Lions hire Gunther Cunningham as DC

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Jim Schwartz makes his first big hire, and this is it. Gunther Cunningham had his turn as a head coach and failed pretty badly, but he was a hit as a defensive coordinator.... a decade ago. The last time this guy coordinated a top 10 defense, it was largely because of a guy by the name of Derrick Thomas.

Clearly the Lions are making a splash here on defense though, and you might be smart to expect a couple of big defensive FAs and then a lot of early draft attention as well. I'm not sure who it would be right now, but I could even see some heavy rumors of the draft's top defender going at #1 as well. Schwartz is off to a good start, at least by mindset.

Yet another defensive addition up north as the division gets Blacker and Bluer.

Runnik's Hambones

I don't know about their #1 pick going defense, only because I heard jim schwartz say once that he believes the most important possision on the field is QB. But I do think that FA and the draft as a whole will be very heavily defensivly based.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
hard for me to believe that he really believes QB is the most important on the field when he just got done with a 13-3 season with kerry collins at the helm.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
If there was a QB worth the #1, that would be different. I just don't see it this year. Don't make the Alex Smith, Ryan Leaf mistake. Go Defense, or OL and build the team right.

Runnik's Hambones

Where I agree with you both, first being that, wow, you won a lot with Kerry Collins, let's not forget that he was not head coach. And perhaps the QB issue would have been handled differently had he had a say in who was QB. I'm pretty sure he was told to focus on the D, and that's it.

Phic, I couldn't agree with you more, I think they need to go D and OL the whole freaking draft. Build your core around the stars you already have, being CJ and KS.

However, his comment was (paraphrasing a bit) "I believe the QB to still be the most important possision on the field. This is because if you have a great QB, you can afford to be mediocre in other places on the team"

Runnik's Hambones

You wont find any argument here DB. Just saying, from the interview I heard, it sounded to me like it wouldn't be surprising if he goes with the good ole QB from Georgia with the first pick.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Unfortunately I think the Lions will take Matt Stafford with #1. I would much rather see them take Andre Smith as #1 and build the team's core, like Phic and Runnik pointed out, then see if any QB they have now can play with a competent O-line. Calvin Johnson can catch anything anyone throws at him, and Kevin Smith looked good his first year.