BCS Trophy Shattered

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- A piece of history from the University of Alabama's championship run was shattered on Saturday afternoon following the Crimson Tide's annual A-Day scrimmage.

The Coaches' Trophy from this season's BCS national title was accidentally knocked off its podium and shattered by a player's father whose foot got caught on a rug that sits beneath the trophy display. The Waterford crystal trophy was on display in the Mal Moore Athletic Facility halls, home to coach Nick Saban's office and other athletic personnel.

The handmade trophy sculpted in Ireland is valued at $30,000. The university previously had two such trophies, one at the Paul W. Bryant Museum and the other at the athletic facility. A university spokesman confirmed that they will immediately begin the process of replacing the trophy.

The crystal football has been a fragile piece in recent years. In 2008, Florida had its broken when then-recruit Orson Charles fumbled the ball away. In 2004, Florida State had a pair of trophies stolen from a glass case outside of coach Bobby Bowden's office during renovation of the building.

Charley Green, trophy manager for the American Football Coaches Association, said he uses adhesive tape to secure the ball when it's toured around the country and advises universities to take the same precautions when displaying it.

"It's pretty fragile, I guess," Green said. "It only weighs about eight pounds so I can see where if it gets bumped it would roll off

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I wouldn't want to be the player of that father. Everybody looking at you like its your fault. You gotta feel bad for the father tho. But seriously, what was he doing there in the first place?

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Can't believe that 8lb ball cost 30,ooo$. And now they are gonna get another one to replace it. Thank god for alumni funding.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I heard they were going to pass a 1 cent tax on diesel for truckers from Florida passing thru T-Town to fund the replic Cerberus.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I heard they were going to pass a 1 cent tax on diesel for truckers from Florida passing thru T-Town to fund the replic Cerberus.

Would be nice to finally get some appreciation. LOL

That is going to bite into the alumni's recruiting budget eh?

Ouch, didn't think of it that way. wouldn't be suprised to hear some rich alumni donates the entire amount to get another one.