Pre-draft rumors

hikeNbike

Overall a good need pick for the Cowboys with Taco Charlton. Cowboys definitely needed a pass rusher but corner might have been the pick given who was on the board. Like the bills pick and also like Steelers pick a little bit more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Then with pick #32 the Saints take Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin?? What the hay? Brandin Cooks for this? I'm not knocking the guy but he's unlikely to help us this year. We need a defense you dam Bozos.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Did I miss something didn't the Bears pay a boat load of money to Mike Glennon?

I am several drinks in so I might be missing something. Either that or the Bears management has hit the bottle too before the draft.

yes, but the contract is basically set up to be a 1 year deal. he is a $13 million cap hit this year, but only $2.5 or so the next year after that. So they can cut him if needed, or keep him as back up if they like. He is what he is, a bridge for Trubisky.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I guess but I think they could have kept Barkley if that was the case on the cheap and kept the draft picks they gave up.

Because they really like Trubisky, and Barkley is not a franchise Qb.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Then with pick #32 the Saints take Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin?? What the hay? Brandin Cooks for this? I'm not knocking the guy but he's unlikely to help us this year. We need a defense you dam Bozos.
You needed the OL help, to keep Brees on his feet, and let Ingram and AP do the damage they need. Not as blingy as say Foster or so, but always build your lines....ALWAYS

Phicinfan

Administrator
I still don't understand why the other QBs went ahead of Watson. Kid is a winner. Period.
I won't deny Watson is a winner, and great under pressure of big game. But he isn't all that either. He throws picks for fun at times....and doesn't make the best decisions. I do think he could end up being a great Qb at some point. My concern is, he needs time to learn and adjust, and I am not sure Houston can keep him on bench, as Savage can't stay healthy.

I actually like Trubisky alot. I think given a year to learn the system and see how it works, he will be solid for them ongoing. Don't forget folks they lost their best Wr in FA, so they will need to add tools to the offense to help the future in Chicago.

But lets be clear, SF skunked the Bears. I don't believe they had any intention of going Qb. They were going defense, but they somehow convinced Chicago they wanted Trubisky, or were getting calls for it, and Chicago panicked and over paid.

hikeNbike

Because they really like Trubisky, and Barkley is not a franchise Qb.
My thinking wasn't so much Barkley or Trubisky, it was if you like Trubisky I think they should have kept Barkley as a one year starter/bridge and then there is no need to bring in Glennon. And I doubt that San Fran was taking Trubisky so no need to throw in a couple picks they need later. Just my initial reaction. Really who knows time will tell but fun to speculate.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
You needed the OL help, to keep Brees on his feet, and let Ingram and AP do the damage they need. Not as blingy as say Foster or so, but always build your lines....ALWAYS

Sorry PhiCin but the O-line is not an area of "need" for the Saints at this time. Edge rusher=yes, LB=yes, Saftey=yes. All areas of "great and pressing" need. Offensive line, nope. I'll hunt an article that may say it better but for now this is a busted pick if you are trying to win this season. Down the road it may be a great one but time is running out on this Saint's team.

Here's an article from SI about the Saints second pick of the first round. A round that "could have" made a huge difference is the leagues worst defense for stopping teams from scoring.
Ryan Ramczyk
An interesting conclusion to a wild night. This is the pick that the Saints acquired for trading Brandin Cooks to New England, but there weren’t many (any?) folks predicting they’d use it on a tackle. That’s not to say it is a nonsensical selection. Andrus Peat, the Saints’ 2015 first-rounder, has settled in at guard, and veteran Zach Strief turns 34 in September. So, the Saints got a jump on any potential future headaches by bringing in Ramczyk. The knock: It probably does not make New Orleans any better in 2017 unless Strief is headed out the door early. The defense could have used another body here.

Rotoworld.com

Saints selected Wisconsin OT Ryan Ramczyk with the No. 32 overall pick of the 2017 NFL draft.

Tackle is not a pressing need on the surface, but current RT Zach Strief will turn 34 in September while LT Terron Armstead has never played more than 14 games. Ramczyk (6’6/310) spent one season in Madison after transferring from UW-Stevens Point, starting all 14 games at left tackle and earning first-team All-America with just one sack and eight QB pressures allowed. PFF College gave Ramczyk its highest run-blocking grade among FBS tackles. Country strong and athletic, Ramczyk looks the part of a long-term left tackle with adequate arm length (33 ¾") and plus movement for his size. Ramczyk’s concerns are his one-year sample of high-level college football and recovery from January hip surgery, which prevented him from testing before the draft.

Foxsports.com

Grade: C+. Did the Saints need an offensive lineman? Not really, though you can never have too many and Ramczyk was too good to be at No. 32. A pass rusher would have been nice here, even with many of the top ones off the board.

Last edited:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I am not saying that building an offensive line is a bad thing, not by a long shot. It's made the Cowboys and the Raiders both very good offensive teams of late but the Saints are already a very good offensive team. One of the very best. We can score and score and score some more. What we can't do is stop somebody, anybody from scoring on us. The Buckeye CB is a massive upgrade but we desperately need an edge rusher and an upgrade at every single position on defense. I had great hopes that we'd use the two first rounder's to work on the area of greatest need. Alas, it didn't happen. Maybe the rest of the draft will focus on that area but I'm expecting us to take a flyer on a QB by round 3-4.

JScott

Administrator
But lets be clear, SF skunked the Bears. I don't believe they had any intention of going Qb. They were going defense, but they somehow convinced Chicago they wanted Trubisky, or were getting calls for it, and Chicago panicked and over paid.

They had no intention of going QB. They informed CHI that other teams were looking to trade in. And CHI had to overpay to be the trade partner. But SF made sure whoever was trading in was not taking their guy. So win-win for SF.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Probably laid up in some club looking out over the Pacific asleep with a smile on his face. :D I would consider doing that if it was my team.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
If the Packers don't trade down I look for them to grab a RB with today's first choice.

We haven't heard a word from Artic Dawg but expect that to change in a Big Way as the Seahawks have a whopping SIX choices today.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Sorry PhiCin but the O-line is not an area of "need" for the Saints at this time. Edge rusher=yes, LB=yes, Saftey=yes. All areas of "great and pressing" need. Offensive line, nope. I'll hunt an article that may say it better but for now this is a busted pick if you are trying to win this season. Down the road it may be a great one but time is running out on this Saint's team.

Here's an article from SI about the Saints second pick of the first round. A round that "could have" made a huge difference is the leagues worst defense for stopping teams from scoring.

Rotoworld.com

Foxsports.com
Report on PFT that the pick for NO was set to be Reuben Foster, and they had called him already to take him. San Fran moved up to take him, and called to say they were, and he said...no New Orleans was taking me. Lynch said nope, we got you.

So yes Mud if this is true NO was looking at Defense for the #32 pick