Head coach movement

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
So per reports - UC head Coach Luke Fickell is headed to Wisconsin to take that job
Also have seen that former NFL coach Matt Ruhle is taking the Nebraska job
Arizona State replaced Herm Edwards with Kenny Dillingham(Oregon OC)

hikeNbike

Interested to see how these hires turn out.
Matt Ruhle was such a huge flop in Carolina it's hard to wrap my head around him being the great hire that the sports radio shows seem to be unanimously saying. At least the ones I've heard in the last couple days. He did well at Baylor though so maybe it works out. No doubt Fickell has done well at Cincinnati, but stepping up to Big 10 where every game is a tough one will be an adjustment versus circling a couple tough opponents. Can we get Herm another NFL gig? Need to hear those press conferences.

I guess Jimbo is staying one more year at A &M? A bit of a surprise after that season, but it is a massive buyout and recruiting for A&M has been good, but he had better win next year.

Kind of wondering about Ryan Day. It's hard to call a 11-1 season bad, but after OSU had been thumping Michigan for a decade the fan base seems to expect a win every year and they have been thumped twice, and Stroud definitely lost any chance at the Heisman last weekend. Particularly a tough pill to swallow with Michigan's best RB banged up and shockingly watching Michigan's much criticized QB shredding the Buckeye defense. Guessing if the Buckeyes lose next year making it three years in a row Day will be in some trouble.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Day will be fine for now, but another big loss to Michigan and he will need to look for another job. Its 3 years or gone at Ohio State for history.

Ruhle will be interesting, he wasn't designed to be a pro coach, so if he can resurrect his success at Baylor he could do well.

I actually love the hire of Fickell in Wisconsin, another no non-sense HC in the Big 10 who has a ton of Big 10 history with Ohio State. I was just shocked he agreed to take Wisconsin after turning down Notre Dame last year. Guess he thought Big 10 is where it is at, and the fact in 2 years it will basically be the Big 10 vs SEC for playoff spots.

hikeNbike

I'm disappointed in the dissolving of conferences. Understand why UT moved to the SEC and the right move for them, but I wish it could be as it was with Nebraska, Colorado, A&M, in the Big 12. Glad we get the UT A&M games back. Will have a whole new set of rivalries in the SEC. But conference is going to be so big I don't think games will happen every year. Wondering if UT will play Oklahoma every year at the Texas Fair or will they not meet some years or will games revert to home and away?