Close Call #17: Ryan Grant vs Kevin Smith

Close Call #17: Ryan Grant vs Kevin Smith

• Total voters

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
If you need a refresher on the rules for the series or a run down of previous match-ups? Here is the rules and history thread:
"Close Calls 2009" - A Sports Outlaw Exclusive
Remember, this is based on re-draft leagues and non ppr scoring.

Today's Match-up:

Ryan Grant vs Kevin Smith

Last Year's Stats:
Ryan Grant - 16 gms - 1,203 ru yds - 4 ru TD's - 18 rec - 116 rec yds - 1 rec TD
Kevin Smith - 16 gms - 976 ru yds - 8 ru TD's - 39 rec - 286 rec yds - 0 red TD

Today's Match-up pits two RB's that you will be looking at in the 3rd or 4th round. Grant came out of nowhere in 2007 but failed to live up to the high expectations set for him last year. He still had a decent year but his lack of TD's left fantasy owners disappointed. Can the GB rushing game kick it up a notch with Grant? Will Grant's 3.9 ypc leave the Packers looking to bring in new blood into the running game? With Smith, you have a second year back who came on strong down the stretch. Despite being on an aweful team, Smith still went over 1200 combined yards last year. Can the Lions offense give him enough scoring opportunities to take his game to the next level? Can Smith avoid the sophmore slump? These are just some of the questions you will need to answer in today's close call.

bodey24

Staff member
I'm going with Ryan Grant. I look for him to find the endzone a few more times this season. And Kevin Smith plays for the Lions :).

Mike

Administrator
I'll take Kevin Smith. Nice rookie campaign, I like where the team is heading, and the kid will only get better.

joefan71

Pitbulls on Crack
Smith gets my vote. His stats were impressive for a rookie RB behind the worst line in the NFL. Fewer turnovers than Grant too. I think Pettigrew will give him a boost too.

Kevin Smith. I know this isn't ppr scoring, but he showed that he can catch the ball well out of the backfield and punch the ball into the endzone thus alleviating the need to take him out of the game.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Ryan Grant has never impressed me. The "next great back" when he came out of nowhere, he ran alot but didnt score or impress when it was his job. This year, he has an even firmer stranglehold on the job.

I like Kevin Smith. He worked his tail off during an 0-16 year when it was just him and Megatron. I think the Lions are headed in the right direction. If he is there, Im taking Smith.

efactor

Coming at you
Ryan Grant has never impressed me. The "next great back" when he came out of nowhere, he ran alot but didnt score or impress when it was his job. This year, he has an even firmer stranglehold on the job.

I like Kevin Smith. He worked his tail off during an 0-16 year when it was just him and Megatron. I think the Lions are headed in the right direction. If he is there, Im taking Smith.

Pretty much my feelings about these two. Smith put up solid numbers despite being benched for Rudi for a few games. Will be a very solid #2 RB this year.

Grant just doesn't impress me. I think Jackson has more talent and could make it a RBBC with a good training camp...........

ExperiencedRookie

I actually like Kevin Smith alot, and not just for this Close Call.

Awesome value in the late 3rd/early 4th if you're the type of person who is loading up on WRs early.

Probably one of my favorite RB values this year.

This is nothing against Grant either, who is another player who I think has solid value.

Coachnorm

I actually like Kevin Smith alot, and not just for this Close Call.

Awesome value in the late 3rd/early 4th if you're the type of person who is loading up on WRs early.

Probably one of my favorite RB values this year.

This is nothing against Grant either, who is another player who I think has solid value.

I agree with ER, I like Smith but still consider Grant a good value around that part of the draft and he would be my next target in that area of the draft.

Coachnorm

Since we all consider Kevin Smith an absolute slam dunk in his second year I thought a comparison of their rookie years might be in order. Almost mirror-like, But I guess Kevin Smith can't possibly have the same thing happen, he's a slam dunk. :grin:

Ryan Grant - 15 gms - 956 yds - 8 ru TD's - 30 rec - 145 rec yds - 0 rec TD
Kevin Smith -16 gms - 976 yds - 8 ru TD's - 39 rec - 286 rec yds - 0 rec TD

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Kevin Smith. With Det. having a rookie/new QB, i feel the Lions will be more opt to run the ball more and have a more run oriented offense, at least til Stafford becomes more comfortable in the NFL.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Grant's rookie year was actually with the Giants in 2006 where he did not have a carry ;)

Since we all consider Kevin Smith an absolute slam dunk in his second year I thought a comparison of their rookie years might be in order. Almost mirror-like, But I guess Kevin Smith can't possibly have the same thing happen, he's a slam dunk. :grin:

Ryan Grant - 15 gms - 956 yds - 8 ru TD's - 30 rec - 145 rec yds - 0 rec TD
Kevin Smith -16 gms - 976 yds - 8 ru TD's - 39 rec - 286 rec yds - 0 rec TD

Bull

Kevin Smith. He has room to improve. Grant is as good as he's going to get. He's already overachieved. Grant at Notre Dame was horrible. He worked on some things to improve, good for him. Now he will be an average back until GB drafts a stud. Grant may do better than last year, but he'll never do better than '07. Smith could keep improving and has better physical talent.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
This was my toughest CC yet. I've talked up both of these cats in various posts and the RBBC article, and they're both candidates to outperform their average draft position (ADP) since they aren't in timeshares. I'll look to the defenses for my tiebreaker and pick Grant to have a bounceback season. Not a knock on Smith whatsoever, because I'm confident he'll far surpass 1,000 yards rushing.
Green Bay really improved their defense in the offseason through the draft, plus they get Atari Bigby back from injury. He's a really active DB and his absence hurt them a bit last year. They won't be playing alot of catch-up late in games like 2008, so more ball-control clockeating = a smile on Grant's face. Detroit's "D" is also improving, but they'll be throwing the ball all over the place in the 4th quarter while trying to erase big deficits. Not good for Smith's workload. Slightest of edges to Ryan Grant here.

P.S.-Can we just say right now the NFC North is like a RB theme park?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I am back and forth on these two as well. Right now I am buying the Smith hype a little bit....and will give him the edge here, but this could easily change from day to day.

Remote Controller

This result is shocking and I can't say that I have seen it play out in any mocks I have been in, and if it did I was tickled that Grant and Thomas slid.