Vikings Playoff Game To Be Blacked Out?

Mike

Administrator
As of noon today, there were 8,000 tickets left for Sunday’s Vikings playoff game against Philadelphia at the Metrodome.

That represents a significant hurdle, and it’s looking more likely that the Vikings will need a dramatic turn to avoid a local TV blackout of the game.

Vikings vice president of sales and marketing Steve LaCroix said he’s “cautiously optimistic” that the game will sell out. LaCroix said that he’s not aware of any Vikings playoff games that were ever blacked out. So this weekend could mark the first time that’s happened.

LaCroix said there are no major corporate sponsors lined up at this point to buy the extra remaining tickets to avoid a blackout.

Full Story

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
This is absolutely pathetic... I'm considering buying an airplane ticket and flying out there etc. just because the tickets are so cheap.

Minnesota's fans ought to be ashamed. This is a playoff game people!!

SC#20

Dominator!
If I was in Minnesota, I wouldn't want to waste my money to see the thrashing the Eagles are gonna put on em.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
~~ Its the damn playoffs, To hell with selling out just televise the damn game. Thats going to suck for all of you Viking fans.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
lol, the tickets are insane prices. they dont deserve to be bought.
are you kidding me? I just went to ticket master to see these "insane prices" and got section 133 (50 yd line!!!) row 14 for $160 each! That is 14 yards off the field for PLAYOFF tickets! If I could support my team for that in a playoff atmosphere in some of the best seats in the house I'd jump all over it!! What I want to know is what crappy ass support does Minnesota have for this team that it's even possible to get those tickets the week before the game! I would imagine that in 85% + of the NFL cities single game playoff tickets never even go on sell b/c of season ticket holders and them getting options to buy additional tickets.

I then went to upper level best available and they are $80! How is this insane for a NFL game? Believe me, if that city doesn't want to support a NFL playoff team, there are many cities that will!! The prices are not above market for NFL playoff games, and other cities seem to sell them at ease.

Mike and Bird are dead on, this is PATHETIC!

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
Some people are being laid off and don't have jobs. And remember Christmas was just a week ago. Maybe some people think having a nice Christmas is more important then a playoff game.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Some people are being laid off and don't have jobs. And remember Christmas was just a week ago. Maybe some people think having a nice Christmas is more important then a playoff game.
That may be the case....but there are plenty of people out there Nic where this is not the case. There are 3 other games this weekend, in SD, Miami, and Arizona.....to my knowledge they are all sold out. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of a playoff blackout.

I know times are tough, but I think blaming the ticket prices on not selling this game it weak...and just not the case. Cincinnati sold all of their crappy ass games out this year to watch the BENGALS! And in Cincy, if they would actually ever host another playoff game, even in this economy it would sell out prior to any single game tickets being available....I just don't get this one.

Remote Controller

This suprises me. Earlier this week the only talk I heard was about the Cardinal fans not ponying up. When I heard this about the Viking Fans I was shocked! I bet there are plenty of people headed that way to scoop up tickets. We had many Viking fans in Cherokee Iowa, and I bet they are at least in Mankato by now!

gmrcharity

This just shows how many tickets are purchased by corporate sponsors and given away. This is why the Hartford Whalers went to Carolina and why the Hartford Wolfpack are about to leave town. They can be full during the season but once the playoffs come, the place in completely empty. This is because the corporate partners dont usually buy playoff tickets. This is how you can tell the fanbase for a team.

Runnik's Hambones

I'm with Miller on this one. I can't imagine the Bucs not selling out every freaking game.

Then again, there was a time in which like 5,000 people showed up for games lol.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i read that the cards are having potential blackout issues too, not as bad as minnesota though.

Mike

Administrator
Yeah, both teams have been given extensions on the blackout.

I say move the teams. I bet the San Antonio Vikings would be sold out right now :)