2011 AFC CG: BAL @ NEP

JScott

Administrator
Ed Reed of all people starting off the war of words.... uuuhhhhh, with his own Offense :wtf:

FS Ed Reed has called out the Ravens' offensive line and quarterback Joe Flacco for their play in Sunday's Divisional Round win over the Texans.
Speaking in a Tuesday radio interview, Reed said Flacco was "rattled" by the Texans' defense, and "just didn't look like he had a hold on the offense." He continued, "(the) offensive line gotta block better ... they gotta communicate better, gotta pick up blocks (and) Joe's gotta get the ball out of his hand." Reed is on the short list of NFL players who can say whatever they want, but a team leader publicly calling out his play likely isn't what Flacco needed heading into the biggest game of his life Sunday.

Thank you Ed Reed :grin:

bobbeaux

ravens def better start looking at themselves . . . i noticed they didn't get much pressure on tj thoughout the texans game . . . i thought, well maybe the game plan was to stuff the run and make tj beat them, but they didn't stop the run either . . . it's going to be a long afternoon if they don't get pressure on brady . . . ;)

RLLD

That is so funny, they left out everything else he said.....if you listen to the entire interview, it sounds very different than the selective quotes taken from it.....wow, just...wow...

JScott

Administrator
That is so funny, they left out everything else he said.....if you listen to the entire interview, it sounds very different than the selective quotes taken from it.....wow, just...wow...

Figured there had to be some explanation. Reed's one of a few players who IMO could say that to his teammates and have them listen to every word and not take exception, but it's not like him to do something like that publicly (though you would know better Ray).

RLLD

Figured there had to be some explanation. Reed's one of a few players who IMO could say that to his teammates and have them listen to every word and not take exception, but it's not like him to do something like that publicly (though you would know better Ray).

In the full interview, he mentions the defense, himself, special teams, and he does in in a context to say that with each rung in the ladder to the super bowl, they will need to get better as a team. Reed is like the vice president of the team, next to Ray Ray, and his comments were completely fine... but sports writers have to make money too I guess, whether the truth is part of their copy is not all that important to them.

Coachnorm

The New England Patriots appear to have dodged a bullet over the health status of tight end Aaron Hernandez. Hernandez, a key weapon for the Patriots, left the divisional playoff win over the Denver Broncos this past Saturday with a head injury in the fourth quarter and did not return. Hernandez said he was OK after the game, which remained the case on Wednesday. "I feel great," Hernandez told reporters, according to ESPN Boston. "Ready to play." Hernandez had four receptions for 55 yards and a touchdown against the Broncos and was also used in the backfield, leading the team with 61 yards on five attempts.

xqj47alpha

Banned
the Pats defense is why they don't belong in the Super Bowl.
Now, all the Ravens offense has to do is prove it by taking the air out of the ball.

Coachnorm

Now, all the Ravens offense has to do is prove it by taking the air out of the ball.

How fast do the Ravens have to go to beat the Pats??

Is 23 points enough?....... they have a 23 point game. Is 24 points enough?..... they have a 24 point game. Is 29 points enough?..... They have a 29 point game.

Do they need 30 + points?,,,,,,,, They have 6 of those !!

Just saying....

JScott

Administrator

Never heard of a team losing due to yardage. Dig a little deeper. 31th in yardage but 15th in scoring. What would you rather have your team give up yards or points? So in the stat that counts they're a middle of the road D who just got Spikes and Chung back (noticeable difference). I'd say they easily belong if they beat BAL.

xqj47alpha

Banned
Never heard of a team losing due to yardage. Dig a little deeper. 31th in yardage but 15th in scoring. What would you rather have your team give up yards or points? So in the stat that counts they're a middle of the road D who just got Spikes and Chung back (noticeable difference). I'd say they easily belong if they beat BAL.
you could be confusing my statement with another thread.
so, good point on the injury updates.

i'm just trying to say the Ravens O needs to play ball control. against a D that is 'middle of the road'
btw JScott what do you have against me that you didn't friend me back?

Last edited by a moderator:

Coachnorm

Good Point, it is points that win games. Chung back is big........ I watched him and Meyo all over the field making stops, even hitting people together. Chung is back with a fury......New England Patriots SS Patrick Chung has been fined $7,500 for an unnecessary roughness penalty he received during the Divisional Round playoff game.

Don't forget Spikes: NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell calls Patriots ILB Brandon Spikes "arguably the most physical and violent inside linebacker" in the NFL.

They give it up between the 20s but in the Red Zone they force FGs.

Coachnorm

What JScott is is referring to is the reference to the Pats as a "bad" defense. While the NFL keeps track of all defensive stats the overall ranking for a Defense 1-32 is based entirely on the yardage given up per Game stat alone. This is really not indicative of how well a defense plays, and I have always tried to look deeper than that ranking alone. That is why he makes reference to points being more important than Yardage as the Points show up on the scoreboard and effect the games outcome more than the amount of yardage a team gives up. You can give up 400 yards a game and be winning all the time if you can keep points off the board. That is something The Patriots D has been doing all season long, even when injuried and banged up, making teams settle for FGs instead of TDs. Other teams have run up and down the field on the Pats all year long and settled for Fgs while the Pats score TDs.

That ranking position when a team is ranked on D is based on yardage given up alone. While this can be a good indicator to how good a D is, it is not the only indicator available. Teams with great O can overcome bad Ds alone. The Saints , Packers, Pats have done well during the season despite ranking very low on D. The Pats, for example, have been banged up on D and given up a lot of ground between the 20s where you may have as much as 80 yards of field to defend. Yet when other teams reach the Red Zone, The 20 yard line, the Pats D holds up well with only 30 yards of field to defend, doing the hold you to FGs thing well. Nobody will say the Pats D is a great D...... But with getting a few key injured players back, I would say we are looking at right now a good D. Middle of the Pack, capable of playing good and making some impact plays, Ranked about 13-15 , if you take everything into account on the D side for the ball and not just yardage. This is just about where they normally rank when not totally beat up with injuries.

Coachnorm

Could one of those surprises be Lee Evans?
Slot him up and convert him into a Wes Welker for a day.

That would be a surprise....... Joe Flacco's secret playoff weapon. I like your thinking though as it would almost be like having two Boldins at once.