Phicinfan's Mock draft for 2017

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I am no expert, but I do like to think I have a good feel of what rumors are flying, and what could happen. Then again, I am on vacation and bored...so lets have some fun ;)

I will say this, I don't see any trades up. Not in the first few picks. Why? The Qbs don't warrent it. That being said, I think once the first Qb goes off the board.....all heck could break loose.

1) Cleveland - Need Qb, but you can't force this. Other need is on defensive side of the ball - Myles Garrett De Texas A&M

2) San Francisco - need Qb, Cb, OLB, ILB - Lb are huge need, Qb is long term need...but value is not there. I can see a trade down, but no one wants to move up this high. So I will go with best talent at best fit - DL Soloman Thomas Stanford

3) Chicago - Key needs S, Qb, DE(3-4), Wr, Cb - Top safety is sitting there staring at them - Jamal Adams S LSU

4) Jacksonville - OL, DL, TE and Rb are key needs - the OL value is simply not there. So you have to address the DL - and they will greatly thank San Fran for taking Thomas as they steal Jonathan Allen DT Alabama

5) Tennessee - Here is where I think things get really, really interesting. Tennesee is more than willing to deal down, and take extra picks. They had a great draft last year, and want to continue to build that momentum. You have the Jets below, the first really QB needy team sitting there. Needs are Wr, Cb, ILB, OL - If they deal down, I can see Cleveland packaging 1.12 and some picks to move up, to get Trubisky. If they keep the pick to me the best player is Reuben Foster ILB Alabama

6) New York Jets - needs Qb, S, Center, Te - I don't see Jets going Qb, yes they need one, but the value is not there. I do see a team in desperate need to fix the defense - Malik Hooker S THE Ohio State

7) Los Angeles Chargers - needs OL, S, DT, Cb, Wr - Qb is a real, real tempting. They have to start thinking of what happens once Rivers gets done. But the best Wr is sitting there as well. Decisions, decisions. I for one go for talent and need more. So Mike Williams Wr Clemson.

8) Carolina Panthers - needs OT, Wr, Rb, De, S - If Mike Williams is there , this would be a great fit. But to me, the best option is ....Leonard Fournette Rb LSU - they want to run, and take the pressure off of Superman...and you don't have OT value here.

9) Cincinnati Bengals - needs OL, DE, Rb, ILB and Wr - They lost OT and G in FA. While they have made some fixes, they still have major need. Top rated OT though is barely a first round talent. Rb here would be very, very interesting, as Hill is running out of time and they lost depth. But this is a very deep Rb class. I am going to go maverick here and take DE Derek Barnett Tennessee. They want more pressure to protect the defense and this kid is just what the Dr ordered.

10) Buffalo Bills - needs CB, Wr, OLB, DE - again if Mike Williams were there, take him. But to me the real very very real need is Cb and top Cb is still on the board - Marshon Lattimore Cb THE Ohio State.

11) New Orleans - needs CB, OLB, Rb, S, ILB - Another Qb needy team, Brees on last year of extension he signed, and they have no real replacement. But you have to fix that awful, awful defense. Have to go in my mind best value here - Cb - Kevin King Washington

12) Cleveland - Yep, they are doing the whoop de doo, happy dance in Cleveland right now. They will take their future Qb...again...at this spot and start the Qb run - Mitch Trubisky Qb North Carolina.

13) Arizona - to me, this is a must. I know most feel it is too early, but Palmer is already talking retirement, and there is no depth here. You HAVE to go Qb. Deshaun Watson Qb Clemson.

14) Philadelphia - lots of needs here Cb, Rb, OT, Wr(although not as dire), De - to me this is a decision on whether to go rb or Cb. There is alot of depth in this draft for both. But they lost two starting Cbs in FA, and the need there is much higher to me. So the pick will be Gareon Conley Cb THE Ohio State.

15) Indianapolis - ROT, 3-4 OLB, Cb, ROG, Rb - The offense needs help. They need a young Rb to take over for Gore. And take pressure off of Luck. Two top Rbs are there, but of the two I prefer Cook, as he is more a solid runner than McCaffrey. So the pick here is Dalvin Cook Rb Florida State.

16) Baltimore - needs OT, Wr, DT, CB, OLB - To me the real need is Wr here. Not sure Rb is not another key need, but they have folks there. Wr is really hurting, so I won't go for speed, but for talent instead. Pick here is Corey Davis Wr Western Michigan.

17) Washington - needs DL, Rb, ILB, OC/OG, OT - This, this right here is why I hate to do these. I want to think in a Fantasy thought pattern rather than an NFL pattern. They lost alot of talent at wr in FA, with Desean Jackson and Pierre Garcon leaving. And the fastest Wr is just sitting there. He would be a great pick up for this team, to replace Jackson. But actually they are not bad at wr, with Crowder still there, the two Tes and last year's first round pick. To me this comes down to one of three choices. Either you go Wr for speed and take John Ross, or you go Rb and get some help in passing game there with McCaffrey or, you address a not so great defense and go Reddick the ILB from Temple. All really, really good choices. But, since this is Washington.....And they always go for flash rather than substance I am going to go wr. Choice is John Ross Wr Washington.

18) Tennessee - needs are Wr, Cb, ILB, OL with Williams, Ross and Davis off the board, Wr is not a really good option here. So time to address a need and more work on the defense with Cb. Choice is Marlon Humphrey Cb Alabama.

19) Tampa Bay - Lb, Rb, TE, DT and Cb are the needs - but they will stop the drop of McCaffrey here, and not wait on suspended rb they have starting. The pick here is Christian McCaffrey rb Standford.

20) Denver - OT, DE(3-4), TE, Wr(slot), ILB - Going for help for the young Qbs here. Rbs are off the board and so are the young Wrs, but Denver really doesn't need those. No what they need is a big Te for either young Qb to look for. Going O.J. Howard Te Alabama.

21) Detroit - needs DE, 4-3OLB, CB, TE, Rb - well top 3 rbs are off the board. Going to go Defense here and give them T.J. Watt OLB Wisconsin to give them some much needed help on the outside.

22) Miami - OLB, OG, Cb, S, DT - Need to fix Defense badly - Jarred Davis Lb Florida

23) New York Giants - OT, Rb, OLB, DT, Te are the needs - Garrett Bolles OT Utah - they have need at both OTs and they have to protect Eli and the Rbs here.

24) Oakland - needs ILB, DT, RB, CB, OG/OT - don't think Rb is an option here as they hunt for Marshawn Lynch, so I will instead give them an ILB that will help them stop the run with Haason Reddick ILB Temple.

25) Houston - needs are Qb, ROT, OLB, OG, ILB - Going to really fight my instincts here. Qb is a dire, dire need. But I am NOT a Kizer fan and I don't think Mahomes rates this high a pick. So lets go OL here where we can fix the OL and get some support for the team - Cam Robinson OT Alabama.

26) Seattle - needs are OT, Cb, DT, S, Wr - OT is a dire , dire need so lets get them one - Ryan Ramczyk OT Wisconsin.

27) Kansas City - needs are Rb, DL and ILB for 3-4 def, Cb and Qb - I think talent wins over backround and I think KC rolls the dice and takes Joe Mixon Rb Oklahoma - yes he has issues but he could be the best back in this draft and KC needs more dependable running help now that they have moved on from Charles.

28) Dallas - Cb, S, DE, Te, and OLB - so I am going for help at De in Takkarist McKinley DE UCLA

29) Green Bay - needs Cb, Rb, 3-4 OLB and ILB, OG - Rb is pretty picked over, so instead will go OLB/De talent with Charles Harris Missouri

30) Pittsburgh - OLB, Te, ILB, Cb, Wr - OLB Tyus Bowser Houston - this is a bit of a stretch, but he is exactly what Pittsburgh can use, maybe a trade down for a Qb hungry team.

31) Atlanta - DE, OG, Wr, OLB, Cb - lets go with the best DE still on the board, as their defense was not all that good and offense covered a multitude of sins - Taco Charlton De Michigan

32) New Orleans - needs CB, OLB, Rb, S, ILB - well, well, well. here is New Orleans sitting here and alot of Qb talent is there. I can see a trade here for a team that wanted a Qb to fall. but I think New Orleans pulls the trigger here and gets - Patrick Mahomes Qb Texas Tech - he has a cannon, and is the kind of Qb that this team will embrace post Brees.

Well there you have it. I feel pretty good about most, but didn't account for any trades. To me the key will be if Jets or Cardinals or other teams reach for a Qb too early or not.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Report says Reuben Foster failed a predraft drug test.
Per reports, it states he was ill, and was over hydrating to get over it, so the sample was diluted. It still counts as a failed test for NFL, so he will be IN the program starting out.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Will let this set a bit, then may try one where I do some wheeling and dealing. The more I hear, the more folks ARE expecting some trades early in first round.

hikeNbike

I know Cowboys need Defense but I'm hoping O.J. Howard drops and Cowboys are able to grab the TE in round 1, than load up on D the rest of the way. Probably a long shot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

hikeNbike

Good job in the mock. If it's DE is McKinley better than Charlton? I didn't see much of UCLA.

efactor

Coming at you
Thomas is the vogue pick for SF, but I don't see it. A lot of talk about him as an edge rusher, but he isn't.

In a perfect world, a trade down would happen, but unless the Browns offer a haul, it probably won't happen. Besides, I think they keep the pick until after the draft just in case the Browns actually do take Trubisky and Garrett falls into their lap. Definitely don't rule out a trade with the Browns as I think they genuinely like Trubisky and no way in hell he falls to 12. Only hang up on the guy seems to be 1 year as a starter, but everything else is there from what I read, so I wouldn't be shocked if the Browns make a move to assure they get both Garrett and Trubisky.

If SF stays put, I think Allen is still in play assuming they are OK with his physicals, along with Lattimore, although I wouldn't rule out Trubisky (I thought no way until recently). Depends on how they feel about their chances of landing Cousins next year. Easy to say, take a QB in the later rounds and develop him, but if they think Trubisky truly has the stuff to be a top line QB, grab him.

Phicinfan

Administrator
By all reports, Qb is safe until Jets pick probably. I don't see SF taking Qb that early. I could be wrong. If so, then Cle can trade up for much less to get Qb with Jets.

That being said, I do think if push comes to shove, some of these Qb hungry teams may offer a boat load to NE for Garopolo and NE would love to get a 1st round pick to get back in.

Plus NE still wants to deal the Cb, so that might gain them a pick or two as well.

hikeNbike

Now Peppers has a diluted sample failure from the Combine as well.
Can someone explain a diluted sample? Does that mean there are trace amounts of drugs but not enough to constitute a normal failed test?

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
So they tested positive for water?

It's seen as an attempt to purge the system of a banned substance by over hydration and diluting the urine to the point of being more water than bodily waste making any banned substance undetectable. Its a common tactic.

See it all the time with parole and probation criminals.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Hereing rumors that Dalvin Cook is dropping like a rock due to his shoulder issue and his "posse" he runs with. Pure supposition by ESPN, but their experts are saying he will drop out of first round at least.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Uh oh, Gareon Conley Cb Ohio State is the un-named NFL first round draft pick accused of sexual assault in Cleveland. He denies it, and two friends and witnesses corroborate him, but he will still drop like a rock if this doesn't get resolved by draft time.

hikeNbike

Stoked for the draft on Thursday. Another home run on picks for America's team? Trying to decide if they outsmarted everyone last year with Elliott and Dak or just got lucky. They haven't exactly got a great track record but seemed to figure it out last year and have done a good job with the oline. Now if they can actually draft some defensive contributors they will be set up for a long period of excellence maybe even a dynasty.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk