Last year Eli said it, this year Flacco runs his pie hole.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Late For Work 4/4: How Do You Want Joe Flacco To Respond? « Baltimore Ravens Blogs

Before last season, Eli came out and said he was the best QB in the league. We all laughed saying he wasn't the best of the family.(how does that crow taste, mine was served cold) And yet all he did was prove us wrong and went out and won the SB and now has more rings than Peyton and not sure or not but think more than Archie. So guess he is the best Qb of the family. Fast forward to this year and Flacco comes out and proclaims he is the best QB in the league. So does this mean Baltimore wins it all this year or is he grasping for something. Do gotta say tho, that if they are going to do it, they better hurry as they aren't getting any younger. And to me, Flacco hasn't proved he can win the big games consistantly.

jjtweeks

Flacco has a great supporting cast yet comes out looking average so I think he is just blowing smoke but we'll see i suppose. He hasn't shown me anything to say he is anyway near great

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
you hit the nail straight on. great supporting cast. Imagine if that would have been peyton, give that guy a defence, seriously. flacco wouldn't even be a household name if it wasnt for that defence in baltimore

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Flacco's not much different than Trent Dilfer, who won a ring for this team. All he really has to do is manage the game, hand it to Rice, and not make dumb judgement calls (like saying you're better than Rodgers, Brady, Brees, etc). Problem is, this defense is aging and eventually he'll need to actually do things like 4th quarter comebacks and competing in shootouts, which he's not really suited for. If memory serves, last year there were whispers about him being mentally weak and the opposite of clutch, both from opponents and teammates. As someone who watches him play the Steelers 2/3 times a year, I somewhat agree.
He doesn't suck, but he's league average. The way the NFL's migrated to a pass-first league, that's not enough anymore.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Well said. Watching him thru the season play is watching a heart beat monitor. If good Flacco shows up, then he is actually pretty good. Unfortunitly he can't seem to keep that up all season long and thats what the elite qbs do. and never has. eventually he wont be able to rely on that defence and will have to manage the game and be able to win it in the 4th or be able to put the game out of reach for the other team.

gizzil

i think flacco is definitely better than dilfer... however he hasn't done much more than dilfer at this time. inconsistency here would indicate a mental or confidence issue. he has the arm and everything, but til he puts it together between the ears he may just be a dilfer. how sad is it as excited as we all were for flacco and ryan to rise to the elite level and what we really ended up getting was... well...

Remote Controller

Flacco is a good NFL QB. I don't know if he can ever achieve sustained greatness. I will say that the Ravens made a wise pick and he has not been a bust in any sense of the word. With the defense they had, emphasis on had, all they needed really was Trent. The way the Ray Rice thing is going right now, I don't feel this willbe an up year.

RLLD

In appearance on Baltimore radio station WNST, Flacco was asked if he thought he was a top-five quarterback in the league. The 27-year-old responded by saying, "I think I’m the best. I don’t think I’m in the top five, I think I’m the best. I wouldn’t be very successful at my job if I didn’t feel that way."

I am inclined to allow that he simply did not speak with care. I think he is simply saying that when he steps out on to the field his confidence is high and he feels that he is absolutely capable and competitive with anyone. It almost seems as though he has been listening to Suggs go at it with Bayless and was channeling some of the ways Sizzle combated bayless's idiocy

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
His greatest years were when that defence was just nasty scary. Now these guys got maybe a season or two left in them, so what happens when he doesn't have that defence to win games for him and he actually hs to win games for them? he's far from a flop and is a good qb but the best? no. Peyton will probably have better numbers this season and he's not 110%.

bobbeaux

So does this mean Baltimore wins it all this year or is he grasping for something. Do gotta say tho, that if they are going to do it, they better hurry as they aren't getting any younger. And to me, Flacco hasn't proved he can win the big games consistantly.

like the article points out, he's trying to get paid . . . what would you want him to say? . . . Oh, I'm top ten so just pay me what that's worth . . . lol . . . if torrey smith doesn't have a soph slump and rice gets his deal and continues to produce, i think he could take a step forward . . . do i think he's the best or in the best system to be the best? . . . no, but top 5 wouldn't be out of the question, imho . . . ;)

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
top 5 in the whole league? no way. top 10 maybe. top 15 definitly. i even think rivers is better than flacco.

deuce4321

Driller
he barely makes the top 15

rodgers
brady
brees

rivers
roth
manning 1
manning 2
vick
schaub

ryan
romo
stafford
Cam

arguments can be made for freeman, bradford, dalton and palmer as well.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
he barely makes the top 15

rodgers
brady
brees

rivers
roth
manning 1
manning 2
vick
schaub

ryan
romo
stafford
Cam

arguments can be made for freeman, bradford, dalton and palmer as well.
Nice list Deuce! :thumbsup:

My only questions are:
Someone here posted that Flacco has great tools. What are they? :dunno:
He has Rice, absolutely, but he runs more than catches, and oh....he may well hold out quite a while, which by history means drop in numbers. Oh, but he has stud Wrs......uh no. He has Boldin....and nothing else. Even Boldin isn't Boldin in this offense. No real TE either. So, no...he doesn't, not in my opinion.

He to me is a Romo clone. He has games he rocks in, and games he sucks in. At least he can perform in Playoffs unlike Romo, but to me its the same kind of subset. However, he doesn't have a Witten, Austin or Bryant to rely on, so I don't think he has as much success as Romo.

Just my :$0.02:

RLLD

I guess he looking at the team's record, and the playoff record as well, and making a mind projection of himself based on these factors.

While one can reasonably argue that his presence has helped the team to a strong performance and impressive records during that time, one can also argue that his lack of ability has limited their results as well.

It is entirely acceptable for him to feel that he has contributed to the success of the team, but he is not "THE" reason. His role has enabled the team to achieve a higher level of success and solidified a position of weakness. If he were to play at the level he is describing then they would have back-to-back super bowls right now.