cowboys fans, Saints fans dread “America's Team.”

But there might be one team that has been more of a nuisance to the Saints than any other in the NFL.

That team is the Minnesota Vikings, this weekend's opponent in the NFC championship game.

The Saints and Vikings have played 25 times, and the Vikings are 18-7 in those meetings.

Where the nuisance part comes into play is in how those games have impacted the Saints.

Think back to 1987. The Saints finished the NFL's strike-shortened season a then-franchise best, 12-3, making their first playoff appearance on a nine-game winning streak.

Their opponent in the wild-card round was the Minnesota Vikings. After Bobby Hebert found Eric Martin for an early touchdown, the Vikings scored 31 first-half points en route to a 44-10 win.
The Saints made the playoffs three more times between 1988-92, losing their first game each time.

Their return trip to the playoffs came in 2000, then Coach Jim Haslett's first season.

The Saints ended their four-game playoff losing streak, beating the Rams, 31-28, in the wild-card round.

The Saints first-ever playoff win set up a divisional round matchup with the Vikings.

Time for sweet revenge?

Not quite.

The Vikings led 17-3 at halftime, and used big plays — Vikings receiver Randy Moss finished with two catches for 121 yards and two touchdowns — to end the Saints playoff run in the second round.
That was the last playoff meeting between the teams.

But they have met since then.

In 2002, a 3-10 Vikings team came the Superdome to play a 9-4 Saints team. The Saints needed just one win in their final three games to clinch a playoff spot. Instead the Vikings sent the Saints on a three-game losing streak when quarterback Daunte Culpepper fumbled the snap on a two-point conversion attempt, picked up the ball then walked untouched into the end zone for a 32-31 Minnesota win.

Two years later, in 2004, the Vikings beat the Saints, 38-31, in a Sunday night game. The Saints finished that season 8-8, but lost out on the playoffs in a three-way tie with the Vikings and Rams. Had the Vikings beat the Redskins in Week 17, the Saints would have been in a tie with just the Rams and made the playoffs. Instead, the Vikings lost to Washington, 21-18.

Of course, there is also last season's Monday night game, when the Vikings beat the Saints, 30-27.

So, while the Vikings might not be a primary rival, there is definitely some bad blood between the franchises. The Vikings have come out on top most of the time.