Florida State receives 4-year probationary banhammer from NCAA; buh-bye scholarships

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

FSU has been put on a 4 year probation and has to give up scholarships and forfeit games in football after the NCAA investigated academic infractions involving large number of student-athletes involved in various sports. But football takes it in the shorts the hardest? Methinks there is more to this story than is being printed.

How much longer can Bowden hang on?

Bayton

The NCAA is a bit of a joke as far as when and who they investigate. FSU did all the work, found the problem fixed it, reported it to the NCAA then punished those involved. Then The NCAA comes back with 4 years probation, and games forfeited in which those players involved participated in. Anyone remember the last thing that was going on in the investigation with Reggie Bush and USC? what about OJ Mayo and USC, or Julio Jones and Alabama. Jones was given an escalade by the university... His parents didn't pay for it, he certainly cant afford it. Hes not allowed to receive gifts or benifits but still the car is in his possesion. Laverneous Coles and Peter Warrick took some clothes on discount(or free- dont really remember); Coles was kicked off the team and Warrick suspended. Clothes that didnt even total more than $200. (J. Jones) Escalade>clothes. Reggie Bush: House>clothes

As a current college student, I know there is cheating going all every where. Not everyone is doing it of course, but it is never going to go away as long as people are given free will. Just on the radio driving home today, i heard account after account of frats cheating for each other. A senior would take an online quiz/test while logged in as a student in the class, then post the answers for the rest of the frat. This happens, and while talking to frats myself, they tell the potential candidates that they have cabinets of all the previous test of professors, I have all the quizs and tests and such from a friend of mine who took it previously for one of the classes that im taking. They haven't changed. Should I get thrown out?

Also on the radio and old civil Engineer mentioned that there was a senior lvl class that they had to take, engineering ethics. 1 credit hour, mandatory attendence no test/assignments nothing. Show up you get an A. 10 ppl in that class were seniors CE's the other 40 were football players. Anyone remember Lineart took ball room dancing his senior year...

The NCAA needs to stop pretending that hey care about the athletes. The universities and NCAA use these kids. A portion of them don't meet the academic requirements to enter to school and are granted exemptions. They earn b/millions of dollars off of college sports, push these kids through bs classes just so they are eligible to play. Then spit them out at the first sign of trouble or graduate them in ball room dancing or underwater basket weaving. IF universities are gonna put their athletes through such farces of academic programs, they shouldnt keep up the shroud that they are student athletes and just change the scholarship to a contract and end this madness. Why does it require going to college to play football anyways, or basketball for that matter... Its not like their degree has anything to do with their choosen profession. Isnt the point of going to school to be come learned in a your feild of intrest because that is where you want your carreer to be? It's not like there is a football 1001 class or something. Or a senior lvl sprinting class. SPR 4201 - Steriod cycles.

There are some incredible things that college athletics provides us. Characters such as Tim Tebow, chances to make it to the olympics, Myron Rolle a Rhodes scholar and a good/great nfl prospect. The NCAA needs to stop acting like academics are important to them because they are not. They just want people to think that they are. Crap, that was like an essay. I guess without a weekly podcast to get things out they tend to accumulate a bit.
To wrap up NCAA - BAD
To take wins away from Bowden who is one of the nicest and best people you will ever meet and hurt the University after they did your job for you, you steaming pile of excrement. You decide of all the wrongs that have been done, this was the U you wanted make an example of. The example was reporting and investigating academic fraud was NOT what the NCAA wanted, so you will pay.

Here's a song i like and it somehow relates to this rediculous rant.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEbE3fGfF-o"]YouTube - Mercenaries 2 Song- "Oh No You Didn't" Full Song[/ame]

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Solid post. For every one story regarding academic cheating and paying players there are 100 stories of kids using athletics to advance their standard of living through an education they would otherwise not afford. I know how you feel regarding the NCAA and their concern over academics. Trust me I'm well versed. It is sad when I hear about kids cheating or coasting through school because they "know" they'll make it to the next level. Because I knew athletes who also were taking 23 credits per semester because they wanted to graduate early to get a year in on their masters before eligibility ran out. Or my real estate agent who suffered through playing 4 years of special teams with two blown knees because he wanted to finish school without debt.

Those cases aside the NCAA better be serious about academics because less than 1% of all athletes participating in NCAA sanctioned athletics won't make it to the big leagues. The rest of the 99% will have to find other lines of work. And for some of their career aspirations beyond athletics that piece of paper they earn from their chosen universities will be the difference maker of how or if they are able to pursue those aspirations. It would be reckless and a disservice to society and the athletes if the NCAA DIDN'T hammer colleges for pulling this kind of crap. And while I'm sad this happened the facts are they did indeed happen and FSU needs to face penalties.

University of Colorado pulled this kind of crap throughout the 80's and 90's before getting hammered like this and now those granola munching hippies run a clean program. Maybe this will be what is needed for the FSU Athletic Department to clean house.