Hit on Austin Collie: Your Thoughts?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
ESPN NFL Austin Collie alert after being taken off

Ok....

I understand the referees are going to throw a flag and try to justify it later anytime there is a hit anywhere near like this one was.

I agree with Bill Cowher, penalize if you must, but its a joke if the NFL fines Coleman for the hit that knocked out Austin Collie.

Coleman didnt launch himself. He didnt try to go helmet to helmet. The man is going to make a play on a WR who he thought caught the ball at that speed. His teammates hit changes the trajectory of Collie just before impact. Even then it wasnt a clean helmet to helmet hit.

What do you Outlaws think of this play?

eaglechick

I'm back :)
first i'm very sorry that collie was injured and i hope he's ok. i understand why the refs made the call with all the hype and stuff about injuries, and i'm not one of those that thinks we should just "let them play"

that said, i think the hit was clean. i also thought collie had turned and was no longer a "defenseless" receiver.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Watching the game I was insensed. Yes, you have to protect players, but it IS football, and there are going to be violent collisions.

This penalty, and the one at the end of the game on the "tap" of Peyton Mannings helmet were just wrong. I don't fault the officials, as they are doing what the rules mandate...but this was exactly why those rules should not have been hyper enforced. I am VERY glad the hear Collie seems okay, and isn't terribly hurt. But folks that is football, and it was clean.

dannywest

Florida Skunk Apes
Certainly looks clean, shoulder first on the tackle, the helmet to helmet seemed to be nothing more than a byproduct of the impact.

Still though, don't think anyone enjoys seeing someone get hurt, we'll just hope for a speedy recovery from Collie.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I have been very out spoken on the NFL being justified in cracking down on the missile type headshots.

That said, I don't get this one....I have only seen the highlight on ESPN.com, but I just see a guy getting hit across the middle of the football field. Coleman didn't launch, Coleman didn't have his head down (he saw what he hit from what I could see), that is what I look for.

I disagree with even a flag here. I fine or suspension would be over the line.

Now if you want a fine worthy hit or even one that could draw the first suspension look at Collins hit on Roy Williams last night in the Packers/Cowboys game. It was an unnecessary shot at a guys head.

dannywest

Florida Skunk Apes
I disagree with even a flag here.

While the flag wasn't warranted, I understand why it was thrown. The NFL had every official on the phone this week to discuss helmet to helmet hits, and there was contact, though, as stated previously, clearly unintentional contact.
If I was an official, and thought my job was on the line for slipping on a helmet to helmet call, I'd have thrown the flag too.

Remote Controller

This hit was clean. Now Samuels marching 10 feet from a knocked out Collies head and protesting the call was a bit ill concieved on his part and made him look bad, but the hit was clean.

eaglechick

I'm back :)
This hit was clean. Now Samuels marching 10 feet from a knocked out Collies head and protesting the call was a bit ill concieved on his part and made him look bad, but the hit was clean.

yes i agree with you RC, that was a bit in poor taste, especially because collie hadn't moved AT ALL yet. (not that you could see much movement the whole time because there were so many people all around him. AWFUL!!!)

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
I agree. Poor behavior on Samuel's part but the hit was clean.

What I see here is an example of the Pendulum-In-Motion theory finally starting to swing the other way in an attempt to eventually find balance and medium here. I fully expect the flags and fines to get out of control in the same manner the hits got out of control in the first place. Only then do I think we'll see a happy middle ground.

That's just the way Pendulums work..... and our culture is fashioned alarmingly similar to this scientific and magnetic patterns.

Remote Controller

I would have had no problem had the Collins from the Packers, been ejected from the game for his hit on Williams. That was like the meriweather hit on Heap. That hit needs addressed!

I say a $10,000.00 fine, plus immediate ejection, and a one game suspension including that game check. That will stop the cheap hits.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I dont think Goodell was thinking it was right not to fine Coleman. I think Coleman survived because of the backlash he would have gotten.

Speaking on the hit on Roy Williams, I think the fine was appropriate.

It proved his skull is as thick as we all thought it was....

Arctic Dawgs

The refs blew this one all the way around. The hit was fair and it was a fumble.

Ya, It was a very late flag. I think the refs threw the flag because he was laid out, not because of the hit. Have a feeling we will see some more of that.

All for a good cause