I've Got A Rules Question

cctekguy

Staff member
I just saw the potential for this to happen in the Saints/Vikings game.

Brees hit Michael Thomas for a long gain. Defensive pass interference was also called on the play.

The Saints declined the penalty and took the play.

...but the catch was "questionable" and could have been challenged.

IF Minnesota had challenged the play and the ruling on the field was reversed, could the Saints then say
"Never mind, we accept the penalty."?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator

Brees hit Michael Thomas for a long gain. Defensive pass interference was also called on the play.

IF Minnesota had challenged the play and the ruling on the field was reversed, could the Saints then say
Not sure, but it is a very good question. Actually if I am HC and think the catch is in question, I would do just that to protect against the change.

efactor

Coming at you

Yes, which is why they didn't challenge it. I doubt that catch would have been upheld, but who knows. There was a challenge in the Seahawks games on a Moore catch that I didn't think there was any way that would be reversed and called a catch, but it was.