Should there be Ethics in coaching hires?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, I am a huge fan of Mike and Mike on ESPN radio. Listen to them religiously every morning on the way to work.

So, the big topic for them today was: Miami bringing in Harbaugh for talks.

Now, is this a big deal....well, considering the fact they HAVE a coach already...yeah I think so too.

That was the crux of the issue today....if Miami wants to hire someone new...shouldn't they fire the guy they have now first? Is it ethical to have your current coach sitting around waiting to see if they like someone better? This is a HUGE slap in Spurano's face if you ask me, and he can't win here at all. You are either gone...after a college coach replaces you...or you are lame duck, and lose all power in the locker room if you are kept since Harbaugh either wanted too much, or went elsewhere. This is a total crock...and I now see why the Tuna took off like he did....sheesh.

Vicious_Machine

I don't think it's right, but it's all about business. And business isn't always ethical.

Exactly! I mean, think of it if your in charge of the business! You have a manager in place now, but there is somebody else interested in the position. Would you not want to at least interview them to see how good they are? And rather, if your a GM/on the board, is it not your duty to do exactly that???

And if it such a slap for Spurano; why would he not walk away from the position totally? Maybe he does not like it, but he does not hate it enough to leave either.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The fact that he interviewed for the Miami job did not have to be brought to the publics attention. Huge sklap in the face if you ask me. FTR business is seldom ethical.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Remember during the Academic Decathalon in Billy Madison, Eric was asked about business ethics. That is the truth about people knowing and using ethics in business.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Exactly! I mean, think of it if your in charge of the business! You have a manager in place now, but there is somebody else interested in the position. Would you not want to at least interview them to see how good they are? And rather, if your a GM/on the board, is it not your duty to do exactly that???
What business EVER does this? You can't even interview canidates anymore with HR rules unless you have open posting so you don't show favoritism. No, this isn't anywhere close to that type of situation.

And if it such a slap for Spurano; why would he not walk away from the position totally? Maybe he does not like it, but he does not hate it enough to leave either.
Good question. Maybe he wants the job still? Maybe he wants to force teh GM's hands? Maybe he wants to not quit? Who knows dunno:

deuce4321

Driller
I dont see this as unethical. Multiple millions go into running an NFL franchise and you want to know what other HC have to offer. The HC is just another paid employee for the Dolphins. I wouldnt want to wait to have a vacancy to interview a potential employee in my office, this will make me desperate and i will lose negotiating power. If I already have someone in place i can evaluate the potential new hire and pros and cons compared to the person i am currently employing. The employee can decide to quit one day and leave me without a suitable replacement if i am not prepared for this.
Backups and PS players are constantly being evaluated for starting jobs. Is this also unethical?

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
There is nothing unethical about this. It is smart business and the right thing to do, unless you have to lie to your current employee and potentially wreck that relationship. If they are secret or straight up honest, I see no ethical issues. It's when they lie that it crosses the line into being unethical.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
What business EVER does this? You can't even interview canidates anymore with HR rules unless you have open posting so you don't show favoritism.

It happens all the time, unless it is government or union ruined private business.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
They would have to fire Sparano and fufill the rooney rule before they could hire Harbaugh anyways. Dont see anything wrong they have done so far to this point.

#1bears fan

I heard it too and didnt see it as a big deal. They bring in players to work out durring the season, at least this is after. If sporano dont like it he can quit and give his millions back, if they fire him to hire someone else he still gets his contract pay so who cares!!

Phicinfan

Administrator
It happens all the time, unless it is government or union ruined private business.

No, I disagree. Most businesses do not allow you to willy nilly fire people without cause, and interview replacements without notifying the current employee they are about to be replaced or have an action plan in place to improve that said employee. You leave yourself wide open to lawsuit there.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Well, well, well. Maybe ethics isn't the question. But I think Miami is screwed now. They didn't get Harbaugh, and they have decided to stay with Sporano. What a crock. No one will listen to this guy, as they will see him as a lame duck. This was a huge stupid mistake by Miami.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I won't say if its ethical or not. Good business or not. But its a business product of people, and not widgets, and people are harder to predict or control.

Say it is good business and Sparano has to suck it up and take it, can he? Really? And has his rule been undermined to the point of damaging the product on the field. It seems around the time we heard about Ross talking to other coaches, Ricky Williams and Brandon Marshall saw it as an open window to critisize the coaching staff... and now oops... coaching staff isn't going anywhere.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
The Rooney Rule is stupid. All a team has to do to get around it is pull in a minority dude off the street for a 5 min fluff interview.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
No, I disagree. Most businesses do not allow you to willy nilly fire people without cause, and interview replacements without notifying the current employee they are about to be replaced or have an action plan in place to improve that said employee. You leave yourself wide open to lawsuit there.

It happens all the time! I manage a business, and we do it a lot. The person replaced usually gets moved to another position that better matches their skill and competency level.