Texans first pick

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I just watched all the ESPN coverage. I am still worried he will get beat to death, as he is really small. Still, I love how he has progressed in this draft period alone.

Remote Controller

I sure hope they do. I'm not a Texan fan per se, but I do follow them and the broncos some. They will regret it if they go a different direction. just my opinion. I could see jax grabbing him and him making those two games really count.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Well it sounds like Johnny Football had an amazing Pro Day where he made all of the throws and even managed to play a tune on a tuba blowing farts out of his ass. No seriously from reports he managed to change a lot of minds and even Jaws now concedes that he's well worth drafting early.

efactor

Coming at you
It will be Clowney. Too good to pass up. Don't think any of the QBs in this class are special enough to take #1 overall.................

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I don't see a qb worthy of #1.....clowney and Sammy Watkins are the best talents in the draft.

That said, Johnny Football impressed me today. Forget the throws, just the progression he has shown, leadership in addressing the coaches up front and his willingness to throw in pads and helmet won me over some. I went from thinking he was a 2nd round prospect to thinking he may be worth a shot in rd 1....still will go too early for me, but I think all the QB's may.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Key to me is he did his whole pro day wearing helmet and pads, and he made every single throw, with zip. He just set a very high bar for all future Qbs, which I love. Also, he had folks with brooms causing to run out and throw on the run, very good plan.

Shows me he has learned, and is willing to do what is necessary to get things done.

Now, do I think any of these Qbs are worth the #1 no. However, I also think that a franchise like Houston, that has NO other Qb to use that has a shot, they have to roll the dice. Especially as they aren't paying the billion $$ up front.

Remote Controller

It seems to me, most of the the star athletes are coming out FOR Johnny. Guys like.........damn.....who's the factor back moron on ESPN??? They are agin.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
No way. He is a fraud.

Mike Evans and those wrs MADE Johnny fu*knuts.

Half the time he was running around and would throw up absolute CRAP balls. He was lucky to have the talent of Evans to catch that garbage.

Evans is the better pick out of college station.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
That would be diva wideouts Miller! lol! This guy hasn't pulled any diva Chad Johnson crap yet.
Lol, so you like a Diva QB, just not a Diva WR.....that make sense......

And many will claim the crap he did in College was very diva and "me first" heavy. Not saying the kid can't grow up, but he the red flags are there for good reason.

Remote Controller

He hasn't held out for a contract yet (first contract doesn't count unless extended hold out), or complained about lack of usage yet, or done any of the little diva bitching that CJ did. Not saying it won't happen, I just doubt it. This isn't apples to apples yet, and I just feel he is the best guy for that job.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Here is my thinking on this.

IF they decide to go Clowney, then they are giving up on this season. They won't get one of the top 3 by their pick in the 2nd round, might not even get Carr. So that leaves them some one like the kid for Eastern Ill. Garapolo(sp?) Who I actually like, but he won't be ready to start.

No, I think by trading away Schaub they have locked themselves in for either taking a Qb at 1, or trading down only a few spots. Problem is everyone is trying to trade down.

so its up to 3 Qbs. None of them are all that, all have their benefits and minuses. I happen to think in Texas, taking the Aggie Qb will sell tickets, and give the impression they are wanting to win now. With the new contracts, they are not selling out their team with the first pick anymore.

Plus, Obrien is already on record as saying they may take more than one Qb. So someone who has dropped to 4th or later may also be an option.

Of the three, I have seen 2 play. Have not seen Bortles in games, but have seen Mr. Football and Bridgewater. They say Bridgewater is more NFL ready , but I disagree. I happen to think he is a bust, and is smaller than folks think and will be more fragile. While Manziel is small, he is tough, and can avoid the big hits, and I think that helps him survive.

So I would roll the dice with Manziel