Magini Impressed With Backup RB Jerome Harrison

Coachnorm

Browns coach Eric Mangini spoke in glowing terms about RB Jerome Harrison Thursday, saying that he "likes what he's seen" from Jamal Lewis' backup.

Keep in mind that he is getting a closer look at Harrison with Jamal Lewis skipping some team activities with a sore ankle. But Harrison is one of those RBs that have looked good when pressed into service and has a very nice YAC average despite the small sample of carries. With Jamal Lewis at 30 this year Harrison may be a nice target for those of you joining/drafting in new Dynasty leagues this year.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Harrison is a late round flyer, but could have some upside. I do not see a 15+ carry a game guy in Harrison though. Nice change of pace and role player. The Browns also drafted the rookie out of Clemson, Davis. He may get a shot at the back-up role as well and if something would happen to Lewis, I could see a RBBC with Harrison and Davis instead of either taking the full load.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Harrison appears to be the overlooked player in the mocks I've been in. Where in a start up draft would you project his value?

I took him in the 20th round of a winter start up league (Outlaw County). I've always liked his potential to make the most of his complimentary carries. If Mangini ends up giving him a 30% of the action, his speed could end up making that a nice value.

I took him in the 20th round of a winter start up league (Outlaw County). I've always liked his potential to make the most of his complimentary carries. If Mangini ends up giving him a 30% of the action, his speed could end up making that a nice value.

Sounds like that would be the right portion of the draft to consider him but 30% of the carries is rather optimistic isn't it?

Remote Controller

I drafted him as a rookie in my main Dynasty league and have held onto him. I always felt he had more to offer than he was being able to show. I hope he gets this chance.

Coachnorm

Consider his per carry averages of 7.2 and 6.2 the past two seasons -- and Mangini's experience with a similar player in Leon Washington

ExperiencedRookie

I'm afraid that the Browns don't have the proper replacement in line for when Lewis is done. I see them going out and getting someone after this season.

I just don't think they have a future #1 RB on their squad right now. Could be underestimating these guys though.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I'm afraid that the Browns don't have the proper replacement in line for when Lewis is done. I see them going out and getting someone after this season.

I just don't think they have a future #1 RB on their squad right now. Could be underestimating these guys though.

I have a feeling you are right on this.....the only one I may give a shot to is the rookie Davis, but he never carried the load in college, so until he does, I'd say you have to assume your statement is the case.

I don't think anyone confuses Harrison with a true #1.

ExperiencedRookie

This was a situation I've been paying close attention to this off-season. I was really hoping that Cleveland would find someone interesting for the future. I have my doubts about Jamal going into this season.

I would agree with your assessment completely. Davis would have to really show something for me to consider him a possible longterm answer.

Little Big Head

Jetsfan4life
I saw Mangini waste the talents of Leon Washington too often to get that excited about Harrison. If James Davis doesnt get a shot to show something then i have a feeling they draft a RB next year

Remote Controller

• -- Browns RB Update --
    Sun May 24, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com​
  • The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Browns RB Jamal Lewis spent a lot of time with a trainer pulling a sled during OTAs as he rehabs from off-season ankle surgery. He said: "I just do what the trainers ask me to do, follow the protocol the doctors gave me. I'm feeling good and moving good and just ready to get back out there." When will that be? "I'm not sure," Lewis said. Lewis turns 30 on Aug. 26. The backups are RB Jerome Harrison and rookie RB James Davis. Davis comes from the same Atlanta neighborhood as Lewis and attended the same Douglass High School. "He's a hard-working player," Lewis said of Davis. "I kind of followed him over the years. He's a hard runner, a big back. He's a prototype running back. I look for good things from him." For the record, Lewis and Davis are both listed at 5-11, but Lewis, at 245 pounds, is 30 pounds heavier.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Harrison is a very similar player in style to Jarious Norwood of Atlanta. He just hasn't got nearly as many touches over the years.

He's a fine compliment to Lewis's style and in "real" football terms, he and Davis would make a decent commitee backfield after Lewis finally wears down. For fantasy purposes, I wouldn't worry about either of the young guys until Lewis is out of the picture, unless it's a Dynasty league.

Remote Controller

Browns | Jerome Harrison turning heads in camp Sat May 23, 08:55 PM
Coach Mangini commented "He has done a really nice job these first two days. I've been really happy with what I've seen from him. It is extremely early but he's done a nice job, whether it's with blitz pickups, his check downs, the route, hitting his aiming points, the way that he has worked, where he is physically; I think all of those things have been positive."
Our view: Jerome Harrsion is very dangerous with the ball in open space and he uses his quick initial burst to get by defenders before they even realize what happened. The Browns drafted James Davis to compete with Harrison for the backup job behind Jamal Lewis.

Remote Controller

Browns | Jerome Harrison to get more touches on 1st and 2nd down in 2009? Thu May 28, 09:16 PM
Browns head coach Eric Mangini noted one way of preserving Lewis over the long haul is to use Harrison more on first and second down. "You can work the running back rotation a lot of different ways," Mangini said. "I've done it different styles in New York, where Leon (Washington) was able to take some first and second down reps off the starter. How that's going to play out we'll just have to see and try to get the best mix."
Our view: Harrison is very dangerous with the football in open space, but when asked to run between the tackles he's not very effective. Mangini could use Harrison a lot like he used Leon Washington with the Jets. Keep an eye on Jerome Harrison late in your fantasy drafts if you're a Jamal Lewis owner.

ExperiencedRookie

This is certainly an intriguing situation. If Mangini is to use this cat like he used Leon last year, he could be very explosive and a deep fantasy sleeper.

I'm more concerned with nabbing the 1st between the tackles RB who comes to Cleveland though. Jamal has little to no time left in the NFL and someone is going to have to step in very soon and carry the load.

Regardless of the state of the Cleveland offense, their offensive line is bad ass! Any RB with fresh legs who gets behind them is headed for some monster seasons.

Remote Controller

Browns | Lewis misses practice Tuesday Tue Jun 2, 06:15 PM
Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns RB Jamal Lewis did not participate in the team's organized team activity Tuesday, June 2.
Our view: Jerome Harrison has been getting a majority of the 1st team work with Lewis on the sidelines. Harrison is dangerous in the open field, but does not have much success running between the tackles. The Browns drafted RB James Davis to perhaps be the RB of the future. If Lewis struggles to stay healthy during the year we could see more of Davis with Harrison maintaining his change of pace role.