The Rookie RB's Preseason Tracker

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
All stories are provided by rotoworld.com

Jamaal Williams rushed four times for 14 yards in the Packers' preseason opener.

As expected, the rookie worked with the second-team offense, taking over after Ty Montgomery left the game. He contributed a couple nice runs on the Packers' touchdown drive in the second quarter and looked good in his first NFL action. Williams looks locked into the No. 2 job at this point, and he could push Montgomery for first-team work.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Saints third-round RB Alvin Kamara rushed four times for 35 yards in Thursday’s preseason opener.

Kamara started the game with both Mark Ingram and Adrian Peterson sitting out the preseason opener. The Saints third-round selection shedded multiple tackles on runs of 12 and 22 yards while running behind a skeleton crew at offensive line versus the Browns’ defensive starters. He also started the game as the primary punt returner, but did not receive an opportunity for a return. Kamara seems destined to fill the pass catching role in the New Orleans offense filled by Travaris Cadet a year ago at best to start his career and still needs an injury to Ingram or Peterson to have significant fantasy relevance.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Leonard Fournette rushed nine times for 31 yards and a touchdown in Thursday's preseason opener.

Chris Ivory got the "start," but Fournette checked in on the Jaguars' second drive, reeling off four straight carries. Fournette ground out some tough yardage on third and fourth down. It was a no-frills debut for the No. 4 overall pick. Ivory isn't a threat to start Week 1.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Redskins fourth-round RB Samaje Perine rushed six times for 15 yards in Thursday night's preseason opener against the Ravens.

The stats don't really matter, as none of the Redskins' first- or second-teamers could get anything going, putting up zero points in the first half. But Perine's not going to be in the coaching staff's good graces after he fumbled on a second-down run in the second quarter, which Perine recovered, before then dropping a wide-open pass the very next play to force a punt. Fumbling has been an issue at training camp. Rob Kelley worked with the ones and remains top dog.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Dalvin Cook rushed five times for 13 yards and caught 4-of-4 targets for 30 yards in the Vikings' preseason opener.

With Latavius Murray and Jerick McKinnon idle, Cook operated as the Vikings’ every-down back with the first-team offense. Cook was employed as a true bellcow, staying in for pass-protection situations and staying on with the Case Keenum group, even after Sam Bradford rested. Cook is trending toward a true feature back in Minnesota and should be approached as an upside RB2 pick.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Broncos' De'Angelo Henderson: Breaks long TD run
7 hrs ago
Henderson rushed for 54 yards on seven carries -- including a 41-yard touchdown run -- during Thursday's preseason opener against Chicago.
At first glance, Henderson projects to have an uphill climb to solidifying himself as a potential fantasy asset. However, with Devontae Booker (wrist) on the PUP list, and Jamaal Charles' lengthy history of knee injuries, Henderson has the potential to carve out a change-of-pace role in the offense sooner than later. Thursday's long TD run certainly helped his case, and Henderson has already turned some heads in camp. His fantasy stock is on the rise.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
You left out what I though was one of the most promising debuts, Christian McCaffrey. He looked very comfortable running between the tackles.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I never could find a write up on the kid but knew he had played because I listened to the first quarter. I'll do a search and thanks Deacon.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Panthers' Christian McCaffrey: Looks good in exhibition debut
August 9, 2017 9:58 PM EDT | by RotoWire Staff

McCaffrey rushed seven times for 33 yards in Wednesday's preseason opener against the Texans.
McCaffrey was also the target of one unsuccessful passing play. Carolina's first-rounder played most of the first half and showed just why he's expected to play a large role in the team's offense. Not only did McCaffrey display his quickness on runs to the outside, but he also exhibited patience while hiding behind blockers between the tackles. Overall, it was a productive first outing for the rookie, who will be eager for more touches in the games to come.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I wasn't planning on tracking this guy since he appears to be 3rd on the draft chart but games like he had in week 1 force you to pay attenion.

Joe Williams rushed seven times for 60 yards in the 49ers' preseason opener.

Perhaps upset at playing behind undrafted rookie Matt Breida, Williams came out hot in his NFL debut, gaining 34 yards on dueling 17-yard runs on his first two handoffs. He added a couple more chunk gains later and had another 17-yard run called back on a penalty. Despite working behind Breida, the two backs split work fairly evenly the rest of the way, suggesting they are neck and neck on the depth chart. The duo should battle it out for the No. 3 job the rest of the way.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Kareem Hunt caught one pass for nine yards in the Chiefs' preseason opener.

He also rushed once for no gain. Hunt saw one snap with the first-team offense, but he was clearly behind Spencer Ware in the pecking order. On the bright side, he has already jumped Charcandrick West on the depth chart, and he has another month to close the gap on Ware. Hunt's eighth-round ADP is a little inflated, but he could return value if he continues to climb the depth chart.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Joe Mixon rushed six times for 31 yards and caught an 11-yard pass in the Bengals' preseason opener.

Jeremy Hill played first, but Mixon mixed in twice on the Bengals' opening drive and appears to be a part of the first-team offense, even if he's not yet the "starter." Mixon showed nifty feet and superb vision on his carries and turned a short checkdown in the flat into an 11-yard gain by breaking a pair of open-field tackles. The rookie also executed in blitz pickup. It's only a matter of time before Mixon takes over this backfield.

Rocket

Rock the Rocket
Christian McCaffrey: 7 carries for 33 yards

McCaffrey saw a first-down carry on Carolina’s second drive and followed his blocks efficiently for a gain of 12. It was his best run of the night. McCaffrey entered the game behind Jonathan Stewart, and the two appear headed for a near-even rotation to begin the season. As a committee back with uncertain scoring-position usage, there is a real chance McCaffrey is a "better reality than fantasy player as a first-year pro."

Other writers state, he's a young version of Darren Sproles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efactor

Coming at you
Christian McCaffrey: 7 carries for 33 yards

Other writers state, he's a young version of Darren Sproles.

That's just laziness to make a statement like that.

McCaffrey is 5 inches taller and 15-20 pounds heavier and comes in with a much higher draft pedigree. I realize that doesn't mean squat many times, but his potential is much greater than that of Sproles, who is too small to run inside, which is why he has never had a 100 carries in a season.

I think he is being over drafted, but he won't be exclusively a pass catcher like Sproles has been.

Rocket

Rock the Rocket
That's just laziness to make a statement like that.

McCaffrey is 5 inches taller and 15-20 pounds heavier and comes in with a much higher draft pedigree. I realize that doesn't mean squat many times, but his potential is much greater than that of Sproles, who is too small to run inside, which is why he has never had a 100 carries in a season.

I think he is being over drafted, but he won't be exclusively a pass catcher like Sproles has been.
Gotta take whatever's written down with a grain of salt.

When writers talk about Darren Sproles (5'6") or Theo Riddick (5'9") or Reggie Bush (6'0") being compared to Christian Mccaffrey (5'11") it has nothing to do with height or weight. All four guys are quick darters who catches the ball, run around tacklers, and/or juke to the outside if given a preference. All four guys will be the lightning to their teammates' thunder.

So, the argument goes, per the writer(s), would you draft Theo Riddick or any aforementioned guys in the 3-4th round? They are all the same. Inside the 5, the likelihood of all 4 guys getting the ball vs Cam running it in, or Stew, or high jumper Kelv Benj, most likely I'd take the latter.

And when we talk about height, Mark Ingram is only 5'9" compared to McCaffrey 5'11". I'd still take Ingram. But I need to remind myself that it's not height weight ratio, it's how much you can power thru the middle and run "over" people with both power and speed. Power alone is LenDale White. Speed alone is Reggie Bush.

Ingram has both; McCaffrey does not.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
All joking aside, I do see McCaffrey being more like Reggie Bush for N.O. He will be utilized as a runner and as a receiver, and will get chances at both. I also don't think I see McCaffrey being a heavy duty back, he needs to be more in space. So I do see him catching as many passes if not more than Bush or Sproles.

efactor

Coming at you
Gotta take whatever's written down with a grain of salt.

When writers talk about Darren Sproles (5'6") or Theo Riddick (5'9") or Reggie Bush (6'0") being compared to Christian Mccaffrey (5'11") it has nothing to do with height or weight. All four guys are quick darters who catches the ball, run around tacklers, and/or juke to the outside if given a preference. All four guys will be the lightning to their teammates' thunder.

So, the argument goes, per the writer(s), would you draft Theo Riddick or any aforementioned guys in the 3-4th round? They are all the same. Inside the 5, the likelihood of all 4 guys getting the ball vs Cam running it in, or Stew, or high jumper Kelv Benj, most likely I'd take the latter.

And when we talk about height, Mark Ingram is only 5'9" compared to McCaffrey 5'11". I'd still take Ingram. But I need to remind myself that it's not height weight ratio, it's how much you can power thru the middle and run "over" people with both power and speed. Power alone is LenDale White. Speed alone is Reggie Bush.

Ingram has both; McCaffrey does not.

The comparison was to Sproles, not Bush. Bush had 3 seasons of 200 plus carries, so if the writer had compared McCaffrey to Bush, I would have gotten that. Sproles has never topped 100 carries in part because he doesn't have the size to run inside. If you don't think a 15 percent increase in body weight makes a difference, you are mistaken. If it didn't matter, Sproles would have been a 200 carry guy because of his big play ability.

Rocket

Rock the Rocket
Where's the body weight increase?

Sproles 5'6", 200 lbs
McCaffrey 5'11", 205 lbs

15% where