Lee Evans Signs With Jaguars

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Lee Evans signs with Jaguars

Not liking this signing for several reasons.
1. He's spent alot of time on injury reserve the past two seasons. (foot injury)
2. When i think of this signing, i think of J. Porter whom we signed and was nothing less than a disaster while here.
3. With this signing it looks like we will not get a true #1 wr in Floyd/Blackmon in the draft. Looks more like a DE or trading the pick away. Both scenarios i dislike alot. WR is main concern and we need some young talent here for the future. I understand the veteren pickup to help Gabbert but need a future WR here.

Some things i do like tho
1. I do like the Robinson pick up from Dallas. Good move for a slot WR position.
2. Evens is back with HC Mularky so might be able to get back into being the deep threat we need.

Overall i was looking forward to having Blackmon/Floyd As the #1 WR, Thomas on the other side, Robinson in the slot, Mercedes Lewis playing TE and MJD and Kalil running the ball. Looked to be pretty exciting. And if Gabbert still couldn't get it then we got a band aid in Henne til next season to draft a QB. Just have a feeling if we don't pull the trigger on a true #1 WR for our first pick, then next year will be like last year.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
My feelings exactly, just hoping i'm wrong. If he's another Porter, i'm gonna go ape ****. Gene Smith pulled this same **** when he got Porter. Almost hope its a losing season so we get rid of Smith, if rumors are true, but also hoping for a winning or at least more exciting season than last year. Kinda catch 22. Bottom line we need future WRs not has beens from around the league. That does no good for the team in the future.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
One thing i would like to read about is some info on Laurent Robinson. We got him from Dallas where if i'm thinking he played slot and from what i understand he had a breakout year last season. Just wondering how good, if at all, this guy is. From what i have heard, he's a great addition to our WR corp, but hell, we could have signed dead people and it would have been an upgrade from last season.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
IMO Robinson is the real deal but I feel like he needs a deep threat to open the field some for him. The young man has a ladder for legs in that he can go up and get the hard to catch balls. I like Robinson a lot, a whole lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

gizzil

this is what you get when you drop a ball that coulda sent you to a superbowl - too bad i always thought ol' Lee would flourish somewhere

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Hopefully he can rejuvenate his career here and actually make a difference. Not putting anything into it til the games begin. Just read Cleveland is looking hard at Blackmon and with there 2nd pick get Weedon as QB. How dare them take our player from us. LOL. As long as Floyd is there still at 7, i'll be content.

jjtweeks

I thought years ago Evans was gonna be the real deal. He must not be worth a $%# anymore because nobody wants to keep him. He must have some issues that I don't know about because he had the talent to be a decent deep threat type of player when he was with the Bills. Robinson will help you guys out a great deal I think Cerb.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Floyd will be there at 7 but y'all won't grab him there.

Probably right.As things are going and all the talk here on sports radio is either grabbing a DE or OT. Heard for the first time of grabbing Claiborne if he's there. The Claiborne pick would be a good pick but we need a #1 wr bottom line for now and the future. With all this round a bout talk, wondering how much of this is just blowing more smoke. What i'm afraid of is Gene Smith knows if he does another bad draft then he will be gone. So afraid he plays it safe and grabs the OT out of Iowa with our first pick.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I can't see you adding Lee, Robinson and then any WR with the first round pick. Claiborne would be a safe pick IMO.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Maybe you can add Rueben Randle out of LSU later Cerberus. He's going to stretch the field for you a lot more than he's getting credit for right now and he'll be cheaper than Floyd.

Last edited by a moderator:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I found this on the former Tiger.

Despite a 4.55 forty time at the Combine, ex-NFL scout Dave Razzano describes LSU WR Rueben Randle as a "vertical guy" who will stretch the field in the pros.
"Rueben Randle, he's more of a vertical guy even though he didn't run real good," said Razzano. "He plays fast. Boy, he's one guy that'll stretch a defense." Randle did redeem himself with forty times of 4.33 and 4.37 at LSU's Pro Day. We wouldn't be surprised if Randle was drafted much higher than anticipated. NFL teams covet vertical wideouts who create separation.
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch Apr 15 - 4:46 PM

Coachnorm

Evans hasnt really had much to play with until last year

Good point, Sarge. If he can stay healthy Evans could be a nice improvemnet to the Jags WR Corp. While Evans moving to some other teams might not have much impact, this is the Jags WR Corp we are talking about. Laurent Robinson saw an increase of work last year do to some multi-week injuries to some of the Cowboy top WRs. Robinson didn't just see an increase of playing time as happens with a lot of WRs due to injury but really stepped up his game at the same time, nice addition.

So maybe, Evans can stay healthy, Robinson can contribute nicely and that TE guy, what's his name, who disappeared comepletely can get back into the flow of the O. So, but we still are talking about nice improvements to a WR Corp that needed a huge influx of talent. So it is kinda taking a position where the Jags score an F and making it a potentail C-. But it could be just enough building to make a big WR grab next year represent a turning of the corner.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I'm hearing nothing on Floyd here so it s looking like its going to be Blackmon or Claiborne and if they are gone then going to trade down to get the extra pick. Disappointed but if we dont grab a WR i hope we grab Claiborne. Mathis is on his way out so it would be a reat addition. Last year on contract for Mathis.