NFL News, rumors and updates - post combine, pre-draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

efactor

Coming at you
SF - now willing to listen to offers, but want a ton for Deebo
Well, of course they want a ton for Deebo. Hopefully that's not a big shock to people

They traded up to draft him, passing on AJ Brown because of Deebo's specific skill set and how it fit into Shanahans offense. He's a huge part of their offense, so yeah, they aren't giving him away because he is throwing a temper tantrum in the media.

Unless someone blows them away with an offer, he stays. They have all types of leverage since he has another year on his rookie contract and they can franchise tag him below what he is asking for on a yearly basis. If no deal is done before the draft, he will play out his rookie contract and they will deal with it next year and have the entire season to work something out. If they don't, they can still trade him at that point. Deebo is a competitive guy and has the incentive to have another big year. Not the kind of player to just go through the motions this season.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well, of course they want a ton for Deebo. Hopefully that's not a big shock to people

They traded up to draft him, passing on AJ Brown because of Deebo's specific skill set and how it fit into Shanahans offense. He's a huge part of their offense, so yeah, they aren't giving him away because he is throwing a temper tantrum in the media.

Unless someone blows them away with an offer, he stays. They have all types of leverage since he has another year on his rookie contract and they can franchise tag him below what he is asking for on a yearly basis. If no deal is done before the draft, he will play out his rookie contract and they will deal with it next year and have the entire season to work something out. If they don't, they can still trade him at that point. Deebo is a competitive guy and has the incentive to have another big year. Not the kind of player to just go through the motions this season.
I get the feeling this isn't completely true. He is on the last year of his deal, he could hold out and do the late return and then force FA, and as we have seen lately a FT tag won't mean a lot either. For whatever reason, Deebo is adamant he wants to leave San Fran. I wish we knew more of why, I don't believe it is only how he was used.

Remote Controller

It's strictly leverage move for him, and given the workload (the way they use him), he wants his cut of the new wage scale for wideouts. He basically is saying I should be paid like the top WR and a bit more because I also run the ball more and am more prone to be in a position to get hurt. He wants to be the top paid WRB.

efactor

Coming at you
It's strictly leverage move for him, and given the workload (the way they use him), he wants his cut of the new wage scale for wideouts. He basically is saying I should be paid like the top WR and a bit more because I also run the ball more and am more prone to be in a position to get hurt. He wants to be the top paid WRB.
Yeah, but you can't expect to say you don't want to be a quasi RB and then ask to be the highest paid non QB. He's an excellent receiver, BUT he's not a top 5 and wants to be paid like he is without playing the dual role.

This discontentment is a recent thing, so there is probably a way to work it out.

efactor

Coming at you
I get the feeling this isn't completely true. He is on the last year of his deal, he could hold out and do the late return and then force FA, and as we have seen lately a FT tag won't mean a lot either. For whatever reason, Deebo is adamant he wants to leave San Fran. I wish we knew more of why, I don't believe it is only how he was used.
He could but don't see him doing that as it wouldn't increase his value like having another big year would. 2021 was his first big, injury free season. If he has another, it would be shoot his value through the roof.

Plus, that's kind of a low character move and Deebo doesn't strike me as a low character guy. Very competitive and until very recently, seemed happy in SF.

We will see I guess

Phicinfan

Administrator
I would love to see some trades of players, just to keep this draft spicy. It has made this draft that has limited talent fun to follow. I can see a Deebo trade happening in the first round. I think you might see Mayfield or Garoppolo move before the draft is over.

efactor

Coming at you
He could but don't see him doing that as it wouldn't increase his value like having another big year would. 2021 was his first big, injury free season. If he has another, it would be shoot his value through the roof.

Plus, that's kind of a low character move and Deebo doesn't strike me as a low character guy. Very competitive and until very recently, seemed happy in SF. If he did pull that, they still have the FT option and can slap it on him and then trade him.

We will see I guess

efactor

Coming at you
He's trying to strike while the iron is hot.
Yeah, but my point was the 49ers have leverage and it will require a big haul for them to trade him

He seems to think he can put out he wants to be traded in the media and they have to trade him. They don't. He'll get his, but it may take a year if the trade value offered isn't enough and he doesn't want to sign a new deal with them. Playing for 4 million when you could be getting 22 million or more isn't too smart financially.

If the only thing he has issue with is running the ball too much, that should be easy to work out. Actually, I don't think they wanted him to run the ball as much as he did last year, but Mitchell was banged up, Sermon wasn't ready to play and Wilson was hurt (even when he came back, he wasn't right). I would bet they draft a pass catching back in the 5th or 6th as well.

Remote Controller

.....and I don't think he has a problem with running and being a big star. He is simply trying to work them for a haul.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Yeah, but my point was the 49ers have leverage and it will require a big haul for them to trade him

He seems to think he can put out he wants to be traded in the media and they have to trade him. They don't. He'll get his, but it may take a year if the trade value offered isn't enough and he doesn't want to sign a new deal with them. Playing for 4 million when you could be getting 22 million or more isn't too smart financially.

If the only thing he has issue with is running the ball too much, that should be easy to work out. Actually, I don't think they wanted him to run the ball as much as he did last year, but Mitchell was banged up, Sermon wasn't ready to play and Wilson was hurt (even when he came back, he wasn't right). I would bet they draft a pass catching back in the 5th or 6th as well.
Again, look at the principal of Davante Adams. They FTed him, they were negotiating and per reports he was offered more money than where he went, but he was so frustrated with the process he forced a trade. Like it or not, a team does not want its key player holding out. Yes, they save some money, but they lose use of that asset, and then when they do trade the value drops as teams know you want to deal that player. It becomes a buyers market rather than a sellers.

Phicinfan

Administrator
DAL - Stephen Jones stated team may look at drafting a Rb
BUF - picked up 5th year option on Ed Oliver
NYJ - exercised 5th year option on Quinnen Williams

efactor

Coming at you
Again, look at the principal of Davante Adams. They FTed him, they were negotiating and per reports he was offered more money than where he went, but he was so frustrated with the process he forced a trade. Like it or not, a team does not want its key player holding out. Yes, they save some money, but they lose use of that asset, and then when they do trade the value drops as teams know you want to deal that player. It becomes a buyers market rather than a sellers.
But my point again. If they don’t get a trade they feel is adequate, keep him. He’s tradable even under the FT. Adams got a good haul for almost 30 year old receiver who played with a HOF QB who fed him virtually every game. Samual won’t hold out this year. He may threaten, but he’ll play a full schedule.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
Start the one week countdown clock on Daniel Jones. NY has 7 days left to pick up his 5th year option or he will be playing this season on an expiring contract.

Phicinfan

Administrator
ATL - GM stated he would like to add a Qb in this draft at some point
CAR - GM stated he is comfortable with 2 Qbs at #6 where they are now
PHI - Eagles talking to multiple teams about trading up..
NYG/CAR - taking calls about trading back....

Phicinfan

Administrator
One day to go....
DAL - Jerry Jones has no new information on investigation of Kelvin Joseph - still being investigated by Police and League
CAR - Per the GM Fitterer - they have talked to half the league, and 3-4 teams are very interested in trading up to #6 - he would like to go no further than the teens though (Hello Philly and New Orleans....)
Evan Neal dealing with some chatter that he has an injury issue - his agent and others have denied that and he was not called back for a re-check for the combine either
LVR - Derek Carr is stating there is no way the team will trade TE Darren Waller
DEN - re-signing Rb Melvin Gordon to a one year deal
ATL - planning to use Cordarrelle Patterson in multiple spots
JAC - rumors flying that Travon Walker will be #1 pick - Wow, Jacksonville will screw up another #1 pick....
DET - exercise 5th year option on T.J. Hockenson, also re-sign K Riley Patterson
N.O. - sign FA C Will Clapp
ARI - re-sign Cb Antonio Hamilton
CHI - looking to trade back this year

Phicinfan

Administrator
TB - picked up 5th year option on Devin White
JAC - agreed to terms on a long term contract with OT Cam Robinson - he was FTed this year
Rumors have Derek Stingley Jr moving up to #3 with Houston.....

efactor

Coming at you
Interesting blurb on Niners Nation. No substance, but wouldn't surprise me if it happens tomorrow night. The 2 main writers at that site hate the 49ers it seems, so definitely not a homer article:

The feeling inside the league is that the Niners are listening to offers for Deebo Samuel and the Jets are going to put together such a massive package for Deebo Samuel that the Niners will not be able to turn away.

Everyone says that Kyle Shanahan would like to keep Deebo Samuel. But again, the feeling is what the Jets are offering, as they say in The Godfather, the Jets will make an offer the Niners can’t refuse.

That’s is the word in league circles tonight. Within the league, executives feel that the No. 10 pick will go the San Francisco 49ers and Deebo Samuel will be a New York Jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.