My personal version of 2009 Draft

jmsmith1

Here's my draft choices.....based off of who I think will be available, etc.

1. Detroit – Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia - Detroit needs to solidify their lines. Its too high to take someone like BJ Raji, but an athletic and versatile lineman makes all the sense in the world. That’s why Detroit wont do it. They’ll take the signal caller, over pay for him, and maybe he’ll survive his first season. Stafford affords the surest bet out of himself, Sanchez, and Freeman. The only way this changes is if the Lions find a way to get Jay Cutler from Denver, but I doubt it…he makes too much sense.

2. St. Louis – Jason Smith, OT, Baylor - With Chris Long, they grabbed a great D line prospect and have made solid moves along that front. But with the release of Orlando Pace, they need to get their LT of the future, especially if they want their cash investment in Marc Bulger to pay any dividends. Smith is a converted tight end but is extremely athletic and has all the makings of a 10 year All Pro.

3. Kansas City – Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest - I believe Kansas City GM Scott Pioli is going to do alot of the same things we saw in New England. Which is build a solid defense and find that QB gem that can be manifested into leading this team. I dont know if Matt Cassel is the answer, but I think Pioli will be salivating at lining up Curry alongside Derrick Johnson and behind Hali and Dorsey to start.

4. Seattle Seahawks – Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia - At one point in the past few years I used to call the Seattle team the DropHawks......their recievers sucked. Houshmandzadeh is now there and they seem to have a consistent catching threat in Notre Dame (and mine) favorite, John Carlson. Keep Hasselbeck on his feet and he can get the ball to his new toy, not to mention Walter Jones is older than Mike Holmgren’s mustache lint. This should be a no brainer.

5. Cleveland Browns – Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas - I think that with Mangini stepping in, he will have a short leash. With all the off season acquisitions to attempt to solidify this D line, I think having Orakpo playing on the end next to a currently no showing Shaun Rogers could keep offenses off the field for a while. Everette Brown is a shot here too, but the Browns will make Orakpo their pick.

6. Cincinnatti Bengals – BJ Raji, DT, Boston College – There is no way the Bengals pass on a stud DT. Raji can fill a glaring weakness in the Bengals D line and give them a run stopper. Something they desperately need in the run heavy AFC North. Raji is flying up draft boards and reaps the rewards. Character issues are non existent, which might help keep Lewis’ job as the Been To Jails head coach.

7. Oakland Raiders – Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri – While I wouldn’t be surprised is Al Davis actually helps his team by selecting a top OT, Maclin seems to be the best player running here. Davis loves the sexy offensive pick (see the last to years) and cant stop micromanaging his coaches. No way he’d let his former O line guru turned head coach take a lineman!

8. Jacksonville Jaguars – Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech – The Jaguars are dying on the O line and the release of Fred Taylor says they are looking to go younger and faster at RB and potentially spread the field more in the passing game. They take the best WR, and arguably the best player in the draft. This could change should Tory Holt jump on board. But the release of Matt Jones makes WR the most pressing need.

9. Green Bay Packers – Everette Brown, DE, Florida State – A lot of boards have Malcolm Jenkins here to aid an aging DB corps, but Brown also is a draft board prince, and is flying. Green Bay has a young stable of LBs and with a stud DE/OLB hybrid like Brown, they’ll be able to pressure a lot of QBs, aiding the secondary. Brown could come in and command double teams along side Kampman opening up holes for young stud LB AJ Hawk.

10. San Francisco 49ers – Mark Sanchez, QB, USC – This literally seems like a match made in heaven. Sanchez is a product of Mission Viejo HS in California, went to USC, and will stay in the Golden State. The inability of Hill to play QB at a consistent level makes him much less attractive an option and with new HC Mike Singletary taking charge, he’ll want his own young field general running the show. Maybe in three years when the Alex Smith taste has worn off, and the Niners have fired Singletary, Pete Carrol might actually take the job!

11. Buffalo Bills – Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State – Maybin will step in to aid in a 3-4 defense that is desperately needing an infusion of pass rushing talent. This is one of the more “lock” picks of the draft. The Bills are one of the worst pass rushing teams in the league. With added off season talent on the O side (namely TO), Jauron needs a play making presence on defense to save his job.

12. Denver Broncos – Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU – The difference between DE dropoff and the remaining ILBs is too great to ignore. Denver’s defense cost them a playoff shot and McDaniels will have to bolster a pretty weak defense before turning his eyes to the offense. The Broncos defense is hideous and McDaniels has enough to worry about trying to keep Cutler on the team. Denver’s switch to a 3-4 defense will make DE a priority as this class has some decent LBs, but DE’s are a commodity.

13. Washington Redskins – Andre Smith, OT, Alabama – Smith will not slide past Dan Snyder and the Redskins. In a pass heavy division, there is a premium on tackles and Smith upgrades the line immediately. Not to mention, his laissez-faire attitude of late is a perfect recipe for more disaster in the nation’s capital. Both tackles are a mess for the Skins, and keeping Jason Campbell healthy is a necessity for them to have any chance at a wild card spot.

14. New Orleans Saints – Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State - The Saints need help at CB and although they have made some attempts to shore up the Jason David mess, they are still lacking. Jenkins is consistently the most technically sound CB in the draft and his speed is somewhat suspect. He’s better than anyone they’ve got right now.

15. Houston Texans – Rey Maulauga, LB, USC – The Texans just cant get solid pressure on the QB and William Moore is slipping. Maulauga is tough enough to thrive in Kubiak’s 3-4 and will be the beneficiary of a solid 08 season and will provide the Texans with what they desire most….Defensive Pressure. He’s got lingering issues regarding his hamstring injury from the combine, but he’s the top LB on the board and any safety is a reach at this point for Houston.

16. San Diego Chargers – Clay Matthews, LB, USC – With the franchise tag on Sproles, the Chargers jump on their biggest need with the best LB available and at a good value. Matthews is rated higher on some boards over Maulauga and some thing that Houston may take him instead. Matthews can come in and play alongside Merriman, giving the Chargers a very talented young combo of LBs to wreak havoc on opponent’s running games.

17. NY Jets – Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State – This becomes a three way pick. Moreno, Harvin, or Wells. The Jets already have a speedster with return ability in Washington, Jones is still a question regarding his contract so I could see Wells here. Harvin will bear the “Bush” problem, too early to take someone without a clear definition of where they’ll play. Well’s speed question was answered when he ran a 4.31 at his pro day. He will provide versatility to Rex Ryan as the Thomas Jones saga unfolds.

18. Chicago Bears – Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland - Chicago has to be able to score and this speedy product is an ideal fit. Much like the Devin Hester, a Harvin pick would leave them with two speedy players without a true position. Harvin could be a shot here as he did show well at his pro day, especially in route running, but Chicago knows how to target players that fit their system. Heyward Bey is the perfect fit.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee - Ayers is consistently sliding up draft boards, but not enough to land him in the top 15 picks. Tampa still needs help at QB, but Freeman is a huge reach here and getting the best value is here with a solid athlete that is finding his niche in Ayers. The release of a lot of older defensive dead weight makes this a necessity.

20. Detroit Lions – Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss – Detroit could go O line here, but they still have good picks left in which to grab an OT prospect. I think this could be a OT/DT battle. Jerry is a flyer on the boards and is a steal at #20. The Lions have the first pick of the 2nd round and can get a mid 1st round talent for a steal at OT, but Oher is too good to pass up and will anchor the O line. Detroit could still get Jerry or Brace to aid a D line that just had Cory Redding traded for Julian Peterson.

21. Philadelphia Eagles - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia – The time for McNabb is now. I can see Philly attacking another WR in free agency. Again, OL could be a choice, but Moreno is a steal here and compliments Westbrook in a faster more powerful version of Correll Buckhalter. Not to mention that Moreno can hit the hole and get those yards for a first down. With Buckhalter and Westbrook gone, the Eagles have to take a RB here, but Andy Reid could very well stick to his guns and go with one of the lines first. If he does, McNabb and the Eagles will be on the sidelines come playoff time.

22. Minnesota Vikings – Alex Mack, OC, Cal – Yet another team that could push for an CB prospect, but I think they will solidify their O line first. Mack is the premiere center on the board and with the loss of Matt Birk, the Vikings need a stalwart on the line to keep AD and his running happy. Childress will address the secondary later and get great value. Some would see the Vikings taking a QB here, but I think they give the Rosenfels/Jackson situation time to develop. Besides, the QB crop in 2010 will be a lot better.

23. New England Patriots – Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia – Cushing will fall as speculation ensues that he used steroids in college. Belicheck will find himself in need of a LB only because of aging stars, but he will find himself in heaven. With an old ass LB corps that already had an upgrade last year with Jerod Mayo, Belichek adds another cog in his system with a solid LB prospect that could make Bruschi retire in a year. Sintim can play all over the field an is one of those interchangeable parts in the Patriots assembly line.

24. Atlanta Falcons – Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State – How do you keep the wheel’s churning for your franchise QB that just won ROTY honors? You give him the best athlete available and the best TE in the draft. Pettigrew could seriously be considered top 10 pick athletic talent. Atlanta could go all different directions here but Pettigrew is a steal here.

25. Miami Dolphins – Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois – Some will say this is a stupid pick, but Parcells will take a long look at CB with the nothing across from Will Allen. Harvin would instantly provide another weapon on the offensive side and the draw of the hometown hero will fill seats. He can still land quality OL talent in later picks but Davis makes the most sense, and I think Parcells can handle any motivational issue, if it still is one.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest– The Ravens parted ways with longtime CB Chris McAlister and Smith is a young talented kid that can thrive in a veteran laden environment, allowing management to concentrate on other needs. With a veteran presence like Lewis, Smith will work and keep himself ready to play.

27. Indianapolis Colts – Percy Harvin, WR, Florida – With the release of Marvin Harrison, it seems a sure bet that the Colts take a WR and Harvin is arguably the top wideout on the board. The only way Harvin doesn’t get taken here is if he gets taken earlier. His return ability, good route running, and speed make him a good compliment to Reggie Wayne.

28. Philadelphia Eagles - Hakeem Nicks, WR, UNC – The Eagles will win the lottery here, getting their need at WR, and probably one of the best receivers in the draft. Great value and great selection should yield great results. Another offensive weapon to keep McNabb and the Eagles relevant in the division. The time is now if Reid ever plans on getting the pawns in position to make a move offensively.

29. New York Giants – Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers – Granted the Giants could likely fill other needs but with Burress facing legal troubles, and no true other WR prospect worthy, Brit ends up being it. Getting a blue collar WR that can possibly replace Burress would be a find here for the G Men.

30. Tennessee Titans – Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss – The Titans love speed (see Chris Johnson) and with the balanced rushing attack they have, they could look WR here. But Nate Washington was signed and will be able to stretch defense as a decoy and as a WR. He also adds return ability. The big loss of the offseason was obviously Haynesworth and neither of the replacement DTs are over 300 pounds.

31. Arizona Cardinals – Brian Cushing, LB, USC – If the NFL has taught us one thing it’s that RB can be found nearly anywhere. So rather than waste this pick and reach for a HB, they do the smart thing and take the best LB available to keep the defense moving. They are still trying to resign Boldin and getting a deal done is easier with a young defense not eating up all the cap room.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – DJ Moore, CB, Vanderbilt – The Steelers would love to have Mack fall to them, but with Minnesota stealing their thunder, they will take the best CB on the board. It also doesn’t hurt that he is a solid character, high integrity, blue collar player.

Last edited by a moderator:

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
One of the more sensible mocks I've seen anywhere on the internet or in print, except Monroe is a UVa guy, not Ole Miss.

I also think Ayers is underrated as I haven't seen him go as high in most mocks as he should. Also, Pittsburgh will take a highly rated lineman (Unger) over what will ultimately be a nickel CB, at least in the first round.

Nice work bro.

EDIT-I may consider flipflopping Maybin and Everette Brown. Virtually the same player but I think Maybin's been climbing slightly while brown's been holding his position. But that's probably nitpicking.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Here's my draft choices.....based off of who I think will be available, etc.
:thumbsup: Nice job JM. But I am going to have to disagree on some of your picks

1. Detroit – Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia - Detroit needs to solidify their lines. Its too high to take someone like BJ Raji, but an athletic and versatile lineman makes all the sense in the world. That’s why Detroit wont do it. They’ll take the signal caller, over pay for him, and maybe he’ll survive his first season. Stafford affords the surest bet out of himself, Sanchez, and Freeman. The only way this changes is if the Lions find a way to get Jay Cutler from Denver, but I doubt it…he makes too much sense.

2. St. Louis – Jason Smith, OT, Baylor - With Chris Long, they grabbed a great D line prospect and have made solid moves along that front. But with the release of Orlando Pace, they need to get their LT of the future, especially if they want their cash investment in Marc Bulger to pay any dividends. Smith is a converted tight end but is extremely athletic and has all the makings of a 10 year All Pro.

3. Kansas City – Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest - I believe Kansas City GM Scott Pioli is going to do alot of the same things we saw in New England. Which is build a solid defense and find that QB gem that can be manifested into leading this team. I dont know if Matt Cassel is the answer, but I think Pioli will be salivating at lining up Curry alongside Derrick Johnson and behind Hali and Dorsey to start.

4. Seattle Seahawks – Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia - At one point in the past few years I used to call the Seattle team the DropHawks......their recievers sucked. Houshmandzadeh is now there and they seem to have a consistent catching threat in Notre Dame (and mine) favorite, John Carlson. Keep Hasselbeck on his feet and he can get the ball to his new toy, not to mention Walter Jones is older than Mike Holmgren’s mustache lint. This should be a no brainer.
Nice job at these four. I agree...the smart and good move for Detroit would be OT, but I do think in the end they go Qb. The ONLY way I see them going OT...is if they have a deal in hand with Denver for Cutler. Since that doesn't seem to be the case........nice job!

5. Cleveland Browns – Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas - I think that with Mangini stepping in, he will have a short leash. With all the off season acquisitions to attempt to solidify this D line, I think having Orakpo playing on the end next to a currently no showing Shaun Rogers could keep offenses off the field for a while. Everette Brown is a shot here too, but the Browns will make Orakpo their pick.
Here is where I have one concern. I agree on the position...just not sure of the player. I have seen multiple reports that say Orakpo looked awful at his pro day....but also have seen many that say he looked great. He is losing some steam here...and Maybin had a HUGE work out. I would not be shocked to see Maybin go here. But for now...Orakpo might be it.

6. Cincinnatti Bengals – BJ Raji, DT, Boston College – There is no way the Bengals pass on a stud DT. Raji can fill a glaring weakness in the Bengals D line and give them a run stopper. Something they desperately need in the run heavy AFC North. Raji is flying up draft boards and reaps the rewards. Character issues are non existent, which might help keep Lewis’ job as the Been To Jails head coach.
Raji would be a great tool...but I think OT is a much, much, much, much, much more need here. I think this is where Andre Smith goes...not Raji.

7. Oakland Raiders – Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri – While I wouldn’t be surprised is Al Davis actually helps his team by selecting a top OT, Maclin seems to be the best player running here. Davis loves the sexy offensive pick (see the last to years) and cant stop micromanaging his coaches. No way he’d let his former O line guru turned head coach take a lineman!

8. Jacksonville Jaguars – Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech – The Jaguars are dying on the O line and the release of Fred Taylor says they are looking to go younger and faster at RB and potentially spread the field more in the passing game. They take the best WR, and arguably the best player in the draft. This could change should Tory Holt jump on board. But the release of Matt Jones makes WR the most pressing need.

9. Green Bay Packers – Everette Brown, DE, Florida State – A lot of boards have Malcolm Jenkins here to aid an aging DB corps, but Brown also is a draft board prince, and is flying. Green Bay has a young stable of LBs and with a stud DE/OLB hybrid like Brown, they’ll be able to pressure a lot of QBs, aiding the secondary. Brown could come in and command double teams along side Kampman opening up holes for young stud LB AJ Hawk.

10. San Francisco 49ers – Mark Sanchez, QB, USC – This literally seems like a match made in heaven. Sanchez is a product of Mission Viejo HS in California, went to USC, and will stay in the Golden State. The inability of Hill to play QB at a consistent level makes him much less attractive an option and with new HC Mike Singletary taking charge, he’ll want his own young field general running the show. Maybe in three years when the Alex Smith taste has worn off, and the Niners have fired Singletary, Pete Carrol might actually take the job!

11. Buffalo Bills – Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State – Maybin will step in to aid in a 3-4 defense that is desperately needing an infusion of pass rushing talent. This is one of the more “lock” picks of the draft. The Bills are one of the worst pass rushing teams in the league. With added off season talent on the O side (namely TO), Jauron needs a play making presence on defense to save his job.
Nice! Agree with all here! :thumbsup: Buffalo may end up with Orakpo if Maybin is taken earlier though.

12. Denver Broncos – Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU – The difference between DE dropoff and the remaining ILBs is too great to ignore. Denver’s defense cost them a playoff shot and McDaniels will have to bolster a pretty weak defense before turning his eyes to the offense. The Broncos defense is hideous and McDaniels has enough to worry about trying to keep Cutler on the team. Denver’s switch to a 3-4 defense will make DE a priority as this class has some decent LBs, but DE’s are a commodity.
Here is the pick that I think hinges on what happens above. The defense was god awful, and any defensive player could go here. I could see Raji here, Maulauga or jackson could go here. Call me silly, but I think Denver goes LB here instead...with Rey sitting there staring at them.

13. Washington Redskins – Andre Smith, OT, Alabama – Smith will not slide past Dan Snyder and the Redskins. In a pass heavy division, there is a premium on tackles and Smith upgrades the line immediately. Not to mention, his laissez-faire attitude of late is a perfect recipe for more disaster in the nation’s capital. Both tackles are a mess for the Skins, and keeping Jason Campbell healthy is a necessity for them to have any chance at a wild card spot.
As stated before...I think Smith is gone at this point. I also think Raji may be gone...but with the big FA signing....they won't go Raji. Nor is Wr a shot. So I see a couple of possibilities. If by chance one of the two top Qbs fall, they go here. Campbell has one year left on his contract. I don't see them reaching for Freeman. So OT is probably more a target. I would probably say Oher here.

14. New Orleans Saints – Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State - The Saints need help at CB and although they have made some attempts to shore up the Jason David mess, they are still lacking. Jenkins is consistently the most technically sound CB in the draft and his speed is somewhat suspect. He’s better than anyone they’ve got right now.

15. Houston Texans – Rey Maulauga, LB, USC – The Texans just cant get solid pressure on the QB and William Moore is slipping. Maulauga is tough enough to thrive in Kubiak’s 3-4 and will be the beneficiary of a solid 08 season and will provide the Texans with what they desire most….Defensive Pressure. He’s got lingering issues regarding his hamstring injury from the combine, but he’s the top LB on the board and any safety is a reach at this point for Houston.

16. San Diego Chargers – Clay Matthews, LB, USC – With the franchise tag on Sproles, the Chargers jump on their biggest need with the best LB available and at a good value. Matthews is rated higher on some boards over Maulauga and some thing that Houston may take him instead. Matthews can come in and play alongside Merriman, giving the Chargers a very talented young combo of LBs to wreak havoc on opponent’s running games.

17. NY Jets – Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State – This becomes a three way pick. Moreno, Harvin, or Wells. The Jets already have a speedster with return ability in Washington, Jones is still a question regarding his contract so I could see Wells here. Harvin will bear the “Bush” problem, too early to take someone without a clear definition of where they’ll play. Well’s speed question was answered when he ran a 4.31 at his pro day. He will provide versatility to Rex Ryan as the Thomas Jones saga unfolds.

18. Chicago Bears – Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland - Chicago has to be able to score and this speedy product is an ideal fit. Much like the Devin Hester, a Harvin pick would leave them with two speedy players without a true position. Harvin could be a shot here as he did show well at his pro day, especially in route running, but Chicago knows how to target players that fit their system. Heyward Bey is the perfect fit.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee - Ayers is consistently sliding up draft boards, but not enough to land him in the top 15 picks. Tampa still needs help at QB, but Freeman is a huge reach here and getting the best value is here with a solid athlete that is finding his niche in Ayers. The release of a lot of older defensive dead weight makes this a necessity.

20. Detroit Lions – Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss – Detroit could go O line here, but they still have good picks left in which to grab an OT prospect. I think this could be a OT/DT battle. Jerry is a flyer on the boards and is a steal at #20. The Lions have the first pick of the 2nd round and can get a mid 1st round talent for a steal at OT, but Oher is too good to pass up and will anchor the O line. Detroit could still get Jerry or Brace to aid a D line that just had Cory Redding traded for Julian Peterson.

21. Philadelphia Eagles - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia – The time for McNabb is now. I can see Philly attacking another WR in free agency. Again, OL could be a choice, but Moreno is a steal here and compliments Westbrook in a faster more powerful version of Correll Buckhalter. Not to mention that Moreno can hit the hole and get those yards for a first down. With Buckhalter and Westbrook gone, the Eagles have to take a RB here, but Andy Reid could very well stick to his guns and go with one of the lines first. If he does, McNabb and the Eagles will be on the sidelines come playoff time.
Can't argue too much with above..as it could change depending on who falls. I just don't see Philly taking Moreno...as he does not fit the receiving aspect of what Philly does. If Oher is still there...that is the pick here.

22. Minnesota Vikings – Alex Mack, OC, Cal – Yet another team that could push for an CB prospect, but I think they will solidify their O line first. Mack is the premiere center on the board and with the loss of Matt Birk, the Vikings need a stalwart on the line to keep AD and his running happy. Childress will address the secondary later and get great value. Some would see the Vikings taking a QB here, but I think they give the Rosenfels/Jackson situation time to develop. Besides, the QB crop in 2010 will be a lot better.

23. New England Patriots – Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia – Cushing will fall as speculation ensues that he used steroids in college. Belicheck will find himself in need of a LB only because of aging stars, but he will find himself in heaven. With an old ass LB corps that already had an upgrade last year with Jerod Mayo, Belichek adds another cog in his system with a solid LB prospect that could make Bruschi retire in a year. Sintim can play all over the field an is one of those interchangeable parts in the Patriots assembly line.

24. Atlanta Falcons – Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State – How do you keep the wheel’s churning for your franchise QB that just won ROTY honors? You give him the best athlete available and the best TE in the draft. Pettigrew could seriously be considered top 10 pick athletic talent. Atlanta could go all different directions here but Pettigrew is a steal here.

25. Miami Dolphins – Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois – Some will say this is a stupid pick, but Parcells will take a long look at CB with the nothing across from Will Allen. Harvin would instantly provide another weapon on the offensive side and the draw of the hometown hero will fill seats. He can still land quality OL talent in later picks but Davis makes the most sense, and I think Parcells can handle any motivational issue, if it still is one.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest– The Ravens parted ways with longtime CB Chris McAlister and Smith is a young talented kid that can thrive in a veteran laden environment, allowing management to concentrate on other needs. With a veteran presence like Lewis, Smith will work and keep himself ready to play.

27. Indianapolis Colts – Percy Harvin, WR, Florida – With the release of Marvin Harrison, it seems a sure bet that the Colts take a WR and Harvin is arguably the top wideout on the board. The only way Harvin doesn’t get taken here is if he gets taken earlier. His return ability, good route running, and speed make him a good compliment to Reggie Wayne.
Again, no real arguements.

28. Philadelphia Eagles - Hakeem Nicks, WR, UNC – The Eagles will win the lottery here, getting their need at WR, and probably one of the best receivers in the draft. Great value and great selection should yield great results. Another offensive weapon to keep McNabb and the Eagles relevant in the division. The time is now if Reid ever plans on getting the pawns in position to make a move offensively.
Again, here you are just wrong. I have told you and you just don't listen. Philly does not feel they have a Wr issue. They also are NOT going to spend another high pick on WR after having done it with Jackson. This pick will be either the best OT available if they went RB above...or Rb or trade down. I will bet you every Vbuck I have Philly doesn't take a Wr in the first round.

29. New York Giants – Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers – Granted the Giants could likely fill other needs but with Burress facing legal troubles, and no true other WR prospect worthy, Brit ends up being it. Getting a blue collar WR that can possibly replace Burress would be a find here for the G Men.

30. Tennessee Titans – Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss – The Titans love speed (see Chris Johnson) and with the balanced rushing attack they have, they could look WR here. But Nate Washington was signed and will be able to stretch defense as a decoy and as a WR. He also adds return ability. The big loss of the offseason was obviously Haynesworth and neither of the replacement DTs are over 300 pounds.

31. Arizona Cardinals – Brian Cushing, LB, USC – If the NFL has taught us one thing it’s that RB can be found nearly anywhere. So rather than waste this pick and reach for a HB, they do the smart thing and take the best LB available to keep the defense moving. They are still trying to resign Boldin and getting a deal done is easier with a young defense not eating up all the cap room.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – DJ Moore, CB, Vanderbilt – The Steelers would love to have Mack fall to them, but with Minnesota stealing their thunder, they will take the best CB on the board. It also doesn’t hurt that he is a solid character, high integrity, blue collar player.
No issues here either.

bobbeaux

houston's def is a 4-3 and they've got demeco ryans in the middle for a long time . . . i agree on lb here, but not mlb . . . ;)

bobbeaux

houston's def is a 4-3 and they've got demeco ryans in the middle for a long time . . . i agree on lb here, but not mlb . . . ;)

however, if one of the top 2 cb's are available at 15, it wouldn't surprise me for houston to take him . . . i think olb is the bigger need, but there is a lot more depth in the olb position this year than cb and could be the pick for round 2 . . . ;)

DearbornDolfan

I can't agree with the Vontae Davis pick. The prototypical Parcells DB is 5'10"3/8 and 189 lbs. Smith is far closer to that model than Davis is. If you don't go Davis, Nicks or Britt has to be the choice, given the comment Parcells made a while back about drafting more offensive weapons.