UPDATED 4/24/09: Khris' Personal 2009 NFL Mock Draft

Runnik's Hambones

Since the draft is coming up and I've been researching quite a bit to get ready for Khris and Ryan's Fantasy Football Draft Special, I decided to go ahead and make my own mock draft. This is the 1st round of picks that I think WILL happen more than SHOULD happen, however there will be a bit of should biases that will come through.

1. Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
Detroit has many holes and this first pick is wildly debated. At the end of the day you cannot place value on a franchise QB and that's what this pick is about. I don't know if Stafford will be the next Matt Ryan (in fact I'm pretty sure he won't be). He has the physical ability to make tough throws and can move in and out of the pocket when he needs to. The reason he's no Matt Ryan is because I don't believe he's as smart as Ryan is. Last year we saw Matt shine and when taking a look back at his film, it's because he worked his ass off in the film room, learning reads and not just relying on his physical skill. I don't know if Stafford is that commited and that mature to hop in and be Detroit's savior. Still, he's going to have help in their run game with Kevin Smith and Calvin Johnson is a freak of nature. While I don't think Stafford can solve all of their problems, he has way too much upside to pass.

2. St. Louis Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
There's no doubt in my mind that St. Louis wants this spot filled. Pace is gone and was past his prime in St. Louis anyway. Also, last year Miami selected Jake Long, which the Rams had their eyes on big time. In an attempt to finally fill that hole, I think they take Jason Smith here. It comes down to Smith or Eugene Monroe from Virginia. I think they will pull the trigger on Smith.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forrest
In my opinion, and many others, Aaron Curry is the best talent coming into the 2009 draft. I love what Kansas City has done in the offseason. First, getting a new head coach and a new GM, and second getting Matt Cassel and Vrabel for a second round pick. Whatever the foul play involved with that deal, you have to be impressed. Curry and Vrabel will make for a nice center peice in which to build your defense around. Hopefully, with a lot more help from Glenn Dorsey, they can get things rolling up in KC.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
I was pretty sold that Seattle was going to select Michael Crabtree, even though they had holes on their offensive lines (and by holes I mean gaping, wide, huge ass holes!). But with their recent move to snag All-Pro WR, TJ Houshmandzadeh from free agency, they have allowed themselves to get great value from their first round pick. If Monroe is available here (if St. Louis opts to get Smith instead), then Seattle should pick Eugene.

5. Cleveland Browns: Brian Orakpo, OLB, Texas
Cleveland had their eyes on Aaron Curry all offseason long. They watched, hoping he would be theirs, but as they watched, Curry's value continued to rise. Now that Aaron if virtually out of reach completely, I see Cleveland taking Orakpo here. He was an absolute monster in Texas and should fit nicely as an OLB in their 3-4 defense. Another possibility was Malcolm Jenkins or Vontae Davis to fill their secondary needs.

6. Cincinnati Bengals: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
This was the first difficult choice for me. My heart says B.J. for multiple reasons: 1. He's freaking awesome; 2. Cincinnati was ranked 30th in sacks last season, and they could really, really use him; 3. Raji impressed them at the Senior Bowl (which they coached). My head however says go offensive line, and had Andre Smith not dropped as far as he did due to his Combine mix up, I would have gone OT here, depending on if Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe or Andre Smith would have been available here. I feel this way (Sorry Miller) because last year the Bengals were also 30th in the league in sacks allowed and 29th in rushing. Now that Palmer is coming back off of injury, I can only imagine that they would really, really like to protect him better. In the end, I went with Raji.

7. Oakland Raiders: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
While I think that Michael Crabtree is the best reciever coming into the draft, he's not that much higher than Maclin on my list. It comes down to these two I would assume. The Raiders have a decent defense, and they aren't hurtting there as much as the picks ahead of them. With that said, they really need a decent reciever, and where Crabtree lacks, Maclin makes up for. Michael is not considered extremely fast, and with his slightly broken foot, we're not really sure exaclty how fast the guy is anyway. Maclin on the other hand ran a 4.48 in the Combine, not great by any means, especially because coming into that run he was rumored to be a 4.3 WR. Still, Maclin is possibly the best return man in all of the draft, and because he is suppose to be faster than Crabtree, I think Al Davis will have a hard time passing him up.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
That leaves us with Crabtree on the board, but not for long. The Jags are in desperate need of a WR that's not hooked on crack. I talked both Crabtree and Maclin up in the above post so this should be short and sweet. If Crabtree's available, this is where he goes; if Maclin is available, the Jags will take him.

9. Green Bay Packers: Everette Brown, OLB, Florida State
I loved Brown at FSU this past season. And now that the Packers are running a 3-4, look for them to get someone to play opposite Aaron Kampman. Ok, let me stop there real quick. The Packers are looked at having, IMO, the most scary LB core in all of football. Just listen to this: Aaron Kampan, Nick Barnett, AJ Hawk, and Everette Brown. Are you freaking kidding me? Seriously, that just makes me smile. Luckily for the Packers they picked the perfect year to go 3-4. This draft is deep with DEs from college that look as if they will make nice transitions to the OLB spot. It's pretty much guaranteed that Orakpo will not be available at the ninth spot. The other possibilty is Aaron Maybin, but I think Brown is the better option here.

10. San Francisco 49ers: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
This is kind of a "if he's available you have to take him" situation. The 49ers have more than one need. Like OL. I would expect Andre Smith to be availble here and he is a likely pick I would think (San Fran lead the league in sacks allowed last year). They could also do with a pass rusher and some secondary, but Sanchez has everything you're looking for in a QB. Doesn't he just seem like a 49er all ready? Like he was born for this role? I mean we already see he looks good in red, right? One thing that I like about Sanchez, more than Stafford is that I think Sanchez is more intellegent. I think he lacks the physical skill of Stafford but I think with patience, Sanchez can develop into a nice QB in the next few years.

11. Buffalo Bills: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
Talk about a young stud. Aaron Maybin is turning 21 this month! He decided to enter the draft after only his sophmore year in college in which he recorded 12 sacks. Talk about upside! Seriously, he's young and may need to develop a bit but come on, 21 years old! He's got plenty of time to get better and I think he will only get faster and stronger over the next 4 years. The Bills adressed their offense by signing TO. Another possibilty would be RB, seeing as Lynch has some off-the-field issues here and there. Still, their biggest hole is thier pass rush. It was crap last year.

12. Denver Broncos: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
Talk about options. Denver is in a great spot to upgrade their defense now. Although they got rid of their QB, Jay Cutler, yesterday, I don't see them getting one in this draft unless they trae up to at least ten and grab Sanchez. In all seriousness, I think that Orton is a capable QB to lead that offense so their biggest hole is on defense. I LOVE the move to get Dawkins over the offseason, and now to help him out more, get an end that can rush the passer!

13. Washington Redskins: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
I know a lot of people are down right scared of Andre Smith at this point because of his work ethic. This makes the 13th pick an absolute steal, IMO. You're getting theoretical, #1 overall talent here. The Skins basically need someone to help keep men off of Campbell, but mostly keep Portis as healthy as possible. Another spot that they could use help at is DE, now that they released Jason Taylor. They need someone to play next to their big signing, Albert Hayneswort. If Denver doesn't take Tyson Jackson I could see Washington perhaps skipping Andre to get him.

14. New Orleans Saints: Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S, Ohio State
This pick pretty much comes down to Jenkins vs Vontae Davis. I'm picking Jenkins because I personally like him more. I watched a bit of film on the two of them and Jenkins seems to have a nack for getting the ball a bit faster than Davis. I feel, however, that you can sub these two in and out of this spot for the Saints.

15. Houston Texans: Clay Matthews, OLB, USC
Houston's new defensive coordinator is a LB guy all the way. They adressed their DE issue by signing free agent Antonio Smith, and I see them going with an outside backer here. Clay Matthews plays with great intensity. The other rumor that I heard mostly was Beanie Wells. I have a hard time believing that the Texans would use their 1st rounder on a RB when they have Steve Slayton. Not to say that Slayton/Wells duo wouldn't be awesome, but they just have far less of a need at RB than OLB.

16. San Deigo Chargers: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
I like Oher. He's dropped on a lot of peoples draft boards after the Combine, but I feel that he's a very talented RT. It's hard to find a hole in the Chargers team. I love their defense and of course I could have gone there and gotten a LB or DB. I also thought of Knowshon, since that's a bit of a rumor. When looking for holes I found one. RT Jeromey Clary gave up over 6 sacks last year, and since Oher was still on the board, I pulled the trigger. I feel like this is two birds with one stone as well. Not only does this help Phillip Rivers, but it helps the running game a bit more too. Plus, there are som very talented RBs in this draft that will likely not find a team until mid-3rd round, so if SD is bent that seriously on a RB, they could always go there later. I think OT is more important however, especially since they franchise tagged Sproles and resigned LT.

17. New York Jets: Chris "Beanie" Wells
This came down to Moreno, Wells, and Harvin for me. While I like Moreno the best out of those, something tells me that Wells' style of play would fit here the best. He's more of a down hill runner and seeing as Thomas Jones is 31, he's going to fall off of that beastly performace soon. Plus, who knows if he'll even be in a Jets uniform next year? With Leon Washington as the speedy threat, Wells could be the thunder. Harvin would replace Laverneous-Coles, however I can't seem to justify picking him this high. Wells it is.

18. Denver Broncos: Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
Currently the Broncos' starting middle linbacker is Nate Webster (31). Rey is the man. I think that with Jackson and Maualuga, Denver goes from being one of the worst defenses in the league to at least middle of the road, especially since they're going 3-4.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi
First off, please God, as a Bucs fan, don't draft Freeman. At least not yet. IMO, Freeman is not 1st round material. I would much rather see us fill the middle. Peria is athletic and quick and can even play DE if needed. He's great against the run and in this draft, next to Raji, there's no one better at DT. Also, I can't see the Bucs drafting Moreno. Seriously, with the recent signing of Derrick Ward and Earnest Graham coming back; not to mention the fact that I read an article today about how excited the coaches are at seeing Cadillac working out. No room for another RB. The only other real thought I had was Hakim Nicks, but that was more of a personal wish. We have Stovall, Clayton, Bryant, and it looks like they're having Dexter Jackson go wide. Don't think they'll go reciever this early, not when it appears we need some more defense. Another option would be Robert Ayres, who btw, I freaking love.

20. Detroit Lions: William Beatty, OT, Connecticut
The Lions gave up over 50 sacks last year, there's no question they need OL. In fact, that was a part of the Stafford argument. Lucky for them, they have two 1st round picks. I see them going OT here. Beatty is a 1st rounder in my eyes.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: Larry English, DE/OLB, Northern Illinois
There's loads of talk of Moreno going here, and of Pettigrew. So far this has been the toughest pick because while I can see them going Moreno because of Westbrook's age, I feel like Philly is going to try and wait a round or two and go for Javon Ringer. As is, they need some help at left DE. Larry English can be replaced here by Robert Ayres or Michael Johnson if they go DE, kind of in the air.

22. Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
Minnesota hasn't had much of a receiving core in a while. Percy Harvin wont give them that great core, but he will definitely help out. Also, he gives them an even better return man.

23. New England Patriots: Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
This is namely because I have Rey Maualuga gone already. I see the Pats trying to replace Vabrel and getting someone who might replace Tedy Bruschi. Keep James Laurinaitis in mind as well here.

24. Atlanta Falcons: Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
Originally had Brandon Pettigrew, feeling like the only thing the Falcon's needed to put them over the edge on offense was a dominate TE. I was right, because yesterday they traded next year's 2nd round pick to the Cheifs for Tony Gonzalez. Now they can focus strictly on their defense. I almost went Robert Ayers here, then I thought as well abotu Vontae Davis, however Cushing is a solid OLB and with the recent loss of Keith Brooking, I would assume that LB is slightly more important than DB at this point.

25. Miami Dolphins: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
Opposite Will Allen, the Dolphins have nothing. Davis will dit nicely here, and will follow a Parecells type of pick. This one just makes sense.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
Not a shocker here. The Ravens need a WR and the best on the board are Heyward-Bey, Percy Harvin and Hakim Nicks at this point. I think Heyward-Bey fits here nicely as Derrick Mason finishes up his long, extensive, drawn out, carreer.

27. Indianapolis Colts: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
Goodbye Harrison, hello Britt. This one came down to Heyward-Bey being taken off of the board. This comes down to three things for me: 1, the two big DTs are taken; 2, Marvin Harrison is gone; 3, Heyward-Bey was selected by the Ravens in this mock.

28. Buffalo Bills: Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
I feel like the Bills are itching to pick an OL out of the first round. Namely because they just traded away their Pro Bowl LT to the Eagles for this pick! I almost had them selecting Andre Smith in with their 11th pick, but kept Aaron Maybin there. I feel like they're pretty serious about helping that DL out. Luckily for them, this draft is littered with very good lineman.

29. New York Giants: Hakim Nicks, WR, UNC
Burress was released today. Does this make sense or what? Pretty much the last 1st round reciever on the board and I have him falling a bit more than I would like him too. That's because I'm really high on Nicks. I could see him falling this far though. With that said, people have been talking about the Giants going RB since they lost Ward. Knoshown is still on the board and I can't believe he's fallen this far. Don't worry though, I promise he's gone in the 1st round.

30. Tennessee Titans: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
He stays right where he is! From Tennessee, to the Titans. I'm kind of shocked now that I'm looking this over that I have him falling all the way to number 30...

31. Arizona Cardinals: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
I told you he'd be in the first round! He was a surprise fall for me as well. I was picking as I went along and until now, Moreno just didn't fit well enough for me to pull the trigger. He does here! This team desperatly needs a back to produce and since, IMO, Moreno is the top RB this year, I think he's an absolute steal at 31.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: Alex Mack, C, Cal
Used to be Sean Smith but with today's (4/24/09) signing of CB Ratliff, I think they can focus now on OL. I would suspect the 2nd round pick to be leaning towards DL. Either way, I can't say enough about Mack. The most solid C on the board.

OMG, that's long, and I'm tired... Ok, it's your turn to give me feed-back!

Last edited by a moderator:

Coachnorm

Thanks, Khris, It takes chutzpah to put up your own personal mock. It will be interesting to see how many homers you will pizz off. :)

bobbeaux

pretty sound reasoning and solid choices . . . if Laurinaitis is available, i've got to think tenn will grab him . . . i'm not sold on Ayers and feel there's lots more players like him available in the 1st day . . . they have aging players all over the front seven except at the dt position, so your pick of a de is also a solid pick . . . ;)

Mike

Administrator
Can you imagine the grief the Bengals will take if they actually draft Raji? I hope it happens :)

Being a Lion "homer" I am one of those who would prefer the team going OT w/ #1 and although I am hoping Peria Jerry to drop to #20 if he is gone as in your mock...

The ILB's I would consider are also off the board. Any chance of Cushing making that move inside?

V. Davis would be my next DB but could he move to safety? Buchanon make the move? What about the failed drug test at the combine?

M Johnson would be a nice target at the pick at the top of the 2nd round BUT.... as your mock falls out I might now want that pick for Freeman.

Runnik's Hambones

I agree with you Cooley Cadets. I think that Detroit should probably go OL first. Then again, we've seen teams get burned both ways (drafting top QB and passing on top QB). It's tough to say.

I think Laurinaitis is a better MLB than Cushing would make.

Vontae Davis could probably move to safety, but there are better safeties in the draft than I think Davis would make.

I agree with you Cooley Cadets. I think that Detroit should probably go OL first. Then again, we've seen teams get burned both ways (drafting top QB and passing on top QB). It's tough to say.

I think Laurinaitis is a better MLB than Cushing would make.

Vontae Davis could probably move to safety, but there are better safeties in the draft than I think Davis would make.

Glad you pointed that out. Went back and confirmed but for some reason I thought Curry, Maualuga AND Laurinaitis were off the board. That being said I have no problem selecting him with the #20 pick.

V. Davis was the top DB still on the board for me - I wouldn't go with him because you are right there should be nice safety options later in the draft although those like Delmas... will not be around by the time their 3rd rounders come up.