Jets Vernon Gholston: Bust to Bust Out?

Coachnorm

Coach Rex Ryan proclaimed Thursday that Vernon Gholston will be a "major contributor" for the Jets in 2009.

There has been several reports that I have read that has the new coaching staff has been impressed with Gholstons' attitude and mental understanding of what it takes to turn it around. I would be slightly more impressed to hear he reported to camp lighter, faster, stronger, etc. But Ryan is the type of coach capable of molding some upside in Gholston.

Seems a little early in this kids career to be writing him off as a bust. Granted his rookie season left much to be desired but if the attitude and mental capacity is there I think any good coach, new regime or not, would look forward to developing the rest.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I think Ryan may be able to make a beast out of this kid. He was raw coming out to begin with, add in a position change and it was not a big surprise to see a very slow start. Give him another year and insert Rex Ryan as the coach and you have a nice match. I expect drastic improvement this year and he will continue to progress in this scheme.