SO Members Mock Draft Disscussion Thread

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I like Mel's knowledge of the actual players, but I'm not huge on how he applies them to team needs or how he rates them. McShay pretty much regurgitates what Mel says, except for a few instances where he's obviously just fishing for a reaction by disagreeing.

jmsmith1

I agree WesDawg.

I think he gets far too many man crushes and gets stubborn on teams that should select a certain kid. But he does have some pretty good critiques. What I like the most is while he doesnt nail down the team needs, he seems to have a good idea on what kind of draft strategies and tendencies teams have....such as going for BPA if a certain player is gone etc.

I like the Walter site, Profootball Weekly, and Scott Wright for alot of other stuff. I think to be rounded, you have to read alot about each player, sift through the repetitive stuff and find some meat. Once you do, I think it really comes down to personal opinion, but the NFL Draft Insider does a great job at deciphering team needs.

jmsmith1

Miami - I like the Asher Allen pick. You already got the Alphonso Smith selection to give you a starter and Allen adds nice depth. There is only one guy I really like ahead of Allen here, and he's kind of an unknown at this point unless you really get into this! LOL. Allen has return ability, grades to right about here, and is a solid pick.

Baltimore - I like Fili Moala here. With Ngata holding down the NT spot for the past few years, I think Baltimore would like a guy like Moala. First, he can play both inside and outside, so he could potentially rotate in at end, while providing depth at NT. He's quick with good hands, and durable. He grades out higher than you selected him too so its kind of a bargain. Nice pick.

New England - I LOVE the Pat White pick here and I read Belichick all over this. I can see White coming in playing slot receiver, QB draws or options as well as wildcats, Brady to White screen passes that White throws downfield (a la Antwan Randle El), and as a returner. I think this is a truly bonafide selection that the Pats would make and White is versatile enough to make it worth this selection even though I think he could potentially go as high as early to mid second round. Great pick.

Arctic Dawgs

Just to ask, not attacking, just curious, what 'experts' do you read? Which sites do you frequent for player evaluation and rankings? I know I like what Scott Wright at NFL Draft Countdown does.

Duk, I think that subject is worthy of a thread of its own. If you want to start one I will move the following replys over to it

bobbeaux

i'll be around off and on today . . . 2 picks before my pick now and i'm torn between a few positions and a few different players . . . heading to wally world soon, but will be back shortly . . . ;)

dukdown

Banned
Duk, I think that subject is worthy of a thread of its own. If you want to start one I will move the following replys over to it

No need to (unless you need the vbucks for starting a new thread ;))
Just was trying to figure out which sites I wanted to avoid for NFL draft info...

of course, that was a joke for those of you who subscribe to the theory that sarcasm doesn't come through on message boards.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well to continue on the topic....

I use multiple sources as well.

I love NFL draftcountdown.com! I also have a membership at Sportingnews for the War room. I use ESPN for McShay and Mel...but more for confirmation of my own and to get additional opinions...not as a real solid source. There are a few others...but those are the main ones I frequent. I also will hit the main sites like CBS and CNN/SI again just for additional stuff.

bobbeaux

Well to continue on the topic....

I use multiple sources as well.

I love NFL draftcountdown.com! I also have a membership at Sportingnews for the War room. I use ESPN for McShay and Mel...but more for confirmation of my own and to get additional opinions...not as a real solid source. There are a few others...but those are the main ones I frequent. I also will hit the main sites like CBS and CNN/SI again just for additional stuff.

nfldraftcountdown has been my main source for some time now . . . i also like cbs who pulled in nfldraftscout to takeover it's draft info . . . both have solid scouting positives, negatives and outlook sections . . . i go all over for team needs info as a lot of them are more opinionated than they should be . . . ;)

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Another Scott Wright fan here. I like the site and the info. cbs's draft page this year is pretty good as well. Kiper is a moron and McShay is ok.

bobbeaux

was looking at DT, DE, WR & OT with this pick . . . i think DL would be a luxury pick at this point since they've used higher picks in the past and have pretty good depth there . . . not thrilled with the WR selections available, but curious how ya'll think WR Ramses Barden would help this team . . . again, the titans have some younger guys that are getting healthy . . . with the loss of b/u OT Daniel Loper who was the main guy in the rotation at both tackle positions, this need had to be addressed here since this team is built around the running game and solid defense . . . ;)

bobbeaux

lots of really good linemen came off the board in round 3 . . . some position players too . . . looking forward to round 4 . . . ;)

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Very pleased that Sherrod Martin was available as a seamless replacement for Bryant McFadden. He can play either nickel corner or free safety in Pittsburgh's coverage schemes, with the potential to develop into a top-notch performer at either spot, depending on future team needs.
I'm personally not a huge fan of either of our starting CB's, so I'm hoping he can develop in that role.

bobbeaux

Chicago - Rashad Jennings is a great pickup, but more of the same as Matt Forte . . . was looking at this guy for houston in rnd 3, but decided the upgrade at de to go with the olb & ss in earlier rnds would be the better team move . . . there's a few more rb's that could fill houston's need for short yardage / change of pace behind slaton available in the next 15 picks.

Minnesota - Antoine Caldwell was another i was looking at for both houston & tennessee in the 3rd rnd . . . nice pickup here especially with birk moving on . . . ;)

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Sammie Lee Hill: He needs work, no doubt about it. Hill has immense raw ability, and will need good coaching at the next level, but a 6 foot 4 almost 330lb NT with speed is worth the 4th round flier. As many of us have stated before in many threads, good NT's are hard to find.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Chicago - Rashad Jennings is a great pickup, but more of the same as Matt Forte. . ;)

I dont see it that way. Forte strikes me as more of a between the tackles bull. Jennings has great hands and might very well end up being a more complete RB. Had his family not needed him and he stayed at Pitt, this guy likely would have been gone no later than the mid second round.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I dont see it that way. Forte strikes me as more of a between the tackles bull. Jennings has great hands and might very well end up being a more complete RB. Had his family not needed him and he stayed at Pitt, this guy likely would have been gone no later than the mid second round.

Makes me wonder what might've been with him and Flacco both staying at Pitt.

bobbeaux

i was seriously thinking about taking him with houston's 3rd, but saw a fairly large group of mid rounder and higher rb's coming up . . . he should be really good if he goes to a team with a solid line . . . ;)

jmsmith1

Atlanta - I really dont care for the Cody Brown selection that much. First, if you're looking OLB, there is another Big East OLB that is much more productive and has played all three positions. Not saying that Brown isnt a decent LB prospect, but I think you'd have gotten more value out of this other kid.

New York Giants - Chase Coffman! Are you kidding me? In the third round! There is no way this kid falls to the third round in the real draft. Plaxico who? With Robiskie and Coffman, to combine with Smith, Manningham, and Boss....Eli should be happy. I think this is a tremendous steal.

Indy - I think Donald Washington was a reach here. I think that there are at least four better CBs out there. No doubt he is talented, and I think he is moving up slightly on draft boards and is considered by some to be a diamond in the rough. I think that Indy has other needs and this just wasnt a good pick given the needs that the Colts have combined with the value of pick.

Carolina - Not a bad selection here at all. I was sure someone would take a flyer on Sen'Derrick Marks. The kid really is talented, but his work ethic and attitude might not let him realize his own potential. He's a second round talent that can play end as well, but will he realize the work he needs to do. A defensive minded coach like John Fox with alot of veteran leadership may be just what he needs. Nice grab.

Titans - I think Gerald Cadogan is one of those prospects that ranges all over and yet has the tools to be a long term fixture at LT or RT. He is very intelligent and very athletic, but raw. I think he has a great upside and with the varying report on his grade, he could be a huge steal. Decent pick.

Arizona - Canfield is a nice selection here. Some might argue that Arizona's inability to run the ball stems from their O line play. If so, they just upgraded it. I think Canfield is a second round talent. He's durable and nasty. He has to mature a little bit physically and emotionally as he has had some off field issues but could be a cornerstone at G if he puts it all together. Nice pick!
Pittsburgh - Hard to pick against Sherrod Martin. A safety prospect with cornerback speed, I'd imagine we'll see him on the field right away. He can come in and play safety, but also has the speed to cover at nickelback as well. He's a tough nosed kid but does have some durability concerns. He's older than most prospects and his maturity along with the fact that he will not need to be an every down player is a good thing for Pittsburgh. Good pick.

Rashad Jennings is a great pickup, but more of the same as Matt Forte

This is extremely inaccurate. Jennings is a stud. This is a kid that had he stayed at Pitt would've kept LeSean McCoy on the bench. A 231 pd kid that runs a 4.4. If Matt Forte is like Beanie Wells, then I guess its a good comparison, but Jennings is nearly a clone of wells. A good power back with great speed, exceptional hands, and good character. I love this kid.

Dallas - I love this pick. Hill is from a small school, but is big school talented. He is a pure talent at NT and ran a 5.1 at 329 pounds. Not too bad. He projects to this very spot and I think could come in, build up his strength and technique and he could be a long term rotational player and back up that keeps the top tier guys fresh. Good pick.