NFL Season to be Extended.

RLLD

I like the notion of perhaps eliminating some of the preseason games to now make them regular season, and meaningful. I think you only need two preseason games anyway.

But now we have to add more asterisks next to all the "season" records....

And I must wonder how the extra "full-speed-regular" games are going to shorten careers?

Won't the players expect to get a bump in their share of the revenues?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
The last two years....the NFL set a record for most different Qb starts due to injury and other. Add two more games...and you had better expand the rosters. I know most will say they aren't added...as they had them as Pre-season. But most vets don't play both the last two pre-season games....in fact they barely play in any but one.

Mike

Administrator
This was pretty much a given last year.

This gives the league less time to evaluate new players in game situations, and more time for the players on the roster to get hurt. Bodies start breaking down during the middle of the season, I can just imagine we will see an increase in injuries down the stretch now.

I wish the XFL would have waited until now to start their league. It would have been almost guaranteed to succeed.

Zombie Wolf

I am all for reducing the amount of pre-season games . I would think 2 games would be sufficient . Also extending the regular season is fine with me ! ,, also since I hate it when football season ends and I enter the void lol ! . I don't think adding one or two more games will create alot more injuries , maybe a chance just like any other game .
I personally have always thought the Super Bowl should be earned with a 2 games out of three format ! even if it takes three weekends . After all do we really know who the best team is after one final game ?? Any great team can have a bad day , and lose it all because of this .... Lets add games by doing something like this !!!!! Go Lions !!! lol ................ Zombie

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
I like it a lot, this was constantly being talk about even when Tagliabue was in offie, but in never happened. He wanted to make the season 18 games, no byes and shorten the season. I think Goodell is keeping the byes. I don't like the 17 game scenario. That odd extra game is lame. Make it 18, if possible, no byes.

Expand the rosters to allow for more people to play less and share playing time to reduce injury. Guys are already being pushed to play as many downs, most teams are smart and changing the way they play and switching it up so that their players a fresh.

On a fan note and as a League Commissioner of a fantasy league, no byes would be great because than the league could expand and you don't need to have as many backups for bye weeks. Instead of maxing out at 16 teams (so you have two guaranteed starters each week), you could expand to 20 with you starting QB playing each game unless he got hurt or sucked ass. I would like this because I have such a huge waiting list for people wanting to get in the GFL.

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
I wish the XFL would have waited until now to start their league. It would have been almost guaranteed to succeed.

I really liked the XFL. I liked the concept of controlled salaries. All players had a maxiumum salary, and each week they could play to win more with the win bonus after each game. Even if you were let's say 0-7, players would be inticed into at least trying for the last game not just to finish 0-8, but to break it for more money. I think it was like and extra $5000 in your pocket per win.

I also liked the run for the ball concept instead of a coin flip. That was awesome.

I just don't like how they tried to make it like a spectacle with the half-time antics like, let pretend we're going in the cheerleaders locker room. However, that's better than watching a bunch of analysts, like Terry, Howie and Jimmy talk football.

I liked how the player can talk to the fans after the game. I remember watching a game and they were all booing their hometown QB. He said in response, yeah keeping booing, that's right...I'll be back and show all of you! I was friggin laughing my ass off. Telling it like it is, instead of all this traditional scripted crap that is politically correct. Boo the fans back...LOL