Post draft FA moves and team moves

KillerFins

Staff member
Not necessarily. Stewart will be the lead runner, McCaffrey will be change of pace and pass receptions. You could be okay there.

I think this will be the case at the start, but I don't think the Panthers spent the 8th overall pick for a change of pace back. Gettleman has stated numerous times that McCaffery is a three down back and has the ability to run inside, as well as carry the load. If McCaffery is the talent that they think he I'd predict McCaffery getting the bulk of the work sooner than later.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Barring injury I must agree with Killer. I sure hope we're wrong Killer.:) This is one time I'm pulling hard for Phicin to be spot on.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I think this will be the case at the start, but I don't think the Panthers spent the 8th overall pick for a change of pace back. Gettleman has stated numerous times that McCaffery is a three down back and has the ability to run inside, as well as carry the load. If McCaffery is the talent that they think he I'd predict McCaffery getting the bulk of the work sooner than later.
Except that Carolina is very loyal to its vets. Look how long it took D.Williams to take over, then Stewart. I don't see McCaffrey being all that this year.

KillerFins

Staff member
Look at the impact Kelvin Benjamin had as a rookie.

Here is an article about the conversation within the Panther's War room during round 1.

The McCaffrey evaluations, however, are glowing.

“He’s a great football player. Has Luke Kuechly’s DNA. Just an overall great fit,” Beane says.

“He’s a touchdown waiting to happen,” says Skipper, the soft-spoken, longtime running backs coach.

“Off-the-charts instincts,” says Shula, who is entering his fifth season coordinating the offense. “So many ways we can use him, so many things he can do. A lot of production and points.”

Says Rivera: “He’s perfect for our offense.”

“You’re going to make us better right away,” Shula says. “We know how you work. We know what the game means to you. We’re going to score a bunch of touchdowns now, right?

“You and Cam are going to be a great combination.”

And yes, Every team loves their drafts and picks during the draft. But this wasn't quote from a press conference afterwards, it was during the draft behind closed doors.

I'm not saying he is going to be David Johnson or Le'veon Bell from the start, but everything I've seen and heard is that they view him as a 3-down back, capable of doing everything. I'm not saying there won't be a role for Stewart, but he was mediocre last year with no competition, is on the wrong side of 30.

Stewart was RB32 last year with no competition. In his 9 seasons he has only broke 1,000 yards once. He scored 9 TDs last year, his average over his career is 5. I just wouldn't want any part of Stewart this year.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Look at the impact Kelvin Benjamin had as a rookie.

Here is an article about the conversation within the Panther's War room during round 1.

The McCaffrey evaluations, however, are glowing.

“He’s a great football player. Has Luke Kuechly’s DNA. Just an overall great fit,” Beane says.

“He’s a touchdown waiting to happen,” says Skipper, the soft-spoken, longtime running backs coach.

“Off-the-charts instincts,” says Shula, who is entering his fifth season coordinating the offense. “So many ways we can use him, so many things he can do. A lot of production and points.”

Says Rivera: “He’s perfect for our offense.”

“You’re going to make us better right away,” Shula says. “We know how you work. We know what the game means to you. We’re going to score a bunch of touchdowns now, right?

“You and Cam are going to be a great combination.”

And yes, Every team loves their drafts and picks during the draft. But this wasn't quote from a press conference afterwards, it was during the draft behind closed doors.

I'm not saying he is going to be David Johnson or Le'veon Bell from the start, but everything I've seen and heard is that they view him as a 3-down back, capable of doing everything. I'm not saying there won't be a role for Stewart, but he was mediocre last year with no competition, is on the wrong side of 30.

Stewart was RB32 last year with no competition. In his 9 seasons he has only broke 1,000 yards once. He scored 9 TDs last year, his average over his career is 5. I just wouldn't want any part of Stewart this year.
Well, I prefer to look at reality, not hyperbole. Hey that rhymes! :)

Reality is they want to RUN the ball, and I don't care if the DO think he is an everydown back, he isn't. And to be honest, that is not a knock on him, he will do more than Sproles or Bush with the right system. And that is my issue...he isn't in the right system. Carolina doesn't throw to the backs, and Cam sucks at dump offs. So unless they revamp the offense, and Cam becomes a much better Qb, oh...and the OL gets better. McCaffrey will be more help in the slot as a wr than as a rb.

We can agree to disagree, and they may try to force fit McCaffrey....but it is a bad match to me.

hikeNbike

I kind of feel bad for the guy. Yeah I didn't support what he did, as I think it was disrespectful to the armed forces, but on the other hand not standing for the National Anthem is not as serious an offense as assault or some of the crimes others who are on a team did. Guessing the moral here is if your going to do something that is unpopular you better produce in the field.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KillerFins

Staff member
I don't really care if he stands or sits. I think it was a silly way to make a point, as many will see it as a slap in the face and don't care why he is doing it. It's his right to do it, but it's also the right of each NFL owner to not want him on their team either because they don't like his politics or because they don't want the distraction. I'm not sure if that is the reason why he doesn't have a team yet, but if it is I have no problem with it.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Detroit signed RB Matt Asiata. A battle between he and Zach Zenner is expected for a roster spot. I like Zach's chances myself.