Sports Outlaw Draft Reviews - 2003

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Since I like talking draft, and we have JRSmith1 to lay the lumber to some of these picks, Id like to take some time reviewing a few drafts through the years. The next couple of days, and the first on the list, is the 2003 NFL Draft. I will provide the link to the draft list from that year, and offer my comments on a couple picks to get the ball rolling.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
2003nfldraft.gif

2003 NFL Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
What sticks out at me? Man Detroit cant win. Passed on Andre Johnson to take Charles Rogers, who last I heard was trying to work his way back into the CFL.

7 of the first 11 picks are ProBowlers. Dont see that too often.

Boy did Chicago blow that 22nd overall pick.

jmsmith1

So lets see, time to blast some of the picks!!!

Detroit took Charles Rogers as a means of generating fan interest in a hometown kid, from Saginaw, MI that went to State and then to Detroit. The character issues with this kid werent that hard to find and they knew what they were getting into when they took him. I dont feel sorry for them.

Some could say that the top of this draft should be Troy Polamalu, Andre Johnson, Willis McGahee, Carson Palmer, and Nnamdi Asomugha.

Chicago really jacked off their pick taking Rex Grossman. One could say that 7th rounder Ken Dorsey was as good!!!

Anquan Boldin, Osi Umenyiora, and Kawika Mitchell were solid second round choices, with the first two being first round talent.

My steals of the draft:

Tully Banta Cain, 7th round LB that is better than most selected ahead of him.
Josh Brown, 7th round kicker that has been pretty consistent (especially in my fantasy leagues!!)
David Tyree?, a 6th rounder that made the infamous Super Bowl catch!
Cato June, a 6th round LB that started for some time for the Colts!
Tony Pashos, a 5th round OT that has been a steadfast tackle
Mike Scifres, a 5th round punter that led the league in net punting in 07
Asante Samuel, a 4th round CB that is a stud and led the DBs on Pats Super Bowl teams
Derrick Dockery and Vince Manuawai, both 3rd round Gs that are long term G solutions in the NFL
Jason Witten and Lance Briggs, 3rd rounders?? REALLY?

Lance Briggs wins this....a great LB with All Pro potential in the third round??
Asante Samuel runs a close second.

Biggest Bust:

Charles Rogers, WR, Detroit, 1st rounder #2 overall

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
One of the few drafts in my lifetime that Pittsburgh traded out of their original 1st round pick position. They typically don't ever trade up or down. They swapped positions with K.C. to grab Polamalu, which made me mad at the time I was watching this because I wanted Mike Doss from OSU. They also picked up longtime starting CB Ike Taylor in the middle rounds.
Thank god Polamalu panned out because they whiffed on the few picks they had in '03.
I think Arizona had an ironic draft in that they had consecutive mid-1st round picks and neither player succeeded (with them), yet they stole Bolden in the next round.