The one draft pick you wish you could get back

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
For your team of course. The one draft pick you wish your team had a mulligan on.

I'll start with my opinion on Houston.

2002 1st overall pick David Carr. Imagine how things might have changed had Houston taken Julius Peppers at 1 and went with an older vet at QB. Granted, the 02 QB class sucked arse, but still.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Back in 2001... using a first round draft pick on Freddie Mitchell was a huge mistake.

Especially since Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson and Steve Smith were taken after that.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
1996 Round 2: Arizona, a team who ALWAYS has needs, uses its second round pick on Leeland McElroy, a RB who played like two years, and passed on such names who went later in the round as:

Tony Brakens
Lawyer Milloy
Mike Alstott

2001 Pick #3 Cleveland Browns select Gerard Warren.

Marcus Stroud, Casey Hampton, and Richard Seymour were some DTs selected later in the 1st Round. Oh yeah, a guy named Tomlinson also was bypassed in favor of "Big Money."

Back in 2001... using a first round draft pick on Freddie Mitchell was a huge mistake.

Especially since Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson and Steve Smith were taken after that.

Browns took Quincy Morgan after Wayne, but before Ocho Stinco and SS.
:shake:

1996 Round 1: St Louis selects Lawrence Phillips and passes on Eddie George.
Dallas trades their first round pick in 2004 for Julius Jones and passes on Jackson as the Bills select that dude with initials for a first name.

Steven Jackson behind a big dallas line? Come on! What's a Big O Line look like? I dunno, look at the Cowboys.

Mike

Administrator
Anthony Fasano or Bobby Carpenter. Two of many stupid picks by Bill Parcells.

Not knocking Fasano's skills, but it was a completely wasted pick for Dallas as there was no need, and he is no longer on the roster. Carpenter was just one of those nostalgia picks, or a favor, or something insane.

If both of those picks were spent on the offensive line, we could be looking at a much more successful run for Dallas.

Coachnorm

Back in 1997 The Dolphins first pick was WR Yatil Green. Great WR for The University of Miami back when that actually meant something. Expected to become an anchor at WR for years to come. Had a major injury just before the season started and was out for the year. Then next year another major injury just before the season starts and out for the year. By the thrid year he had no extra gear left.

dukdown

Banned
Well, probably the most famous of 49er miffs was the final draft that Bill Walsh was entrusted with, the 2000 draft, and his charge was to find the QB of the future for the franchise. Walsh had Chad Pennington all picked out, but Bill Parcells surprisingly used one of his 4 first round picks on Pennington, when he appeared set at QB with Vinnie Testeverde. This left the Niners, 5 picks away, scrambling. They went to plan B, taking Ahmed Plummer and Jason Webster with their next two picks, waiting until Round 3 to unveil the great Walsh annoitment - from Hofstra, Giovanni Carmazzi.

Of course, history shows, that a mere 3 rounds later, a player who attended High School in the shadow of Candlestick Park, would be selected with the first compensatory pick of the 6th round by the New England Patriots, and that player would go on to marry the hottest model on the planet, Giselle Bundchen.

DearbornDolfan

Back in 1997 The Dolphins first pick was WR Yatil Green. Great WR for The University of Miami back when that actually meant something. Expected to become an anchor at WR for years to come. Had a major injury just before the season started and was out for the year. Then next year another major injury just before the season starts and out for the year. By the thrid year he had no extra gear left.

Yeah, I loved the pick when we got him. I remember the big knock on him was he had a tendency to make unnecessary jumps, especially on screens.

However, that could've all been fixed in the '03 draft. Instead of going for Anquan Boldin, the Fins instead select Eddie Moore.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I would like a mulligan on Matt Millen's picks throughout the years. Of course there are some exceptions...Megatron

Bayton

Kenyata Walker, hes been the most frustrating to watch in recent memory.
Could have had Steve Huntchesin, Reggie Wayne, Matt Light and many many others.
Walker was the personal 15 yrd hands to the face and holding MACHINE!

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
1999 was the only first round whiff for Pittsburgh in the past 11 drafts. They had the 13th selection, and used it on a small glorified return man in WR Troy Edwards. The next 3 picks off the board were John Tait, Booger McFarland and the guy I wanted them to take badly, Jevon Kearse.
I guess I can take some consolation that Cade McNown went one pick earlier. This was also the infamous Tim Couch/Akili Smith draft, so the now AFC North wasn't exactly stellar with their high picks that year, although the Ravens hit a home run with Chris McAllister.