Michigan coach denies wrongdoing - News Conference

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
anyone hear this, he had a 12 sec pause where he was almost crying.....is this really a Michigan coach???

maverick824

interesting take on this in the UM scout forums....figured I'd put some info on here to see some opinions......

1) up here (yes miller, i'm close enough to say that LOL), while it's pretty widely known that the Free Press is garbage, usually where there's smoke, there's fire....seems that some think that this is an attempt to run Rodriguez out of UM permanently, he's not exactly endeared himself to the alumni and boosters over the past year

2)The NCAA rulebook, which anyone who's followed this at all now knows, is 20 hours a week during the season in team related activities, including games, and just 8 hours a week in the offseason. Now, "voluntary" workouts by the players such as filmwork, lifting, etc, don't count toward this.......in any event, there is a huge gray area where this is concerned....i'm fairly confident that ANY student-athlete is putting FAR more hours a week over and above the "guidelines," and I'm also certain that just about every S&C coach in the country has an office in the facility LOL.....the staff isn't allowed to hold the workout, but I'm certain (and this goes for any program in the country) that a player putting the extra time and work in will be seeing much more significant PT than one who is following the guidelines, nothing more, and I'm also pretty certain that the S&C coach is overseeing the work......

To me, simply put, I personally tend to think he's losing some of his players, what the percentage is, who knows, but when something like this comes out, it reflects on the coach and his program, and I think we clearly see that......realistically though, what cures this? As stated above, I don't think just axing him is going to be beneficial at the moment, they've got too much invested in the system. Had this happened 3 months ago, maybe a different story, but not a week before kickoff. Really, what move is possible that doesn't set the program back even further right now? We've gone from a traditional Big Ten team, to recruiting for speed and athleticism in a completely different scheme, losing several players to transfer and decommitments over two recruiting periods now. New coach = new philosophy = different recruiting standards.......chances are we see the same upheaval from RRod's recruit classes under a new coach, right?

catman

Baseball "Expert"
There was a discussion about this subject on ESPN this evening and the consensus is that 20 hours of football related activity just isn't enough to field a competitive team. I'm sure USC has their players watching films (or whatever media they use now) on their own time to avoid this problem. I'm sure Ohio State's players lift weights without coaches present to get around this time limit.
If this is the only problem Michigan has, the problem is minor.

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
anyone hear this, he had a 12 sec pause where he was almost crying.....is this really a Michigan coach???

I was shocked by this. And it happened several times! It wasn't like he got choked up once and that was it he got choked up at least twice.

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
On a serious note (yeah, i'm being serious...mark the calender), something tells me that this is a isolated incident with the minority of players. Since we don't know who the players are yet, i'm wondering if these are players that Lloyd Carr had recruited and with him leaving, they felt betrayed. With Rich Rodriguez coming in, with a different coaching style and different play calling, these players are unwilling for change.

Food for though....

maverick824

On a serious note (yeah, i'm being serious...mark the calender), something tells me that this is a isolated incident with the minority of players. Since we don't know who the players are yet, i'm wondering if these are players that Lloyd Carr had recruited and with him leaving, they felt betrayed. With Rich Rodriguez coming in, with a different coaching style and different play calling, these players are unwilling for change.

Food for though....

see, I do agree with this to an extent.....some of these players coming forward COULD be Carr guys that had a "spread" guy pass them on the DC(or a guy who's just been busting it harder), however, there's one big problem I have with that theory......Lloyd's office is right down the hall from Rodriguez's.....Lloyd still has a very close connection with this program, so I wouldn't think he'd allow players he's developed a "bond" with to actively mutiny on the current HC......would he? :)

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
......Lloyd's office is right down the hall from Rodriguez's.....Lloyd still has a very close connection with this program, so I wouldn't think he'd allow players he's developed a "bond" with to actively mutiny on the current HC......would he? :)

The explosion you just heard was MtTacWa's Theory being totally blown out of the ground...mushroom cloud will linger for days after his stupid mistake of forgetting that Lloyd Carr is still at UM.... :runaround:

Ahhhhh....good point...:thumbsup:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Speaking on the Carr thing Tac hit on, Id say so.

Im sorry if I offend anyone, but those were soft/lazy pussies. I remember last year when so many of them were in tears or quitting because they were having to get their asses in shape and actually work hard.

You can rest assured Jim Tressels boys will be gladly putting in the extra work those guys cried about.