WR Michael Thomas- Your top 10, Top 5

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
How good will this kid be playing with Brees minus Cooks? What WR ranking do you give him this fantasy year? Did you know that he finished as WR 9 last year playing as a rookie.

Here's a story from rotoworld.com.

Michael Thomas has bulked up from 210 pounds to 220.

By Pro Football Focus' count, Thomas broke 20 tackles as a rookie, fourth most amongst receivers. He will now be even harder to take down. The WR9 by total points last season, Thomas could explode to truly elite status in 2017 with Brandin Cooks out of the picture. Thomas led New Orleans in catches, targets and touchdowns last year.

ExperiencedRookie

How good will this kid be playing with Brees minus Cooks? What WR ranking do you give him this fantasy year? Did you know that he finished as WR 9 last year playing as a rookie.

Here's a story from rotoworld.com.
I absolutely LOVE this kid for this year. I know the stats aren't the greatest for New Orleans #1 WR with Brees, but this kid is better than Cooks/Colston/all the other bums.

I'm expecting a hook up like Brees-Graham a few years back.

cctekguy

Staff member
Thomas is great.

...but the Saints are terrible, Brees is old, defenses are wise and so on.

Great players on bad teams can still do well but expectations should be tempered a little.

hikeNbike

Dude was awesome for me last year. Supposed to be my third receiver behind Brown and Cobb but was my easily my second and was glad to have him. Now if I can just get Gordon back from suspension my receivers are all set.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
First, let me say I think Thomas has the potential to be a huge and top flight #1 Wr.

That being said, it won't happen in N.O.

Why?

The defense, while improving is still porous. Why did they spend for AP? Why keep Ingram? Why spend a pretty high draft pick on Kamura? They want to run, eat clock and keep the defense off the field. They have the ability to do the quick strike scores, but they need to run more clock. I see more short passes to Kamura and running by AP and Ingram.

Now, will his numbers drop, no, he can easily repeat last year. But you still have Sneed, TE and now a really, really talented receiver in the back field Kamura who will be a Bush/Sproles clone.

Net, he is a great Wr to have, but he won't explode much more than he did last year. IMO.

hikeNbike

Brown will be wr #1 and Thomas #2 next year. And Cobb #3. Then I will have the greatest fantasy football team in all the land.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Brown will be wr #1 and Thomas #2 next year. And Cobb #3. Then I will have the greatest fantasy football team in all the land.

At some point. you have to start sharing what you are smoking......o_O:(:D

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
Barring injury, I don't see how this guy doesn't better his #9 WR stats from last year. 100+ targets just left for New England, Brees is still chucking the ball 500+ times a year and throwing 30+ TDs. Peyton is still the coach... They'll be the same old Saints they've always been.. Shootouts and offensive fantasy points galore!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Any Saint's fan can tell you that they've wanted to run more for years. It just never works out that way. Don't think for a second that we are becoming a ground and pound unit. Our offense will still be airborne.

hikeNbike

In all serious I think Thomas can and should better his stats. With Cook leaving I expect more targets. Fleener also might be better this year. At least I think he is still in NO.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Any Saint's fan can tell you that they've wanted to run more for years. It just never works out that way. Don't think for a second that we are becoming a ground and pound unit. Our offense will still be airborne.
Very, very true, but that is not what I meant.

I do think they will try to run, and will when successful. But you don't pay Brees what you do, to have him hand off. No, my concerns for Thomas are Kamura, and the fact he is a legit receiver out of the back field, to take catches like Sproles and Bush. I also think Snead takes up some. Plus they have decent Tes.

Fact is N.O. spreads the ball around. I don't think they will ever focus solely on one target.

hikeNbike

If healthy I feel like last year's stats are his floor which was 92 catches 1100 yards and 9 touchdowns. Even just a 10% increase gets him over 100 catches and double digit tds. A 20% bump would be a monster year and I believe that's attainable.