2020 NFL QB situations - pre- draft look - through post draft

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Time to review what teams need and maybe don't need a QB in this draft. Keys obviously will be - NE and Tom Brady who will be FA as well as Drew Brees and NO who also will be FA this year.

AFC Conference:

AFC East:
New England
- Tom Brady - this is just me, or my opinion, but I think Tom wants a long term deal - 2 years with option kind of thing. I think if NE insists on a 1 year deal he will walk and go elsewhere. Or offer a big $$$$ one year. But money has not been the issue with Tom, I think its commitment. One reason I think he pushed for Patriots to get rid of Garoppolo.
Buffalo - Josh Allen - he has gotten better and they won't take anyone else
New York Jets - Sam Darnold - still needs improvement but he isn't the issue in Jets land, lack of tools and O-line is.
Miami - Ryan Fitzpatrick - NEEEEEEEEDDDDDD Qb here. Time to Jettison Rosen and pick franchise Qb.

AFC North:
Baltimore
- Lamar Jackson - Got what they need, and solid depth behind
Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger - Well what did we learn - they don't have Qb of future on roster. Big Ben has said he will return, but is he worth it? Time to look to future if that Qb falls to you. But they have alot of cap money on Big Ben.
Cleveland - Baker Mayfield - they have committed to him.
Cincinnati - TBD?? - they have first pick in draft, but have one more year on Andy Dalton. I don't see them going with Dalton, nor would I play if I were Dalton. I am fully expecting the first pick of the draft to be Qb.

AFC South:
Houston
- Deshaun Watson - good to go here
Tennessee - Ryan Tannehill - need to extend him ,but is going to be good bridge for future - look for Mariota to be FA
Indianapolis - Jacoby Brissett - GM not sold on him but he will start next year. May draft for future if it falls to them.
Jacksonville - Gardner Mishnew/ Nick Foles - No idea here, they have way too much money tied to Foles to cut him. So my gut says they stand pat with who they have.

AFC West:
Kansas City
- Patrick Mahomes - done deal here
Denver - Drew Lock - per Elway this is their direction
Oakland - Derek Carr - not sure here yet. Per Chucky he wasn't the issue, but they can drop him with little extended cap hit. Lets see.
Los Angeles Chargers - Philip Rivers - Not sure he too is an FA I believe. - need future replacement.

Next will cover NFC

Phicinfan

Administrator
NFC Conference:

NFC East:
Philadelphia
- Carson Wentz - no issues here
Dallas - Dak Prescott - he is an FA now, but they will FT him or sign him IMO. But lets see.
Washington - Dwayne Haskins - was learning as he went. Might keep Keenum as well just in case, or McCoy. Alex Smith still there as well.
New York Giants - Daniel Jones - rookie was okay

NFC North:
Green Bay
- Aaron Rodgers - nuff said
Minnesota - Kirk Cousins - Too much money to cut and all guaranteed
Detroit - Matthew Stafford - gets hurt but he can play well
Chicago - Mitch Trubisky - Team has said he will start next year.

NFC South:
New Orleans
- Drew Brees - He is an FA, but I am betting they tag or keep him.
Carolina - Cam Newton - Last year of his deal - $18 million cap hit if kept - this could be fun to watch
Atlanta - Matt Ryan - he is good to go
Tampa Bay - Jameis Winston - FA now, or will be on FA date - not sure what team will do

NFC West:
San Francisco
- Jimmy Garoppolo - Good to go
Seattle - Russell Wilson - good to go
Los Angeles Rams - Jared Goff - just got new deal so he is there
Arizona - Kyler Murray - Rookie has some promise

Next will be FA Qbs

Phicinfan

Administrator
Qbs that will be Free Agents:

These are KNOWN FA Qbs, not who MAY be an FA
Tom Brady - New England
Drew Brees - New Orleans
Phillip Rivers - Los Angeles Chargers
Dak Prescott - Dallas
Jameis Winston - Tampa Bay
Teddy Bridgewater - New Orleans
Marcus Mariota - Tennessee
Ryan Tannehill - Tennessee
Case Keenum - Washington
Eli Manning - New York Giants
Taysom Hill - Restricted FA - New Orleans

Potential FA:
Ryan Fitzpatrick - Miami
Josh Rosen - Miami
Cam Newton - Carolina - last year of deal

Last edited:

cctekguy

Staff member
Miami must be one screwed up organization.

Tannehill leaves and becomes "good" all of a sudden. Drake leaves and becomes good. Damien Williams leaves and becomes good. Minkah Fitzpatrick leaves and goes from good to GREAT. Parker becomes good under new head coach....Who am I missing?

Point is...I wouldn't give up on Rosen just yet. Just get him the hell out of Miami.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Time to update....

AFC Conference:

AFC East:
New England
- Tom Brady - Okay this is getting REALLY interesting. By all reports Brady will be an FA, the team will not resign him prior. That being said, what value does Tom really have? He would make a great veteran bridge Qb. Next question is, where does NE go if Brady does move on?
Buffalo - Josh Allen - Set
New York Jets - Sam Darnold - Set
Miami - Ryan Fitzpatrick - Desperate need of Qb of future here - Tua? Keeping Rosen or Fitzpatrick to bridge? Brady???

AFC North:
Baltimore
- Lamar Jackson - Set
Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger - My gut says this is Ben. But even though GM says they are fine at Qb, they have to look to the future don't they?
Cleveland - Baker Mayfield - Set
Cincinnati - TBD?? - Here is the thing. Cincinnati will take a Qb in the first round, I have no doubt there. IF they keep #1 it will be Burrows. However, I am hearing some rumblings of Miami offering multiple picks, and other teams as well. I wonder if they would rather have Tua, or Hebert...and trade down to get more picks? TBD here! Key here is Andy Dalton. He has one year left on deal, so they might get solid draft capital for him(3rd rounder??).

AFC South:
Houston
- Deshaun Watson - Set
Tennessee - Ryan Tannehill - Team has to decide money for Tannehill or money for Henry? I don't think they can afford both, unless Tannehill is willing to take less. Quite honestly, I think they can do better than Tannehill.
Indianapolis - Jacoby Brissett - This one is fluid as well, as GM not sold and stated this is why they did short deal.
Jacksonville - Gardner Mishnew/ Nick Foles - No idea here, they have way too much money tied to Foles to cut him. So my gut says they stand pat with who they have.

AFC West:
Kansas City
- Patrick Mahomes - Set
Denver - Drew Lock - Set??
Oakland - Derek Carr - No idea here, for every report I hear they want to cut ties and can with no dead money, I hear Chucky and GM saying he improved.
Los Angeles Chargers - Philip Rivers - Another fun one - he will be FA and he has moved his family out of CA. I think team may just move on from Rivers.

Phicinfan

Administrator
NFC Conference:

NFC East:
Philadelphia
- Carson Wentz - Set
Dallas - Dak Prescott - He will get tagged or signed
Washington - Dwayne Haskins - was learning as he went. I wonder if A. Smith will be ready?
New York Giants - Daniel Jones - Set

NFC North:
Green Bay
- Aaron Rodgers - Set
Minnesota - Kirk Cousins - Set - last year of deal
Detroit - Matthew Stafford - Set - but may want to watch this....
Chicago - Mitch Trubisky - Set

NFC South:
New Orleans
- Drew Brees - He is an FA, they have to pick now - Bridgewater, Brees, Taysom Hill? Some combo of two of them?
Carolina - Cam Newton - Last year of his deal - $18 million cap hit if kept - this could be fun to watch
Atlanta - Matt Ryan - Set
Tampa Bay - Jameis Winston - FA - Who knows?

NFC West:
San Francisco
- Jimmy Garoppolo - Set
Seattle - Russell Wilson - Set
Los Angeles Rams - Jared Goff - Set
Arizona - Kyler Murray - Set

Phicinfan

Administrator
Latest on FA's

Tom Brady - New England - by all reports no deal prior to March 15th - so will be FA
Drew Brees - New Orleans - no news at all, I don't think they can afford him
Phillip Rivers - Los Angeles Chargers - moved family to Florida - has he had enough?
Dak Prescott - Dallas - Think he gets tagged or deal done
Jameis Winston - Tampa Bay - No idea, none whatsoever.
Teddy Bridgewater - New Orleans - I think it has to be one or the other, no way N.O. keeps both
Marcus Mariota - Tennessee - will be FA - curious where he goes
Ryan Tannehill - Tennessee - Tenn has to sign Henry or him, don't think they can do both, I would let him walk
Case Keenum - Washington - FA - He could be a solid back up Qb for some team
Eli Manning - New York Giants - think he retires, as no one will sign him to start
Taysom Hill - Restricted FA - New Orleans - Stays in N.O. I believe.

Potential FA:
Ryan Fitzpatrick - Miami
Josh Rosen - Miami
Cam Newton - Carolina - last year of deal - Gut tells me if he is healthy he is gone and they change direction

Phicinfan

Administrator
NFC Conference:

NFC East:
Philadelphia
- Carson Wentz - Set
Dallas - Dak Prescott - He will get tagged or signed
Washington
- Dwayne Haskins - HC is not locked into Haskins, they are waiting to see if A. Smith can play to give vet presence.
New York Giants
- Daniel Jones - Set

NFC North:
Green Bay
- Aaron Rodgers - Set
Minnesota - Kirk Cousins - Set - last year of deal
Detroit - Matthew Stafford - Set - I have seen rumors of Detroit taking a Qb at #3 or trading down to Miami to get more picks and Miami can take Tua
Chicago
- Mitch Trubisky - Set --- look for a vet add to put pressure on Trubisky - hearing Mariota or maybe even Cam Newton

NFC South:
New Orleans
- Drew Brees - He is an FA, per him retire or play for Saints. Saints by all reports also want to keep Taysom Hill, so Bridgewater may be FA
Carolina
- Cam Newton - Last year of his deal - $18 million cap hit if kept - Per team he will have to work out in March to see where they are - I think they walk away and draft or acquire QB
Atlanta
- Matt Ryan - Set
Tampa Bay - Jameis Winston - FA - ???????????

NFC West:
San Francisco
- Jimmy Garoppolo - Set

Phicinfan

Administrator
AFC Conference:

AFC East:
New England
- Tom Brady - Latest - team supposedly offering $30 million or more to keep, by reports Tom wants to play the FA field.
Buffalo
- Josh Allen - Set
Miami - Ryan Fitzpatrick - Staying with MIami, but by all reports Miami will go QB in first round

AFC North:
Baltimore
- Lamar Jackson - Set
Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger - Owner stated they are fine at Qb
Cleveland
- Baker Mayfield - Set
Cincinnati - TBD?? - Per reports they will go QB, most think Burrow, but rumors of Miami trading up are there - Dalton will go where??

AFC South:
Houston
- Deshaun Watson - Set
Tennessee - Ryan Tannehill - Tannehill is FA, and I am hearing all kinds of names for Tenn. Tannehill, Brady, Rivers and so on....
Indianapolis
- Jacoby Brissett - I have seen both - draft QB in first round or acquire vet QB like Rivers or Bridgewater or Dalton
Jacksonville
- Gardner Mishnew/ Nick Foles - No idea here, they have way too much money tied to Foles to cut him. So my gut says they stand pat with who they have.

AFC West:
Kansas City
- Patrick Mahomes - Set
Denver - Drew Lock - Per GM he is the man
Oakland
- Derek Carr - Who knows..., I hear they want Brady here, Chucky and GM say they like Carr, and he just got $2.9 million roster bonus, but $16 million rest of salary is non-guaranteed.
Los Angeles Chargers
- Philip Rivers - By many, he is gone. So look for draft or maybe they go for Dalton or Brady or Bridgewater

Phicinfan

Administrator
Latest on FA's

Tom Brady - New England - by all reports he wants to play out the FA market
Drew Brees - New Orleans - says he will retire or go back to Saints
Phillip Rivers - Los Angeles Chargers - moved family to Florida - all reports say he is gone - Colts?, Titans?, Tampa?
Dak Prescott - Dallas - Looking at FT and maybe a hold out
Jameis Winston - Tampa Bay - No clue what plan is
Teddy Bridgewater - New Orleans - by all reports N.O. wants to keep all three Qbs, but priority is Brees and Taysom Hill.
Marcus Mariota - Tennessee - will be FA - look for teams like Chicago or may be Indy to get him for pressure on current Qb
Ryan Tannehill - Tennessee - Tenn has alot to get signed, not sure what plan is here
Case Keenum - Washington - FA - moving on - Vet back up?
Eli Manning - New York Giants - Retired
Taysom Hill - Restricted FA - New Orleans - Restricted FA that will get 1st round tender per reports - he will stay in N.O.

Potential FA:

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Staying in Miami as vet support
Josh Rosen - Miami - they supposedly want to keep him for depth
Cam Newton - Carolina - last year of deal - Per team he has to work out in March so they know what to do, I think he is gone, and they move on
Dalton - Cincinnati - all reports have team drafting Qb and maybe trading Dalton for more picks - Chicago, Indy, Tennesee, Chargers, Vegas?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Time to review, and look at what has changed....

AFC Conference:

AFC East:
New England
- Jarett Stidham - Latest - No Brady, and Jarrett is the man per reports.....
Buffalo - Josh Allen - Set
Miami - Ryan Fitzpatrick - Drafted Tua, lets see how long it takes him to take over

AFC North:
Baltimore
- Lamar Jackson - Set
Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger - Set
Cleveland - Baker Mayfield - Set
Cincinnati - Joe Burrow - He is the man, Dalton was just released.

AFC South:
Houston
- Deshaun Watson - Set
Tennessee - Ryan Tannehill - Tannehill signed to long term deal
Indianapolis -Phillip Rivers - Rivers signed to a one year deal, they still have Brissett as well
Jacksonville - Gardner Mishnew - By all reports, team wants Gardner to take over.

AFC West:
Kansas City
- Patrick Mahomes - Set
Denver - Drew Lock - Drew is in charge
Oakland - Derek Carr - Carr is still in charge - but they did also sign Mariota to be back up......
Los Angeles Chargers - Tyrod Taylor - They drafted Hebert for a reason, now how long before Justin takes over?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Now lets review the NFC

NFC Conference:

NFC East:
Philadelphia
- Carson Wentz - Set - and got Hurts in draft for depth
Dallas - Dak Prescott - FTed - but will he play on tag?
Washington - Dwayne Haskins - Haskins is the man, but Alex Smith is still on the roster, and traded for Allen to back up.
New York Giants - Daniel Jones - Set

NFC North:
Green Bay
- Aaron Rodgers - Set - or is he.....? Took some Love without telling Mr. Rodgers, wonder how long he stays in the neighborhood?
Minnesota - Kirk Cousins - Set - and got an extension
Detroit - Matthew Stafford - Set
Chicago - Mitch Trubisky - Trade for and got Nick Foles, so life might not be long for Mitch.

NFC South:
New Orleans
- Drew Brees - signed a 2 year deal, but looks to be only a one year fix. re-signed Taysom Hill, and signed Jameis Winston to a one year deal as well.
Carolina - Teddy Bridgewater - Cam and Allen are gone, so Teddy be the man here.
Atlanta - Matt Ryan - Set
Tampa Bay - Tom Brady - Winston is gone, Tom in for 2 years, but what about the future?

NFC West:
San Francisco
- Jimmy Garoppolo - Set

Phicinfan

Administrator
Latest on FA's

Tom Brady - Tampa Bay
Drew Brees - New Orleans
Phillip Rivers - Indianapolis Colts
Dak Prescott - Dallas - Franchise Tag - will he play?
Jameis Winston - New Orleans - one year deal
Teddy Bridgewater - Carolina
Marcus Mariota - Las Vegas - #2 behind Carr
Case Keenum - Cleveland - vet back up for Mayfield
Eli Manning - Retired
Taysom Hill - New Orleans - 2 year extension deal

Potential FA:
Josh Rosen - Miami - Will they keep him?
Cam Newton - Free Agent - released by Carolina
Dalton - Free Agent - released by Cincinnati.

So, there can be ONLY three. :D

Cam - I don't see anyone signing him til they can get an extended medical check. Even then, he will want to start, so I don't see any team other than maybe Jacksonville or New England who don't have solidified starters.

Dalton - I see alot of possibility here. He is a team guy, so being the vet back up with chance to start would be enough for him. Denver, where Lock is not established, Jacksonville - same for Minshew, New Engand - where Stidham is in place(but they do have Hoyer). For straight back up roles I could see - Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Minnesota, Atlanta, even Carolina to mentor the young Bridgewater. Jets as well could be an option.

Rosen? - no idea if anyone would want him.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Latest on FA's

Tom Brady - Tampa Bay
Drew Brees - New Orleans
Phillip Rivers - Indianapolis Colts
Dak Prescott - Dallas - Franchise Tag - will he play?
Jameis Winston - New Orleans - one year deal
Teddy Bridgewater - Carolina
Marcus Mariota - Las Vegas - #2 behind Carr
Case Keenum - Cleveland - vet back up for Mayfield
Eli Manning - Retired
Taysom Hill - New Orleans - 2 year extension deal

Potential FA:
Josh Rosen - Miami - Will they keep him?
Cam Newton - Free Agent - released by Carolina
Dalton - Free Agent - released by Cincinnati

So, there can be ONLY three. :D

Cam - I don't see anyone signing him til they can get an extended medical check. Even then, he will want to start, so I don't see any team other than maybe Jacksonville or New England who don't have solidified starters.

Dalton - I see alot of possibility here. He is a team guy, so being the vet back up with chance to start would be enough for him. Denver, where Lock is not established, Jacksonville - same for Minshew, New Engand - where Stidham is in place(but they do have Hoyer). For straight back up roles I could see - Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Minnesota, Atlanta, even Carolina to mentor the young Bridgewater. Jets as well could be an option.

Rosen? - no idea if anyone would want him.
Okay here is what we NOW know....

Dak has still not signed his tender, but is still negotiating long term deal. IF and this is a HUGE IF, they take the tag away, he is screwed, as NO ONE can afford to sign him to a similar deal. So Dak doesn't have all the leverage as some think. That being said, I can't think Dallas feels Andy Dalton could take them to the playoffs.

Dalton - this to me is his try to get a trophy and play at home. Late cut, no real starting spot, he lives in Dallas, why not? Go to a strong Dallas team, be the vet back up that protects if Dak gets hurt and let if fly behind what could be his best O-line to work with, and great tools.

Cam- I have to believe his options are pretty limited, I don't see Cam swallowing being a back up. He is going to wait for someone to stink it up in camp or get hurt, and them put on the cape and try to be superman again.

Phicinfan

Administrator
OH Green Bay.

A whole lot is being made that the team went up in round 1 and got Jordan Love. Key issues:
1) just signed Aaron Rodgers to a big deal last year
2) Rodgers really needed some better tools to work with and basically got squat this year
3) Team made it clear they LOVED Love, and drafted him for the future.

so, when is the future? Rodgers has 3 more years on his deal. Cap hit for Packers next year is $36.352 million. However, if the Packers deal Rodgers away(trade) then the cap hit/hurt would be $31.556 million. So literally the Packers could get $4+ million in cap space by trading Rodgers away.

So it will be fun to see if the stories of the HC and maybe the GM getting tired of Rodgers act.