Jeff Garcia signs with Oakland Raiders

Mike

Administrator
Think you might have the wrong link posted :)

As for the topic, if the Raiders are interested in Garcia, are they interested in him as a backup or a starter? He would be the best quarterback on the roster in my opinion.

RLLD

Garthia would be an instant boost for the Raiders, their QB drafting of late is deplorable, they need to speculate on the FA market, should have made moves for Cassell.

Mike

Administrator
If the Raiders are indeed pursuing Garcia, (or Garthia as RLLD puts it :)), what does this say toward their committment to Jamarcus Russell?

It would see pointless to sign Garcia and put him on the bench, when he is clearly the better quarterback at that point, but at the same time, you do permanent damage to a quarterback that you have Millions invested in.

Raiders gotta be very careful with a move like this.

ExperiencedRookie

How long can the Raiders stay committed to Russell though? Seems like this guy has already locked up his status as a bust. I can't see him ever coming around.

They either need to give him the weapons to win, or cut their losses and move on.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
The noise I heard was that they are bringing him in for veteran leadership and to show Russell how to work as a starting quarterback. More than one source is questioning his work ethic. Total shock, that one. Garthia (old school, RLLD) would be a better game manager than Russell if that says anything. But as long as his big butt can lob 75 yard bombs over the heads of receivers he'll be starting in Oakland.

Mike

Administrator
You know though, as soon as Russell struggles, and the offense looks stagnate, the chants for Garcia will start ramping up.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
raiders fans are too dumb to chant for garcia. al davis will keep russell in at all costs. i think the move is a non factor.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I agree with Mike, this has to be a confidence killer for JaMarcus.

On the other hand this is a beautiful move by Oakland. With the running game they should have, and if they can draft some wr talent...or get Ocho.....the defense did well enough that they could be a factor in a very poor division. KC and Denver rebuilding, and SD ready to implode, thanks to GM....it wouldnt' take much to win that division.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
JaMarcus screwed JaMarcus when he held out. If VY can stay planted on the bench behind a vet who can win, Russell sure can too.

RLLD

Russell may or may not be an NFL Qb, I am not sure that can be determined on the recent or current Raiders.

If he can get some more time to develop while Garcia takes the lead, and perhaps even mentors him, I hope he looks upon the move as more of an opportunity than anything else.

If the Raiders are unsure they almost have no choice BUT to keep him for the time being. Cant release him or even trade him right now.

There might be a few teams who would be willing to take a chance on the kid, but he would need to show more upside than what is now apparent