Eagles fire McDermott

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Hard to replace a legend in johnson. McDermott had hard shoes to fill.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Well apparently they gave up a load of TDs and whatnot. I guess someone had to be the scapegoat

eaglechick

I'm back :)
well, let's see here...

total scoring defense 21st in the league
most points scored against since 1974

redzone efficiency of opposing teams vs. eagles = 78.8%!!!!!! (next closest was dallas with 66.7%) this is the worst ever on record, i believe (by any nfl team). if not, it's been a long time since anyone allowed such a high percentage of redzone TDs

there's also the matter of adjustment. mcdermott followed jim johnson's preference to keep the corners on their sides (i.e., samuel on the left, and hobbs/patterson/whoever on the right). this worked great when we had 2 good corners. this year, however, we had one good corner. this rigidness allowed teams to exploit our weakness (see below blog post from bleedinggreennation for a good explanation)

Sean McDermott, Asante Samuel never straying from the left side, and Nnamdi Asomugha in Philly? - Bleeding Green Nation

in any case, i agree that mcdermott didn't have a lot of talent this year, but it seems like andy is ready to leave rebuilding mode and go for the win RIGHT NOW!!! i love it!!! :banana:

i'd love to see mora jr. get the job :grin:

Last edited by a moderator: