News - Post start of camps

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Time to move to an updated thread - since alot of teams are either starting or soon will start camps.

Here is one some may not be shocked about - There may be an issue with Josh Gordon in Cle.

First he posts he will miss start of camp for some personal time to get more counciling and preventative help.
Then when NFL is asked, they state they will take action at the appropriate time....
Then Schefter of ESPN.com states he has not failed any tests or had any slip ups per "sources"

Sorry, I simply don't buy it. If there is smoke there is fire. Per PFT and I agree - if there were not failed tests or issues the NFL's response should have been - "why are you asking us about a player that has been reinstated and has no issues?"

I think something is about to be released in Cleveland having to do with Gordon.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Plan is for LeSean McCoy to be in camp on time...and so far no further updates on that weird story out of Georgia...
Odell Beckham also plans to report to camp on time
David Johnson has reported to camp as well
Browns have officially moved Josh Gordon to the non-football illness list - here it comes folks.....
Dante Fowler Jax DE will start on Pup list, as well OT Jack Conklin of Tenn.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld.com

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Josh Gordon "did not have any slip ups or failed tests."

Schefter reports Gordon's absence is "a pro-active, defensive gesture to get extra counseling to try to ensure he does not have any of the setbacks that have marked his past," exactly the situation Gordon described in a statement Monday morning. While the NFL ominously said they will "address" the situation, it sounds like Gordon is telling the truth. In his statement, Gordon said he has "every intention of being ready and available to join my teammates soon."
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Walter34

I agree, sounds like BS on the eve of training camp. Forget football, hope that guy can get his life together.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Patriots shopping Malcolm Mitchell, which is no surprise. Hopefully he lands somewhere where he has a chance for playing time.

Dude needs to get healthy enough to play and then he'll be fine. I am wondering if he ever will get healthy though.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Dude needs to get healthy enough to play and then he'll be fine. I am wondering if he ever will get healthy though.
Per that, I have seen reports he had to have another procedure on his bad knee, so he will probably be PUPed for start of season.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I agree, sounds like BS on the eve of training camp. Forget football, hope that guy can get his life together.
I have two concerns...
First - is he had some issue - maybe not back to drugs but something
Second - he went to pre-camp - and the pressure or pain or stress from football has him getting those "feelings" again, and he needs to step away and get past it. Issue there is what happens when season starts and the pressure heats up even more, and the pain and wearing down happens even more?

Phicinfan

Administrator
And now for those who won't be in camp -
Per ESPN - Julio Jones Wr ATL has stated he won't go to camp unless team reworks his deal, this after ATL has said they won't.

this in my opinion is huge for ATL. As much as folks love M. Ryan and the running game, the passing game works due to Julio. If he holds out, and into the season, Matt Ryan will struggle.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld.com

Rams signed RB Todd Gurley to a four-year, $60 million extension through 2023.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the deal includes $45 million guaranteed, easily a new record for a running back. It completely resets what had been a stagnant market, and gives free-agent-to-be Le'Veon Bell and contract-year back David Johnson something to aim for. Big bucks are always risky for runners, but Gurley is still only 24 (in August). He is getting paid for the prime years of his career. A do-it-all back on a team with a more-limited quarterback, Gurley is the engine of coach Sean McVay's offense.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports J.J. Watt (knee) "crushed" his conditioning test on Monday.

Fresh off making waves with a social media post that had him looking like The Incredible Hulk, Watt is now ready to get in a full camp after his 2017 season ended in Week 5. Back and knee woes have limited Watt to just eight combined games over the past two years after he had previously never missed a contest. Now 29, Watt still has an enormous ceiling, but is coming back with a lot of mileage and wear and tear.

Phicinfan

Administrator
-Rams are in Win Now mode - signing Cooks to a long term deal a few weeks ago, they have not extended Rb Gurley to a $60 Million extension(paying for his best part of career rather than latter part....). Plus they are looking to sign A. Donald to a huge contract soon. Plus the expensive add of Suh on the DL. Net, as long as they have a cheap Qb contract(Goff has this and next year...) they are spending to get tools added.
-Baker Mayfield Qb cle has signed his deal
-Sam Darnold Qb NYJ has not, and is not reporting to camp
-S Earl Thomas made it official and will not report either.
-Tyler Eifert Te cin seems to be an enigma. He states he feels great in social media, but per the team they are still unsure if he can or will contribute. Not sure he is safe to target in FF.
-Wr Brandon Coleman of N.O. heads to PUP with neck issue - this kid can't stay healthy.
-Baltimore HC has stated Flacco is our starting Qb, but Jackson will take snaps this year - Adios Joe, been great......

Phicinfan

Administrator
I have two concerns...
First - is he had some issue - maybe not back to drugs but something
Second - he went to pre-camp - and the pressure or pain or stress from football has him getting those "feelings" again, and he needs to step away and get past it. Issue there is what happens when season starts and the pressure heats up even more, and the pain and wearing down happens even more?
So more reports are out, and evidently as I somewhat feared, the issue has to do with anxiety...and how he handles it, in the past he did it with Weed or alcohol, and is seeking additional counseling for this. My concern is, this is just camp....what happens in season? Is he going to miss a week or so every once in a while?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Josh Allen Qb Buf has signed his rookie deal
Carson Wentz Qb Phi - is not ready for full practice, so may be moved to PUP list - THAT is why they kept Foles.

Phicinfan

Administrator
NY Giants Cb Sam Beal is out for the season with a shoulder injury. No one knows how or where this happened, its assumed it had happened sometime post the supplemental draft the Giants took him in. - Ouch!

Now in the ongoing Gordon Saga - the Browns expect Josh back, but not sure when, and won't comment on possible suspension or not. Browns also lost We Ricardo Louis to injury with a neck injury and are looking to add a wr and YES they are considering Dez Bryant.

JJ. Watt and DeShaun Watson are not placed on PUP list - good for Houston

Phicinfan

Administrator
Browns have signed their 2nd 1st round draft pick - Denzel Ward cb

that leaves only 3 2018 draft picks left unsigned: Sam Darnold 1st round NYJ, Roquan Smith 1st round pick and Dante Pettis wr draft pick of SF(44th overall).

Phicinfan

Administrator
Aaron Donald an official no show. But team stated it has every plan to get him signed and keep him a Ram.
In another plot twist in as the Gordon churns..... The Browns placed him on the Non-report list - which means he could be subject to fines for missing time.....

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Here's the story from the guys in white hats over at rotoworld.com.

Carson Wentz (knee) avoided the active/PUP list.

Wentz is expected to be limited to 7-on-7 drills early in training camp. The Eagles plan to monitor his progress before clearing him for full team reps. It's a best-case scenario for Wentz as he works his way back from December ACL surgery. Avoiding PUP suggests the Eagles are confident Wentz will be ready for Week 1.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter