Ray Rice -Dynasty Value ? How Long ?

Zombie Wolf

:headscratch: Just acquired Ray Rice in my dynasty league .... how long do you think it will take before he is the Man ? or does his fate remain to be stuck in the dreaded rbbc forever ??? I hope not ......? :headscratch: Zombie

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I think right now, he's a better overall RB than McGahee but won't be the man until he's gone. He'll probably always be a part of a platoon, but once Willis is gone, he should be the #1 option in that scenario.
He proved in college he can handle a heavy workload and be extremely productive, but will probably always be unfairly pigeonholed because of his size.

Runnik's Hambones

Ray Rice, IMO, will never put up "The Man" type of numbers consistently. I think he's a nice addition in a dynasty league and can be marked down as exceptionally solid #2 back when McGahee is completely out of the picture. Baltimore is the type of team that will likely have more than one option from here on out, seeing as that is becoming the norm in the league. Now that they have the 3 headed attack thing going, I don't see them letting up on that ever. They'll always select RBs in drafts and free agency in order to keep fresh legs on the field. Even when McGahee is done, I think Rice will be splitting carries with someone else.

Coachnorm

The Ravens have a very effective 3 headed RBBC Monster working. Each cog is effective when given the chance. In this situation there is no need to use any RB that is even slightly dinged up. Stubbed toe? Sit out another week as we will use the other two. Ray Rice will have his nice games and can be very useful in certain windows of the season. McGahee dinged up he may have a 3-4 game tear. If he gets dinged up he may disappear for a few weeks himself. You just have to watch the Ravens RBs injury status and use Rice accordingly. If your league allows you to flex in a 3rd back there could be sections of the season that he is very valuable to your team.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
With all that said, I think Rice and McLain have the potential to be an extremely effective 1-2 punch with McLain serving as the 3rd down/goal line back and Rice garnering 20-25 touches per game. That would allow Baltimore to switch the focus to upgrading the WR corps for their young franchise QB.

bobbeaux

i'm glad i didn't have to deal with that 3 headed monster last year . . . mcclain seemed to be the best fantasy wise . . . but, preseason and the 1st part of the season should give you the best idea of ray's value long term because he should be going against mcgahee for the between the 20's role . . . hopefully his attitude is right, but if he's starting or at least getting some action early, i believe he will be on the field more this season because i believe he is also the healthier back (or the least injury prone).

RLLD

I do not get the impression from the team that they consider Rice to be the sole answer to a need at RB, but instead more of a change of pace back, a bit player.

If he can stay healthy, I personally suspect he can change that attitude and arise as a tangible starter. The regime that allowed Priest Holmes to be misused and tossed to KC, and also Chester Taylor to move on no longer exists to mismanage and misinterpret talent.

With Billick out of the picture perhaps Rice has a chance to shine.