2020 NFL Super Bowl News, In/Out and other rumors

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
so just some data...

GB - Reports out now is Aaron Rodgers is talking so much cause he wants a new deal...
JAC - former HC Doug Marrone has become OL coach for Alabama

Phicinfan

Administrator
SEA - hires Shane Waldron from LAR to be new OC
DET - hire Dave Fipp as ST coordinator
SF - re-sign Rb/Wr Jeff Wilson to a one year deal
SF - Nick Mullins had elbow surgery - not as severe as expected, so he avoided Tommy John surgery

Phicinfan

Administrator
Jason Witten TE is retiring, will sign a one day contract in Dallas in March to formally retire as a Cowboy.
Anthony Lynn officially announced as Lions OC
One report out has 1/3 of the league has reached out to Detroit about Matthew Stafford.

Phicinfan

Administrator
As expected, Deshaun Watson has requested a trade with the HC move Houston had done

Phicinfan

Administrator
PIT - owner stated they cannot bring back Big Ben at current cap hit. Also a report is out that Big Ben is willing to adjust his contract. Still no lock he returns though...

Phicinfan

Administrator
So more on Stafford deal.

Detroit gets Goff, rd 3 pick this year, 1st round pick in 2022 and 1st round pick in 2023.
Rams get Stafford.
Detroit also agreed to eat all the cap for Goff's deal, so Rams have more cap room.

Per reports, the ONLY team that Stafford did not want to go to, New England. So there Belicheck

Also trade is not complete until March 17th at 4:01pm. So either team could back out before that.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Mike Pettine DC Green Bay will not be re-signed - his contract ran out
Lovie Smith signs with Houston as DC
Ravens sign TE Nick Boyle to 2 year extension
Steelers saying they will address Tomlin's contract extension this year.

hikeNbike

guessing New England was out because of Pats hiring Patricia back. though apart from that the Pats next Qb will be in a tough spot. Trying to replace Brady on a team gutted of offensive talent.

as for the trade I am not sure I like it for either team. I know the Rams feel like they have the roster to be champs, and the time to strike is now while their defense is as good as it is. I get that logic, but I'm not sure Stafford is that much of an upgrade over Goff, and then strapping two first rounders to the trade on top of it is tough. Granted it frees them from a horrendous contract, though Stafford's contract is not exactly peanuts. Stafford is a good fantasy QB and a good paper QB, I am still trying to decide if he is a good real life QB, and he has a bit of an injury history as well.

The Lions are in rebuilding mode for sure, though thats not the QB I would have rebuilt with, nor the coach, for that matter. Got Two first- round picks out of the deal so that's good. However, they have to wait till next year and the year after, and of course, they have Goff's contract to deal with.

Phicinfan

Administrator
guessing New England was out because of Pats hiring Patricia back. though apart from that the Pats next Qb will be in a tough spot. Trying to replace Brady on a team gutted of offensive talent.

as for the trade I am not sure I like it for either team. I know the Rams feel like they have the roster to be champs, and the time to strike is now while their defense is as good as it is. I get that logic, but I'm not sure Stafford is that much of an upgrade over Goff, and then strapping two first rounders to the trade on top of it is tough. Granted it frees them from a horrendous contract, though Stafford's contract is not exactly peanuts. Stafford is a good fantasy QB and a good paper QB, I am still trying to decide if he is a good real life QB, and he has a bit of an injury history as well.

The Lions are in rebuilding mode for sure, though thats not the QB I would have rebuilt with, nor the coach, for that matter. Got Two first- round picks out of the deal so that's good. However, they have to wait till next year and the year after, and of course, they have Goff's contract to deal with.
You are assuming they are done. Don’t be surprised if Detroit doesn’t deal Goff this or next year. They weren’t close enough to build for this year

Phicinfan

Administrator
More on Stafford - per reports many teams were offering picks for him, Washington, Carolina(included their #8 pick)
On Rams - before they got Stafford, reports out now they tried hard to get Rodgers from GB, but they said no way they are trading him.

hikeNbike

You are assuming they are done. Don’t be surprised if Detroit doesn’t deal Goff this or next year. They weren’t close enough to build for this year
Maybe but that's a hard sell. Rams attached two first round picks and another pick to move Goff for Stafford. Of course you can make the argument Stafford is an upgrade, but I question by how much. Stafford is 33 and has an injury history and Detroit still got big time picks to swap qbs. I think Lions likely would have to give one of those first rounders back to move Goff.

I don't know that there were a lot of options out there for the Rams, so I can see this trade and I hope it works out for them, hate to see that defense go to waste, but I can also see this possibly blowing up in their face too. Stafford has all the physical tools, and stats, but hasn't been on winning teams, I know a lot of that is not his fault, but he also makes a lot of mistakes. I think it takes him a year to get the system down and get the bad organization,bad team out of him. The Rams in my view have a two year window, before defense starts to age out and raises come due that make it too hard to keep everyone.

That's just my view. I'm no expert,but that's my thoughts on the situation.

If I'm the Lions, not sure what I do. Not a big believer in Goff,but I'm not shipping off picks to move him. He did have a good season 2 years ago. Unless you can unload him without giving up picks, I'd give him a shot. Lions aren't in contention anyway. From a fantasy perspective Golladay doesn't look nearly as good for next year. I think Kupp might be a bargain.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Maybe but that's a hard sell. Rams attached two first round picks and another pick to move Goff for Stafford. Of course you can make the argument Stafford is an upgrade, but I question by how much. Stafford is 33 and has an injury history and Detroit still got big time picks to swap qbs. I think Lions likely would have to give one of those first rounders back to move Goff.
Yes, this is win now for Rams, but win later for Lions. Stafford with a REAL OL, will be very, very good.
I don't know that there were a lot of options out there for the Rams, so I can see this trade and I hope it works out for them, hate to see that defense go to waste, but I can also see this possibly blowing up in their face too. Stafford has all the physical tools, and stats, but hasn't been on winning teams, I know a lot of that is not his fault, but he also makes a lot of mistakes. I think it takes him a year to get the system down and get the bad organization,bad team out of him. The Rams in my view have a two year window, before defense starts to age out and raises come due that make it too hard to keep everyone.
if they beat Stafford up, they will lose and lose big. As they will have losses on Def. side due to FA. Again, this feels like HC is all in or out this season.
That's just my view. I'm no expert,but that's my thoughts on the situation.

If I'm the Lions, not sure what I do. Not a big believer in Goff,but I'm not shipping off picks to move him. He did have a good season 2 years ago. Unless you can unload him without giving up picks, I'd give him a shot. Lions aren't in contention anyway. From a fantasy perspective Golladay doesn't look nearly as good for next year. I think Kupp might be a bargain.
You ate the cost of Goff to get the two first round picks. I can see them using him and drafting for the future maybe next year or this year depending on how Qbs fall. Golladay is gone, I don't see Lions resigning him. They also may lose Marvin Jones as well. So no real Wrs at all for Goff, which is why I would build line and def this draft, and focus on Qb and Wr in the next two years.

Phicinfan

Administrator
With Stafford out of play, I am still hearing Indy may be looking at acquiring Wentz.

hikeNbike

Shaq Barrett might be the MVP of the playoffs, every game I've watched he has been unstoppable. JJP been dominant as well.