Who is headed toward disaster in 2009?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Mike peaked my interest with this thought of a disaster looming in Baltimore. I wondered what you other folks thought of who might be headed for doom.

My thoughts...subject to change...

Denver

Mike

Administrator
Denver is a big candidate, but considering where they were last year, will it be a big drop?

Indy is one I a am watching. I am not one to stalk a new head coach, but this guy has a job ahead of him.

Dallas is always on high alert.

I dont' see any team with a franchise QB achieving disastrous results without the wrong owner in place.

I studied to be a cop and the first thing I was taught? Water rolls down hill. Why? Because the competition got to ride with a crazy dog and a flag waving while going 'Code 3' through the ville.

It always starts at the top. Always

That being said, disaster awaits the Usual Suspects: Lions, Bengals, Raiders (currently), Browns, etc...Any team without an SB win by now.

Disaster so far as high hopes turning Pink? Dallas for real. Niners. Kansas City. Jets and Bills for obvious reason.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Indy........I guess thats got to come down to Caldwell having the respect of the troops like Dungy did.

I don't see Manning losing control of his team.

Even if it rains.

they just need their running game back. and a deep threat. haahhaa those who like (the osu) gonzo.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Teams I expect to decline this year:
Arizona - if they deal Boldin..which I keep hearing and don't address other contract needs...this team will rip each other apart. Plus there is the stigma of all losing superbowl teams drop down each year.

Baltimore - Losses on defense, no help on offense and possible sophmore jinx for Flacco. Add a tougher schedule as well, I see a slighty better fall than cleveland this year.

Denver- totally dismantled the team...so they will have growing pains for a while.

Tennessee - Losses on defense...and not better addressing the Qb or Wr issue...will kill this team. They won't catch people by surprise this year.

Minnesota - I see GB and Chicago improving, but they don't want to fix the Qb...Rosefels is not the answer....so they will lose more....as teams will take Peterson out of the game and force the passing game to win.

Tampa Bay - again, they have dismantled...and not really re-stocked. So a let down is coming this year.

I also don't see New Orleans getting much better..until they learn to run and defend.
I see a dip for Carolina if they continue to lose on the defensive side of the ball.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Atlanta and Miami both come back to earth this year and neither make the playoffs.

DearbornDolfan

I don't know how you come to that conclusion for Miami, Miller. Most every position of need has been addressed, with only CB being one that must be addressed with multiple picks in the upcoming draft. Another wide receiver is needed for depth purposes and SOLB should probably be addressed at some point just for the sake of being thorough. But, on the whole, the team is far deeper and more talented than last year, not to mention more experienced.

Miami won a lot of games last year that it wouldn't have the year before by being tough, disciplined, and smart. That's not going to change any time soon and on the whole I expect Miami will be in the hunt for another East championship.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
yeah, but they are not going to play a cupcake schedule that they were blassed to play last year.....8-8. They may be a better team than last year, but they were not near as good as their record a year ago so it all balances out. It is a middle tier team that did well and took advantage of their schedule a year ago. This year they draw the NFC South and the AFC South, plus add in Pitt and SD!!! Just a much more difficult road and due to it the record will reflect that. Sorry, they are just a middle of the road team.....

DearbornDolfan

I think 10-6 is a good record to stand on, since I think you're giving wins to a couple teams that don't deserve it (Bills and Jets). Losses come against teams that are unquestionably better, while I give wins to the Fins against teams I know they can beat. I don't know that 10-6 will keep the Fins out of the playoffs this season, not in an AFC that won't be anywhere near as competitive.

Home Games

Bills: Win
Texans: Win
Colts: Loss
New England: Win
Saints: Loss
Jets: Win
Steelers: Loss
Bucs: Win

Away
Falcons: Win
Panthers: Loss
Jaguars: Win
Patriots: Loss
Chargers: Win
Titans: Loss

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
Teams I expect to decline this year:

Baltimore - Losses on defense, no help on offense and possible sophmore jinx for Flacco. Add a tougher schedule as well, I see a slighty better fall than cleveland this year.

See, I see a full year of learning Cam's offense as a good thing. The addition of Birk makes the OL better and I think Foxworth is an upgrade over Rolle. I also believe that the NFC East is more competitive than the NFC North and we went 3-1 last year vs the NFC East

Ravens play at home:

AFC North
Bears
Den
Chiefs
Colts
Lions

and on the road:

AFC North
Pats
Chargers
Packers
Raiders
Vikings

I see no more than 6 losses

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Well if you think 10-6 for them then I am very confident my 8-8 prediction is very strong since your :homer: glasses are good for at least 2 more wins than they will get :biglaugh:

and 5-1 in their division....just not going to happen, they didn't do that last year, what makes you think they will do it this year?? Brady is back, TO is now in the division and Rex Ryan is building a defensive monster in NY.....sorry, pass some of what your smoking over here. Also, the phins are going out West and beating SD??? REALLY??? Come on now.....

After a closer look, 8 wins may be a stretch against that schedule......

Games I feel good about them winning:
Bills - Home
Texans - Home
Jets - Home
Bucs - Home

Games I feel good about them losing:
Colts - Home
Steelers - Home
@ Buffalo
@ Carolina
@ NE
@ SD
@ Tennessee

Games that right now could go either way:
Saints - Home
Patriots - Home
@ Falcons
@ Jacksonville
@ Jets

I think 10-6 is a good record to stand on, since I think you're giving wins to a couple teams that don't deserve it (Bills and Jets). Losses come against teams that are unquestionably better, while I give wins to the Fins against teams I know they can beat. I don't know that 10-6 will keep the Fins out of the playoffs this season, not in an AFC that won't be anywhere near as competitive.

Home Games

Texans: Win
Colts: Loss
New England: Win
Saints: Loss
Steelers: Loss
Bucs: Win

Away
Falcons: Win
Panthers: Loss
Jaguars: Win
Patriots: Loss
Chargers: Win
Titans: Loss

DearbornDolfan

Well if you think 10-6 for them then I am very confident my 8-8 prediction is very strong since your :homer: glasses are good for at least 2 more wins than they will get :biglaugh:

Funny how I thought 9-7 was reasonable and people scoffed at that.

and 5-1 in their division....just not going to happen, they didn't do that last year, what makes you think they will do it this year??
They went 4-2 with the first divisional loss against the Jets being a very winnable game.

Brady is back,
Maybe. Even so, I don't think he's going to be the same guy. Doesn't change the fact that the series is almost always a split, which is what I predicted.

TO is now in the division

TO's presence won't change how Jauron calls his game, I don't think, and TO's biggest threat is down the field where Edward's arm can't reach. I look forward to the day TO takes a slant over the middle and has either Yeremiah Bell or Gibril Wilson absolutely destroys his world.

TO also isn't a lineman and doesn't play defense, which is where Buffalo's deficiencies are. The passing game isn't what got them swept by Miami, it was mediocre (at best) blocking and an inability to stop the Fins' offense. That's not going to change, unfortunately.

and Rex Ryan is building a defensive monster in NY
Building being the key word. It'll take a couple seasons and in the mean time the Jets' offense is going to be absolutely pathetic.

Also, the phins are going out West and beating SD??? REALLY??? Come on now.....
The Fins dominated the Bolts in all four quarters of Wk 4 last season, or have you forgotten? The change in venue isn't going to overcome that kind of showing, IMO.

After a closer look, 8 wins may be a stretch against that schedule
Really? I have 500k that say you're wrong. Eight wins, straight over/under.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
DD, I'll take that bet at 8.5, after all my prediction is still 8-8, just don't feel as good about it after breaking down the schedule. But if you have the stones to put up 500k on the over at 8.5, I'll take the bet from you.....

DearbornDolfan

DD, I'll take that bet at 8.5, after all my prediction is still 8-8, just don't feel as good about it after breaking down the schedule. But if you have the stones to put up 500k on the over at 8.5, I'll take the bet from you.....

All day long, baby.