Mangini hinting at QB competition in Cleveland

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
He mentioned in his presser he would evaluate them both in the off season. I didn't expect him to come out and declare a starter as it would take away his leverage in trading either DA or Quinn. But he doesn't have a heck of alot of time as DA is due a $5m roster bonus and assured salary if he is still a Turd in March.

All signs point to DA being delt for players or picks before the March deadline. Wise move or should he eat the starter $$$ for a guy holding a clipboard?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
He mentioned in his presser he would evaluate them both in the off season. I didn't expect him to come out and declare a starter as it would take away his leverage in trading either DA or Quinn. But he doesn't have a heck of alot of time as DA is due a $5m roster bonus and assured salary if he is still a Turd in March.

All signs point to DA being delt for players or picks before the March deadline. Wise move or should he eat the starter $$$ for a guy holding a clipboard?
Interesting.

So Detroit or Minny or some other Qb needing team could possibly swing a deal? That could help to make the off-season more exciting!

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
why wouldnt they have an open QB competition in cleveland? unless they trade one of the two, what else would they do?

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
why wouldnt they have an open QB competition in cleveland? unless they trade one of the two, what else would they do?

Do they work out before mini camps? Anderson is due a big bonus in March and its hard to picture him with the team long enough to compete.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
what would they really get for him right now though? a 3rd round pick maybe? MAYBE a lower 2nd round pick from, heaven forbid, the vikings or someone?

i think they need to see what they have.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
what would they really get for him right now though? a 3rd round pick maybe? MAYBE a lower 2nd round pick from, heaven forbid, the vikings or someone?

i think they need to see what they have.
Do we really think he would even bring this? This was a nice story in 2007, but come on, did anyone really think DA was a long term star in this league? If they try to deal him, I think your talking 4th to 5th round pick type deal. This is a guy you benched, your not going to get gold out of him.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
They're on the hook anyway (tards) so they may as well let them compete.

Report: Anderson's bonus will count on cap
Derek Anderson - QB - CLE - Jan. 9 - 10:59 am et

Derek Anderson's $5 million March roster bonus will reportedly count against the Browns' salary cap whether or not they cut or trade him.
Phil Savage left the Browns in worst shape than we thought. The bonus is reportedly "fully guaranteed." Cleveland can still avoid formally paying the $5M by moving Anderson, but it will count against their $123M allotment either way. This helps Anderson's chances of staying in Cleveland.

Jan. 9 - 10:59 am et
Source: Profootballtalk.com