It's Official, Patriots Place Franchise Tag on Matt Cassel

Mike

Administrator
That is a big chunk of change going to the quarterback position against the cap next year. It will be interesting to see how this effects the Patriots in regards to free agency this season.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
my favorite part about the article.

Cassel is the fifth player in Patriots history to be designated a franchise player. The others were kicker Adam Vinatieri in 2002 and 2005, defensive back Tebucky Jones in 2003 and cornerback Asante Samuel in 2007.

one of these names is not like the other... one of these names just doesnt belong... ;)

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
also this is nothing but posturing by the patriots. franchising him means they control his rights. i will be shocked if it means he actually signs a 1 year 14 mil contract. thats not what they did here. they now control his trade rights and have the right to match any contract he signs with another team, and they can negotiate a long term deal as well.

notice in the article how the patriots waited, like most teams do, until the last minute to tag previous franchise players? this move is not because they tried to make a contract and couldnt. this is posturing to let the other 31 teams know exactly what they're doing and whose in charge of cassel.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
also this is nothing but posturing by the patriots. franchising him means they control his rights. i will be shocked if it means he actually signs a 1 year 14 mil contract. thats not what they did here. they now control his trade rights and have the right to match any contract he signs with another team, and they can negotiate a long term deal as well.

notice in the article how the patriots waited, like most teams do, until the last minute to tag previous franchise players? this move is not because they tried to make a contract and couldnt. this is posturing to let the other 31 teams know exactly what they're doing and whose in charge of cassel.
I totally agree here.

This was an insurance move. IF tom is not back, they are fine. If he is, then they trade Cassell later, and get at least a 1st rounder out of it. Assuming someone is willing to deal a first rounder for him.