What would it take for the Lions to turn it around as fast as the Dolphins?

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Hear me out for a second before you laugh yourself silly. This time last year we were cracking the identical jokes at the Fish as we are enjoying at the expense of the Lions. Is it possible for the Lions to go from 0-16 to respectable, even contenders like the Dolphins next year?

I can only assume it is indeed possible and maybe even probable now that the institution of failure has been bounced. The Dolphins may have shown the NFL's laughable organizations how to turn around their fortunes.

1) First, bring in a guy who knows how to build a team and put him behind the wheel. Is that guy known right now? I don't see that person at this point in the season but I feel if the Lions are serious about not sucking this is the first position I would fill.

2) Bring in a game managing quarterback. Pennington just does NOT turn the ball over. That is the key to the Dolphins in-game success. I'm sure the quarterback market will be saturated this off-season as teams cut loose guys and move in a different direction. In the Lions case this guy must also be able to get the ball downfield to Calvin Johnson in addition to not throwing picks. Culpepper just isn't that guy. Dan Orlovsky may be that guy for the Lions. He's young and under the right leadership could evolve into a game managing quarterback. This team should also look at the draft for a long term solution. It would never happen but Brady Quinn would be solid for the Lions.

3) Use the top draft pick earned through failure to lock up a bookend offensive lineman....left tackle would be ideal. Is there a Jake Long or Ryan Clady in this year’s draft? Everything starts up front on both sides of the ball. That is where the Lions must focus their attentions. In the draft you can pick up an offensive lineman and build a team around him in his rookie year. Teams are not so lucky with defensive linemen so the Lions should look to free agency to pick up a few defensive linemen. Time to open up the coffers.

4) Bring in an innovative head coach who will design his offense around the talent and not some predefined scheme. This is where the Lions have the highest degree of potential for success. Guys like Sparano and Harbaugh have done great things with the tools available on the roster, in the draft, and in free agency. There are plenty of guys who are available to fill this role. Stop with the Cowher and Shannahan talk, it ain’t happening. If Lane Kiffin didn’t sign with the Vols he would be outstanding in Detriot. I think the best Lions head coach is a coordinator on someone’s team right now.

The tools of success are there for the Lions. Kevin Smith was underutilized this season and Calvin Johnson dominated in spite of the best attempts of the coaching staff to screw things up. CJ is a once in a decade talent and if the other items listed above are added you will see Randy Moss like numbers from him. Smith is a dual threat and can be very, very good given the right set of circumstances.

So I ask you, am I crazy thinking the Lions can turn it around and be a force as early as next season?

Runnik's Hambones

Ram, I didn't even have to hear you out before I believed it was possible. Seriously, you give great points and it would likely take all of them in order for it to work, but Miami and Atlanta have made believers out of me.

Mike

Administrator
The Detroit Lions are screwed from the start here because the Dolphins had no business being a 1 win team last year. I don't get really excited about their turn around because the basically severely underperformed in 2007, and were playing with some talented but inexperienced guys.

In addition to that, they were playing without their top running backs.

As a result of injuries, and lackluster play, they went into 2008 with their outstanding running backs healthy, great draft picks in a perfect year for what they needed, and a key free agent addition of Pennington.

Dolphins were basically a 7-9/8-8 caliber team that was blessed with a #1 draft slot and a nice QB signing thanks to one horrible season.

You have a great plan for a turnaround for the Lions, but the fact of the matter is they are much farther away from being a successful team than the Dolphins were. They have a horrible offensive line that will take a couple years to truly rebuild. They have one receiver that needs to be any part of future rebuilding (megatron), a "possible" future running back (still unproven), and an absolute disaster of a defense.

I don't think it matters who you put at the top of this organization, they are going to have a losing record against the NFC North next season, I would say 2 wins if they are lucky against their division. Regardless what their out of division schedule is, if they manage 4 wins there, I think it would be a major success.

so, if the Lions finish 2009 with 6 wins, I think their fans have something to be optimistic about. If they somehow manage to go 8-8, they need to be throwing a party in Detroit. If they were to make it an 11 game turnaround, that would be the sports story of the century.

A QB, RB and WR is all you need to be a winning team in the NFL. (The Colts of say 5-6 years ago, Greatest show on turf, the one year the Bengals did it, the Browns last year.)

Detroit has 2/3 imo. I've been very impressed with Kevin Smith who would be getting much more press were it not for Chris Johnson :koolaid:, Forte, Slaton, all having unbelievable years for rookie RB's.

The defense has some very good players on it- Sims, Dizon when he was healthy. A solid CB and pass rushing DE would do wonders for them.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
A QB, RB and WR is all you need to be a winning team in the NFL. (The Colts of say 5-6 years ago, Greatest show on turf, the one year the Bengals did it, the Browns last year.)

Detroit has 2/3 imo. I've been very impressed with Kevin Smith who would be getting much more press were it not for Chris Johnson :koolaid:, Forte, Slaton, all having unbelievable years for rookie RB's.

The defense has some very good players on it- Sims, Dizon when he was healthy. A solid CB and pass rushing DE would do wonders for them.

I think you need more than skill players. You need an offensive line designed to execute the offense and then insert skill players into that system. That is a ton more difficult to do than say but if the Lions want to get a tradition of winning going they must go for the long term. O-linemen can play effectively for 10-15 years. Skill players might get to 10 years if lucky and subtract years if their o-line sucks. That's why I believe the Lions must focus intently on getting the line in order.

I also feel the same about defensive line. You could have an All-World corner but he won't be able to cover an average NFL WR for more than 5 seconds. The only way to shorten the time in coverage is to pressure the quarterback, hence a need to get pressure up front. Defensive linemen have been making corner's careers since the inception of the swim technique.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i agree, a qb rb and wr trio are the last thing a team needs to put it over the top. it starts on the line on both sides of the ball, and it weighs a lot more heavily on defense than offense. and on coaching. get all of those things in place -- none of them are right now -- and then having megatron will matter.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
if so, only because the division blows. and before you quote matt ryan and michael turner, they are not the only two guys playing differently on that team this year. the coaching and defense is not even comprable.

No team is the same year after year so that argument makes no sense. The draft and free agency is constantly changing every team in the league.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
lol, this division has blown year after year for most of my life. i dont expect that to change in 2009. :)

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I don't think Detroit is all that bad. They need more help at WR. Had they kept Kitna...they would be fine at Qb. The defense is short of awful...and need alot of help. I like Kevin Smith at Rb, and Wrs are okay. If they can get a key piece on the O-line and some talent on Defense they should fine.

Mike

Administrator
The difference between very good and very bad these days is really not a huge difference. This is why bad teams CAN turn around within a couple years now. Gotta have a good front office and solid coaching staff for this to happen though.

The Lions are rebuilding the front office from within, so the are screwed from the start once again.

Fire

in the hole
Anyone interseted in my opinion can read my post in the thread about the Eagles guy not interested in going to Detroit. I don't blame him one bit.