Qb race for 2018

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I have always wondered why more QBs don't do that since the way QBs are protected now, the risk of a career ending injury is less than in the past. 3 years, almost 90 million. Christ, even if he does suffer a career ending injury, his financial future is set. Now he can take advantage of the cap increases in 3 years.
Spot on, not saying hes not a good QB...but he's not a great QB and he is raking it in like one! Man, this kid has some very good advisers and a lot of fortitude to believe in himself.

efactor

Coming at you
I think Washington being Washington screwed up, they could have had him long term much cheaper years ago.

Obviously, but they didn't want to pay him and he turned down their lowball offer and turned it into top 3 QB money for a guy who wasn't a top 3 QB.

He bet on himself and won. Good for him.................

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Present QB Contracts: Stafford $26.5, Carr $25, Flacco $24.7, Luck $24.4, Wilson $23.8

FA projected QB ~ $$:
Cousins $29 ($28.8/yr Vikings, 3yrs)
Garoppolo $26 ($27.5/yr 49ers, 5yrs)
Brees $26 ($25/yr Saints, 2yrs)is the $50mil new $$ or total ?? - added - this may be only new money, as they said the cap hit was going to catch up to N.O. sooner or later
Keenum $15 $14.5 ?? Den - added - $20 million for ONE year
Bradford $13 $20 Ari - added - one year also I believe
Bridgewater $12 -added - TBD yet not agreed to by last report I saw
McCown $10 $10 Jets - added - again one year deal

Brees is tough to guess, it is an $18mil cap hit if they don't resign him or $6mil + whatever they sign for

There will prolly be a couple renegotiations this year. Will we see the 1st $30mil QB ??

Just updating what AD figured out!

Phicinfan

Administrator
Jets are finally making sense. I like both signings of Bridgewater and McCown. McCown will start and be the vet leader for both the rookie and Bridgewater.

Bridgewater is getting a year deal to prove he is healthy. If he is and is solid, Jets can re-sign him as a back up/ rookie protection....
Rookie drafted will be expected to be The Guy at some point...and can learn from a solid vet in McCown and not be rushed which is good cause Jets O-line is awful.

Not sure how i feel about Crowell signing he is a banger, so if they are run heavy that could help them.....but he needs holes made for him.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Free Agent Qbs and where they end up:
Kirk Cousins Qb Was - Will sign with Minnesota
Alex Smith Qb KC - Traded to Was. so not available
Jimmy Garoppolo Qb SF - signed 5 year deal
Drew Brees Qb N.O. - Re- signed with N.O.
Sam Bradford Qb Min - Will sign with Arizona
Teddy Bridgewater Qb Min - signs with Jets - 1 year
Kase Keenum Qb Min - Will sign with Denver - 1 year
A.J. McCarron Qb Cin - Wow - did he lose out......rumors are N.E. offered a deal...Buffalo maybe???
Josh McCown Qb NYJ - signs with Jets - 1 year - will start per reports
Mike Glennon Qb Chi - will sign with Arizona once he is released by Chicago

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay, most Qbs are off the board with FA going ,so lets review this one more time.....

AFC East:
New England - have Brady. Need Qb of future - but won't look early
Buffalo - ?!?!?!? - Peterman? Yikes - look for Buffalo to go big to move up in draft from 12 which they got in deal with Bengals
Miami Dolphins - Tannehill by reports Head Coach expects Tannehill to start next year. Still Tannehill.....
NY Jets - McCown is back on one year deal, sign Bridgewater on one year deal - look for early draft pick of Qb

AFC North:
Pittsburgh
- Big Ben is back
Baltimore - Flacco - but no depth. - Is it time to look to new?
Cincinnati - Have Dalton as starter - need to find back up
Cleveland - Made trade to get Tyrod Taylor - my gut says they still draft Qb early

AFC South:
Tennessee Titans
- Mariota is the real deal, and they keep adding parts to help him.
Jacksonville - Bortles is back, but wonder if they draft a Qb of future
Houston - Watson is the man, so no they are solid here.
Indianapolis - Luck returns they are set, if not they have Brissett. I don't see a draft move here.

AFC West:
Kansas City
- Mahomes is starter
Denver - One year deal for Case Keenum - need Qb of future Lynch doesn't seem to be it.
Oakland/Las Vegas - Carr is the man in Oakland they are solid.
Los Angeles Chargers - Rivers is the man, but he is getting old in the tooth. If they keep losing, I can see them drafting for the future and taking Rivers eventual replacement.

NFC East:
Philadelphia
- Wentz was a great trade up value , still have Foles for back up as well
Washington - A. Smith is the man now...
Dallas - Dak is Dak and he is solid. No need here.
NY Giants - Eli is here to stay for now, can't wait to see if they take a Qb at #2 or trade down to get much needed help.

NFC North:
Minnesota
- Bradford, Keenum and Bridgewater are all gone - but Cousins is the man here now
Green Bay - Rodgers is there, Hundley is there, and they traded to get Kizer to develop
Detroit - Just signed Stafford to an extension so no looky here.
Chicago - Just drafted Trubisky and he is starting now.

NFC South:
Carolina
- Got Cam they are fine
New Orleans - Brees re-signs with 2 year deal
Atlanta - Matty Ice makes this no issue
Tampa Bay - Winston is looking pretty good.

NFC West:
Los Angeles Rams
- Goff seems to finally be growing into the role.
Seattle - Wilson is set
Arizona - So they got Bradford on one year deal, will sign Glennon once he is released by Chicago..... They have to look long term don't they????
San Francisco - Garoppolo is signed sealed and delivered

Top 10 picks:
Cleveland - need Qb
NY Giants - need Qb?

Indianapolis - if Luck back - don't need
Cleveland - from Houston - Need Qb but should take at #1 unless they take Barkley
Denver - need Qb
NY Jets - need Qb

Tampa Bay - No need at Qb
Chicago - no need at Qb
San Fran - no need at Qb
Oakland - no need at Qb

Top Qbs in draft:
Darnold - USC - underclassman - declared for draft
Allen - Wyoming - underclassman - declared for draft
Rosen - UCLA - underclassman - declared for draft
Rudolph - Oklahoma St. - senior
Jackson - Louisville - underclassman - declared for draft

FA left - A.J. McCarron formerly of Cincinnati

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Vikings acquired QB Trevor Siemian and a 2018 seventh-round draft pick from the Broncos in exchange for a fifth-round pick in 2019.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay now final update until Draft

AFC East:
New England - have Brady. Need Qb of future - but won't look early
Buffalo - Signed A. J. McCarron and have Peterman who they like as well - this changes the game. Do they need to trade up for Qb? Or do they let the two young guys fight it out and see who develops? This makes it a bit more questionable
Miami Dolphins - Tannehill by reports Head Coach expects Tannehill to start next year. Still Tannehill.....
NY Jets - McCown is back on one year deal, sign Bridgewater on one year deal - look for early draft pick of Qb

AFC North:
Pittsburgh
- Big Ben is back
Baltimore - Flacco - but no depth. - Is it time to look to new?
Cincinnati - Have Dalton as starter - need to find back up
Cleveland - Made trade to get Tyrod Taylor - my gut says they still draft Qb early

AFC South:
Tennessee Titans
- Mariota is the real deal, and they keep adding parts to help him.
Jacksonville - Bortles is back, but wonder if they draft a Qb of future
Houston - Watson is the man, so no they are solid here.
Indianapolis - Luck returns they are set, if not they have Brissett. I don't see a draft move here.

AFC West:
Kansas City
- Mahomes is starter
Denver - One year deal for Case Keenum - need Qb of future Lynch doesn't seem to be it.
Oakland/Las Vegas - Carr is the man in Oakland they are solid.
Los Angeles Chargers - Rivers is the man, but he is getting old in the tooth. If they keep losing, I can see them drafting for the future and taking Rivers eventual replacement.

NFC East:
Philadelphia
- Wentz was a great trade up value , still have Foles for back up as well
Washington - A. Smith is the man now...
Dallas - Dak is Dak and he is solid. No need here.
NY Giants - Eli is here to stay for now, can't wait to see if they take a Qb at #2 or trade down to get much needed help.

NFC North:
Minnesota
- Bradford, Keenum and Bridgewater are all gone - but Cousins is the man here now
Green Bay - Rodgers is there, Hundley is there, and they traded to get Kizer to develop
Detroit - Just signed Stafford to an extension so no looky here.
Chicago - Just drafted Trubisky and he is starting now.

NFC South:
Carolina
- Got Cam they are fine
New Orleans - Brees re-signs with 2 year deal
Atlanta - Matty Ice makes this no issue
Tampa Bay - Winston is looking pretty good.

NFC West:
Los Angeles Rams
- Goff seems to finally be growing into the role.
Seattle - Wilson is set
Arizona - So they got Bradford on one year deal, will sign Glennon once he is released by Chicago..... They have to look long term don't they????
San Francisco - Garoppolo is signed sealed and delivered

Top 10 picks:
Cleveland - need Qb
NY Giants - need Qb?

Indianapolis - if Luck back - don't need
Cleveland - from Houston - Need Qb but should take at #1 unless they take Barkley
Denver - need Qb
NY Jets - need Qb

Tampa Bay - No need at Qb
Chicago - no need at Qb
San Fran - no need at Qb
Oakland - no need at Qb
at #12 - Buffalo - do they need one?

Top Qbs in draft:
Darnold - USC - underclassman - declared for draft
Allen - Wyoming - underclassman - declared for draft
Rosen - UCLA - underclassman - declared for draft
B. Mayfield - Oklahoma - senior
Rudolph - Oklahoma St. - senior
Jackson - Louisville - underclassman - declared for draft

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
So, new HC of Colts Reich says that his Stud Qb is throwing footballs now...

Stud Qb Andrew Luck has just said he is not throwing footballs yet.....

Is it time for colts to move away from Luck? Not sure on cap hit, I assume it would be big...but can you continue to carry a Qb that can't throw at that price?

Is Brissett the future here? Or do they instead take one of the Qbs in this draft??

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Actually he said that he is not throwing NFL sized footballs yet. Maybe he's use peewee sized I don't know because he did not clarify beyond that statement.

Phicinfan

Administrator
So they had a great interview today on ESPN Radio on the Golic and Wingo show with Herm Edwards. Herm talked about what he and his team(Jets) went through with Pennington and how it is the same injury. Recall Herm was one of the only ones saying this is at least a one year injury on ESPN when it was announced for Luck. He also stated that Pennington did come back to play, but it forced them to a WC offense for short quick passed due to loss in Pennington's arm. He also said he was never the same after the surgery.

Net, I think the Colts are screwed here.

Walter34

Looking at the draft, the biggest variables will be the teams trading up for a QB. Most of them have one now but many of the old guard are on their last legs

The possibilities are endless

11 Miami - not sure they are comfortable with tannehil. Average talent and production and coming off major injury
12 Buffalo - will draft a qb but maybe not round 1. They have been trading up for a reason though so my gut says they will trade up further to get a top 4 qb. They also have pick 22
15 Arizona - Bradford cant be the answer - at most a 1 year bridge.
16 Baltimore - Flacco has always been average except for that one playoff run. Definitely a need. He's 32 so not desperate need
17 Chargers - Rivers is great but also going on 37
23 Patriots - 2 first rounders for a potential move up. I don't see it as they will likely take a 3rd rounder again for an understudy
27 Saints - Brees likely with 2 years left. When do they address the future? Don't see a trade up for them as they are SB contenders now
28 Steelers - Not sure how long Ben can keep going

All of these teams could potentially trade up - great for some like NYG, Indy, TB, Chicago and SF who all could really benefit from a bounty of picks in return.