Pre-draft moves in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This right here is exactly why this is a good move. There's all these knocks on Tyrod, but when has he ever had the tools around him? Buffalo did nothing concerning adding passing weapons.

What has he had to work with? Shady...and nothing else. Sorry, but McCoy can't go play outside and moves the chains down the field.

You give him some playmakers like Landry and Gordon, with a potentially good run game to compliment, and he'll do work. I'd give him a 4 year deal in a heartbeat with the way the market sits. People trying to blow their brains out for these FA QBs and big extensions for their current QB. Tyrod comes on the cheap because apparently the league hasn't figured out that this kid can play.
Uh, what about Watkins? He had Watkins for 2 years and did nothing with him, was that all Watkins fault?

efactor

Coming at you
Richard Sherman signs with the 49ers for 3 years

A sign of the apocalypse.

Hard to think of rooting for public enemy #1, but I’m too old to change teams. I guess they are OK with the medical prognosis, so it should be a good pick up. Exactly what they were looking for in their scheme. Assuming they keep current picks, they will take a CB (or 2) in the 3rd round to develop. Contract is team friendly, so no issues there. I don’t like Trumaine Johnson and he was going to cost more for longer. It’s just so hard to picture Dick Sherman in the scarlet and gold.

Phicinfan

Administrator
It's not like Sammy is AJ. Let's not get carried away here.

Dude was always dinged up. Then he went elsewhere and failed to break out. Even with the Rams offense popping off last year, Sammy was junk.
To that point, same with Gordon in Cleveland.

I am willing to bet my next paycheck - Cleveland takes a Qb in first round, and T.Taylor is a stop gap, and won't be worth more than that. He is what he is, decent but not a game winner.

efactor

Coming at you
To that point, same with Gordon in Cleveland.

I am willing to bet my next paycheck - Cleveland takes a Qb in first round, and T.Taylor is a stop gap, and won't be worth more than that. He is what he is, decent but not a game winner.

I just don’t get Cleveland giving up pick 65 for a stop gap guy. Only way this makes sense is if they don’t take a QB at 1 or 4, but I don’t see that happening. The rookie will be starting by mid season.

I know the Browns have a ton of draft captital but his pick would be better spent using it in conjunction with their 3 2nd rounders to move back into the first round to grab premium players.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I just don’t get Cleveland giving up pick 65 for a stop gap guy. Only way this makes sense is if they don’t take a QB at 1 or 4, but I don’t see that happening. The rookie will be starting by mid season.

I know the Browns have a ton of draft captital but his pick would be better spent using it in conjunction with their 3 2nd rounders to move back into the first round to grab premium players.
To me, this opens the following:
1) they take Barkley at #1 for a real dynamic off threat to help free up Landry.
2) the Qb they are targeting they feel needs to be seasoned.....so not sure if that means Mayfield or Allen - but they don't want to rush the rookie. Taylor will be fine as a stop gap. They had enough picks to give up some for that stop gap and still get what they need. They also are still #2 in cap space to play in free agency.

Net this is Browns management saying we have to win more than 1 game in 2 years.

Walter34

I agree a QB is still likely @ #4 - they have been floundering at that position since Bernie Kosar. But, it does open up the possibility of getting 2 non qb impact players. Note that they just traded away apparent bust Danny Shelton to NE - they still have some big holes on defence to address, not to mention oline.

I expect many more Cleveland deals of picks \ players before all is said and done. Fun off season for them

Walter34

A sign of the apocalypse.

Hard to think of rooting for public enemy #1, but I’m too old to change teams. I guess they are OK with the medical prognosis, so it should be a good pick up. Exactly what they were looking for in their scheme. Assuming they keep current picks, they will take a CB (or 2) in the 3rd round to develop. Contract is team friendly, so no issues there. I don’t like Trumaine Johnson and he was going to cost more for longer. It’s just so hard to picture Dick Sherman in the scarlet and gold.

You should be happy. Sounds like a good deal for a player still with pro bowl ability. Your division rival is weakened and SF may get into the 2nd spot of the division with a good off season.

Sherman didn't seem to shop around at all. The Bears and many other teams need a CB, but he seemed to just sign right away without consideration for anyone else.

efactor

Coming at you
You should be happy.

It’s Dick Sherman. Probably the most detested opposing player in team history.

Football wise, great move if he is healthy. Cost and years are reasonable. Him and Witherspoon will make a formidable CB combo. It’s just that it’s Dick Sherman. :mad:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
It's a shame when a really good player just becomes to expensive for a team to keep. He should have a lot of teams looking to land him.

Arctic Dawgs

Just read on a Seahawks forum that they also released Shead and Lane. Don't know what is going on in the Emerald City

Phicinfan

Administrator
Just read on a Seahawks forum that they also released Shead and Lane. Don't know what is going on in the Emerald City
By count, I think they have cut like 5 or 6 defenders in the last few days. Looks like a total rebuild

Phicinfan

Administrator
news update...sorry folks been busy this weekend....
1) Falcons have tendered both G Ben Garland and S Ricardo Allen to 2nd round tenders - both are RFA
2) Vikings put 2nd round tender on Nick Eastman OL
3) Bucs extend Cameron Brate for 6 years roughly $40 million
4) Bucs also sign Cb Brent Grimes for one year $10 million
5) Oakland is signing Wr Griff Whalen
6) Chargers have tendered Tyrell Williams Wr to a 2nd round level as well
7) Orlando Scandrick Cb has asked for his release from Dallas
8) Miami has cut N.Suh as well as LB Lawrence Timmons
9) William Gay DB has been released by Pittsburgh
10) Chiefs cut Tamba Hali - most saw this coming.....
11) Packers supposedly on the hunt for Jimmy Graham and somewhat surprisingly Allen Robinson
12) Per multiple reports San Fran, Green bay, Chicago, and Browns
13) OL Zach Strief N.O. has announced his retirement
14) Raiders have tendered K Tavecchio as an exclusive rights FA
15) Broncos are willing to listen to trade offers for C.J. Anderson
16) Ravens cut DB Lardarius Webb
17) Chiefs cut S Ron Parker
18) Raiders release Sean Smith DB - and on a side note, he is going to jail for one year after pleading guilty for assault
19) Seattle extends S Bradley McDougald for 3 years- He is the LONE survivor so far....
20) Bears resign Bradley Sowell OL for 2 years
21) Redskins resigned PK Dustin Hopkins
22) Chargers extend DB Casey Hayward
23) Eric Winston OT Cin has been re-elected President of the NLFPA
24) Giants cut DB Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie

Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.