Judgement Day arrives for Penn State

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The university will be banned from bowl games for four years, pay a $60 million fine & vacate all wins dating back to 1998. Scholarships will also be rolled back.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Joe Paterno loses his record for the most wins in major college football. Penn State will not be elgible to play for the Big Ten Title for the next four years due to the post season ban.They lose a whopping 20 scholarships a year over the next four years and five years probation. Current and incoming players are free to transfer to another school and compete there immediately.

No it's not the "death penalty" but they'll be struggling for air for the forseeable future. http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...hment-jerry-sandusky-sex-abuse-scandal-072312

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I disagree, it is pretty much the death penalty. Who can they recruit with a bowl ban for 4 years?!?!? Not to mention the loss of scholarships. Not going to be pretty in PSU land for a while.

elrocko

The Death Penalty would have been an easier storm to weather.

This not only kills the program for 4 years, but it is going to take another 4-5 years AFTER the sanctions are complete to even field a semi-competitive team.

I like this penalty, I think it sends a clear message to other campuses that the NCAA is becoming more serious about breaches of conduct. (Beware Miami) This is probably going to be more effective than issuing the Death Penalty.

As for the proud legacy of Joe Paterno? There is no longer a legacy to be proud of . . .

RLLD

The punishment certainly impacts their immediate success. And perhaps its impact will ripple into the next ten years. I think the removal of Paterno from his pedestal will also impact the school. Kids who previously sought to be a member of the rich tradition of Penn St, and serve under the legend himself are now perhaps less likely to buy into that.
When the time comes they will need to redefine themselves, and unfortunately split from the past that enabled them to stand so tall.