SF QB Alex Smith Reworks Rookie Contract

Coachnorm

Smith was able to rework the final two years of his contract and stay with the 49ers. According to a source, Smith will make $4 million a season in 2009 and 2010, in addition to base salaries that weren't immediately made known. In his previous contract, he was scheduled to make $24.6 million in the final two years.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Not a bad deal, a lot of cap relief for the Niners compared to cutting him as a cap casualty. Smith ends up getting good money for maybe being a clipboard holder. Smith also stays with a team that may give him his best shot at being a starter.

San Francisco 49ers, Alex Smith rework contract - ESPN

efactor

Coming at you
I think the fact that he is still only 24 years old played a big role in the Niners wanting to keep him around. At 4 million a year, they are willing to take the chance that he can develop into the type of QB they envisioned when they drafted him.........

While I was never for SF drafting him in the first place, he hasn't had an ideal situation to develop. A different OC EVERY year he has been there, nothing resembling even an average group of receivers (still an issue) and he has been hurt the last two years. He had a decent year in 2006 when Turner was there. He has a good arm and can move around. Plus, he's smart, so at age 24, I think he is worth keeping around to see if he can develop in a more stable situation............