Jay Cutler: What team does he land on?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
A separate thread from the "situation" thread, a discussion of where could he end up in 2009 and what kind of things would need to be done to make the trade happen, sort of a "Be the GM thing"

A possibility, and what a crazy one this would be, is trading Cutler to Kansas City for Matt Cassel.

Not going to happen, but a good start.

efactor

Coming at you
To me, Detroit seems almost too obvious. They have the #1 pick to dangle and as bad as the situation is getting in Denver (at least is seems really bad), the Broncos may be willing to let him go despite this being a bad year to draft #1.

SF needs a long term solution at QB. They could give up the number 10 pick and maybe a first or second next year. As a fan, I would love to see someone of Cutlers ability in SF, but that "deer in the headlights" look that Cutler has on his face most of the time worries me. Great physical talent, but lacks leadership skills.

Will be interesting to see how this whole mess plays out...........

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
To me the most obvious choice is cleveland. Not sure Mangini is solid on Quinn. They can trade Qbs, and Cleveland throw in a pick and you have a deal.

otherwise it will have to be a team that has a high enough pick to let Denver get Sanchez or Stafford.
So Detroit, Jacksonville(do they want to?), Seattle(doubt it), Cincy..Nope....maybe San Fran.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
The most obvious is my wife's pick; Cleveland. Who knows if Mangina is enamoured with either of the guys he has to choose from or if Doogie would be happy to start DA or Quinn? Remember, the new Bronco regime signed Chris Simms (stop laughing) and may go with him this season which puts Denver in a position to go after picks and positions other than quarterback. Rodgers could be the guy he's looking at along with picks. He could plug a gaping current hole on defense and then turn Simms into his little puppet on the field. So a mixture of draft picks, Rodgers and then lets bring Tampa back into the discussion for a third party to pick up Quinn or DA inexchange for picks sending Cutler to either Tampa or Cleveland.

This may never happen but it could make for an entertaining off season.

deuce4321

Driller
I think Jets are the obvious choice here unless they have "committed" to Clemmens the way GB committed to Rodgers.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Without looking at cap numbers/ramifications, is Cutler worth Culpepper AND the #1 overall pick? Considering Detroit has an additional first-rounder, this seems to be fair value and would likely get a deal done.
Then Denver takes Stafford, who in reality has a very similar skillset to Cutler anyway.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Without looking at cap numbers/ramifications, is Cutler worth Culpepper AND the #1 overall pick? Considering Detroit has an additional first-rounder, this seems to be fair value and would likely get a deal done.
Then Denver takes Stafford, who in reality has a very similar skillset to Cutler anyway.
:nono: I think in Detroit's case...the first round pick and additional picks make up for the lack of Qb. I don't see Denver wanting to touch Culpepper. But get a couple picks say the #1 and a 2nd or 3rd or a first rounder next year...and sign a fill in Qb like Garcia or leftwich..............

Phicinfan

Administrator
Hot rumor floating around PFT is that Cook was in Buffalo Monday. Now he is the Agent for both Cutler and Scheffler. Buffalo needs a TE badly. But thinking it through.....Buffalo could trade Edwards and a top pick to Denver for Cutler? Hmmmm......

bodey24

Staff member
On Espn First Take this morning they were discussing a Cutler for Romo trade. Anyone think this could happen?

mills

Don't really know why Dallas would want to trade Romo, he has built a relationship with most of the players on that offense, so they would be taking a step back if this were to happen.