College Football Games You Really Want To See

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Several interseting match ups this year. There are quite a lot i find interesting. One of the most interesting to me is the Red River Shootout between Oklahoma and Texas. Not a huge fan of either but after last years game this game is going to be a brawl. And watching Bradford play the game is amazing to me. He should go down in history as one of the best QBs in college history. Mccoy is a beast also but i am just more impressed with Bradford. This will be a fun game to watch and will once again go down to the wire. Throw away the defenses in this one, two future starting QBs will light up the scoreboard. And ultimatly , it will be that one defensive play that wins the game for one or the other.

Runnik's Hambones

Homer picks here but I can't wait to see USF v FSU (which, btw, I will be traveling up to Tallee for. I'm one of the 3 people for WBUL going to cover the game. I'll be doing color commentary I believe), and USF v Miami. Will be nice to see the Bulls finally play some of the big dogs of FL.

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
Not a fan of Texas and Oklahoma also, but I do make it point to watch the Red River Shootout every year. Always an explosive game, and a joy to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if this years game will be the best one played in this rivalry.

USC @ Notre Dame: Every since Notre Dame teamed up with NBC and started showing Irish games nearly every weekend of the CFB season, I've had a hatred for the Irish. I'm sorry (well, maybe), but I feel one team should not have a monopoly on CFB coverage through out the nation. This game I will watch...watching USC humiliate the Irish.

USC @ Cal: I have a feeling this game will produce the PAC-10 Champion.

Army @ Navy: Lot of Army and Navy Vets where I work. Many of us get together for this game (at the club on a Coast Guard Base of all places ) and have a great time watching this game...lots of drinking...ribbing each other....pure fun.

Washington St @ Washington (The Apple Cup): As a Washington Native (the West Coast Washington that is...), this game is like our Championship Game. Doesn't matter if both teams suck, this is a hard fought, downright grudge match and braging rights for the state. Here is some examples...

In the 1975 Apple Cup, WSU led 27-14 with 3 minutes left in the game. WSU attempted a fourth-and-one conversion at the UW 14-yard line rather than a field goal. The resulting pass was intercepted by UW's Al Burleson and returned 93 yards for a touchdown. After a WSU three-and-out, Warren Moon's tipped pass was caught by Spider Gaines for a 78 yard TD reception and a dramatic 28-27 Washington win. WSU Head Coach coach Jim Sweeney resigned a week later, leaving with a 26-59-1 record.

In the 2001 Apple Cup, competing for a BCS bowl-berth, WSU loses 26-14.

In the 2002 Apple Cup held in Pullman, #3 WSU was leading 20-10 with less than 4 minutes left in the game, however the Washington Huskies rallied to force overtime and eventually a controversial 29-26 win in 3 OTs. In the 2003 Apple Cup, WSU (ranked No. 8) entered the game with a 9-2 record and a shot at the Rose Bowl while the Huskies, at 5-6, were trying to avoid their first losing season since 1976.[1] WSU had a six-point lead until true freshman Corey Williams caught a diving pass in the end zone with 1:10 remaining in the game, which gave UW a 20-19 lead after a successful PAT. On the ensuing drive the Huskies' Marquis Cooper intercepted a pass by WSU quarterback Josh Swogger and returned it 38 yards for a touchdown, which after a successful PAT resulted in a final score of 27-19.

There are many more games I really want to see....theses ones come to mind right now....

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Homer picks here but I can't wait to see USF v FSU (which, btw, I will be traveling up to Tallee for. I'm one of the 3 people for WBUL going to cover the game. I'll be doing color commentary I believe), and USF v Miami. Will be nice to see the Bulls finally play some of the big dogs of FL.

Good game choices there. It is nice to see USF finally making a name for themselves in college ball. As of this season, maybe last year i consider i consider USF the 2nd best team in Fl. USF/MIAMI and USF/FSU will be some entertaining games for sure. USF will be contending in the Big East this year and with the in state games they should get more noriety as a football school.

Is there going to be a way that people out of the area will be able to listen to the commentary ? Maybe the radio station off the internet.

Runnik's Hambones

Good game choices there. It is nice to see USF finally making a name for themselves in college ball. As of this season, maybe last year i consider i consider USF the 2nd best team in Fl. USF/MIAMI and USF/FSU will be some entertaining games for sure. USF will be contending in the Big East this year and with the in state games they should get more noriety as a football school.

Is there going to be a way that people out of the area will be able to listen to the commentary ? Maybe the radio station off the internet.

I believe it will be streamed through the WBUL website, just like my shows are.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Not a fan of Texas and Oklahoma also, but I do make it point to watch the Red River Shootout every year. Always an explosive game, and a joy to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if this years game will be the best one played in this rivalry.

USC @ Notre Dame: Every since Notre Dame teamed up with NBC and started showing Irish games nearly every weekend of the CFB season, I've had a hatred for the Irish. I'm sorry (well, maybe), but I feel one team should not have a monopoly on CFB coverage through out the nation. This game I will watch...watching USC humiliate the Irish.

USC @ Cal: I have a feeling this game will produce the PAC-10 Champion.

Army @ Navy: Lot of Army and Navy Vets where I work. Many of us get together for this game (at the club on a Coast Guard Base of all places ) and have a great time watching this game...lots of drinking...ribbing each other....pure fun.

Washington St @ Washington (The Apple Cup): As a Washington Native (the West Coast Washington that is...), this game is like our Championship Game. Doesn't matter if both teams suck, this is a hard fought, downright grudge match and braging rights for the state. Here is some examples...

In the 1975 Apple Cup, WSU led 27-14 with 3 minutes left in the game. WSU attempted a fourth-and-one conversion at the UW 14-yard line rather than a field goal. The resulting pass was intercepted by UW's Al Burleson and returned 93 yards for a touchdown. After a WSU three-and-out, Warren Moon's tipped pass was caught by Spider Gaines for a 78 yard TD reception and a dramatic 28-27 Washington win. WSU Head Coach coach Jim Sweeney resigned a week later, leaving with a 26-59-1 record.

In the 2001 Apple Cup, competing for a BCS bowl-berth, WSU loses 26-14.

In the 2002 Apple Cup held in Pullman, #3 WSU was leading 20-10 with less than 4 minutes left in the game, however the Washington Huskies rallied to force overtime and eventually a controversial 29-26 win in 3 OTs. In the 2003 Apple Cup, WSU (ranked No. 8) entered the game with a 9-2 record and a shot at the Rose Bowl while the Huskies, at 5-6, were trying to avoid their first losing season since 1976.[1] WSU had a six-point lead until true freshman Corey Williams caught a diving pass in the end zone with 1:10 remaining in the game, which gave UW a 20-19 lead after a successful PAT. On the ensuing drive the Huskies' Marquis Cooper intercepted a pass by WSU quarterback Josh Swogger and returned it 38 yards for a touchdown, which after a successful PAT resulted in a final score of 27-19.

There are many more games I really want to see....theses ones come to mind right now....

I like that USC/Cal pick. Teams are just drooling to knock off USC. I also watch the Army/Navy game each year. Even though sometimes it is grueling to watch. I am ex Army. The black nites are definitly not known for the football program. LOL.

Reading your Wash/Wash st posts was interesting. Only a true fan can be that passionate about those teams, esp Washington. No offense meant.

And every week , i see ND will make an appearance on the tube so i can count the loses and help the fans watch the BCS title hopes fade each and every week.

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
Reading your Wash/Wash st posts was interesting. Only a true fan can be that passionate about those teams, esp Washington. No offense meant.

None taken. Last Years Apple Cup, I had high hopes for the Huskies to win that game.....only to witness another Ty Willingham coaching choke near the end.

And every week , i see ND will make an appearance on the tube so i can count the loses and help the fans watch the BCS title hopes fade each and every week.

:biglaugh:

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I never was a Willingham fan. I think he is more of an assistant rather than head coach. Has he ever had a winning record with any team for the time he has coached there, and i don't mean season but whole time coaching the school or team.

Thats one thing i have always enoyed. In state teams playing for bragging rights. In the state of Fl , i don't see why all the teams don't play each other every year. Miami, Fsu, Florida, USF and FIU should play each other. Being a Bulldog fan, the Ga/Ga Tech is always exciting. Personally i follow the SEC and Big East mostly. Then its the ACC as i just can't stand to watch Fsu but love to see them lose. And alot of teams are really making names for themselves and beating some good teams. The ACC, SEC and Big East are going to be exciting this year.

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
I never was a Willingham fan. I think he is more of an assistant rather than head coach. Has he ever had a winning record with any team for the time he has coached there, and i don't mean season but whole time coaching the school or team.

Stanford (1995-2001): 4 of 7 seasons were winning seasons. Won PAC-10 Title in 1999 (lost in Rose Bowl). 1-4 in Bowl Games. Overall 44-36-1

Notre Dame (2002-2004): 1 of 3 were winning seasons. 0-1 in Bowl Games. Overall 21-15

Washington (2005-2008): No winning seasons, no Bowl Games and overall 11-37.

Overall record with 3 teams: 76-88-1

Runnik's Hambones

Stanford (1995-2001): 4 of 7 seasons were winning seasons. Won PAC-10 Title in 1999 (lost in Rose Bowl). 1-4 in Bowl Games. Overall 44-36-1

Notre Dame (2002-2004): 1 of 3 were winning seasons. 0-1 in Bowl Games. Overall 21-15

The problem with this is that his record is based souly off of his time at Washington. I'm not trying to discredit your point but I feel, for example, that he was fired from ND far too soon. Perhaps I just believe in him more than you guys, but he had a record of 65-50-1, and he was 1-4 in Bowl Games. While that's not the best resume, I don't think he's all that bad. He's had a crappy last 3 years in Washington though.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust

Thanks. so without Washington, he is 14 games over .500. And 1-5 in bowl games. Not really impressive. So tell me again why they brought him to Washington ? Esp since he is 26 games under .500. He has to go undefeated 2 yrs in a row just to make it to .500. Is washington even entertaining a new coach after next year if TW doesn't turn the team into at least a competitor this season ?

You can tell i have no clue about Washington. lol

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
The problem with this is that his record is based souly off of his time at Washington. I'm not trying to discredit your point but I feel, for example, that he was fired from ND far too soon. Perhaps I just believe in him more than you guys, but he had a record of 65-50-1, and he was 1-4 in Bowl Games. While that's not the best resume, I don't think he's all that bad. He's had a crappy last 3 years in Washington though.

Maybe for me (and many Huskies fans) it's all the pent up frustration of the past few years...

I agree that he was let go from ND too soon. My judgment says that a coach should have at least 3-4 years to get his program and recruits in place. From what I understand, the ND Alumni and Ty didn't really get along well at all. Most likely why he was sent packing after his third season.

As for Washington, the program was pretty much already in the gutter when Ty appeared. When Don James (aka "The Dawgfighter" and "The Dean of PAC-10 Coaches") left under some disagreements with the AD, the Huskies did have some good years. Then Rich Neuheisel gambling fiasco and Rich Gilbertson poor coaching set the motion of the downward spiral.

Many say that Ty was hired at UW because of his ability of recruiting the West Coast. He did quite well of doing that at Stanford.

The straw the broke the camels back was last year. The Huskies were blown out in some games, while in the close games, they choked....the Husky Faithful had had enough.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Ty was indeed let go after last season. The new coach is Steve Sarkisian, the former OC of Southern Cal

Your previous post was well written but i quoted this one instead. I did not know this, more proof that i don't follow any west coast team. There are some good games played out there but i have no clue year to year what there records are. And sad to say the only west coast teams i half ass pay attention to is anybody playing USC that week. Not a fan but they are some exciting games and with oregon/oregon st/ucla improving, USC has a tougher schedule now.

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
USC right now is the cream at the top in the PAC-10. But this years will be tough. For the past few years, the remaining teams pretty much were equal to each other and pretty much beat each other up. Hence, many game were close and went ether way and their records suffered. Now there are teams that can contend USC for the top....Cal, Oregon St and Whoregon (sorry...Oregon). Right now, if I remember correctly, in one preseason computer poll , the PAC-10 is ranked #2 in Conferance Schedule Strengh behind the SEC.

Last edited: